Off Beat China Locations

Search

Off Beat China Locations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off Beat China Locations

My husband and I are trying to plan to trip to China in July, 2006. I have some frequent flier seats on hold, so I'm planning the land portion. We plan on being gone about 14 days and plan on doing the typical tour of Beijing, Xian and Shanghai for the usual 8 or 9 days, but we also want to add in something more unusual. About 10 years ago we went to Guilin and Hong Kong as an extension to Thailand, so we would rather not go to those locations again. We also aren't too interested in a Yangtze cruise. Some of the off beat locations I am thinking of are Dunhuang, Dazu, Luoyang,Datong, and/or Huangshan, although I don't know if you would consider Huangshan that off beat. (I am interested in this area, however.) I have searched many tour operators listed on this site, but for the most part, it seems their tours are over and over again the same. I have been thinkig of contacting some of them to customize a tour for me. I also have done a search on this site for comments on some of these places like Dunhuang and it seems that there haven't been a lot of posts, at least not in recent history. So I am wondering has anyone been to any of these out of the way locations? What do you think of them and how did you arrange the travel?
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:01 PM

There are many ways to go to these places. You can go on your own and just use guides locally, you can use government-run CITS to arrange for various portions, etc...

But let me tell you one thing. While those places you mention may seem "off beat" for you, they are all extremely heavily travelled, but foreigners as well as domestic Chinese tourists.

Places like Dunhuang are swarmed with international tourists.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 11:01 PM

May I suggest:
1. Qindao to Weihai, take Ferry boat to dalian or Icheon, south Korea
2. Pinyou, Shanxi Province
3. Kumning to Jianhong in Yunan Province, then fly to Laung Prabang, Laos
4. Dailian, shenyan, Harbin, in Chinese North East (Manchuria)
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:41 AM

Dazu's certainly not a very off beat location. It's about a three hour drive from Chongqing. We found the grottos amazing. Don't miss them!
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:49 AM

banshee,
This probably is not what you are looking for; however, you might get some ideas from ElderTreks or Laurus. I believe they both come out of Vancouver and theoir catalogues cited some interesting destinations.
Judy