Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

China, interested, but scared of the SMOG/bad air

Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

I talk to many friends who visit China and they come back sick. Most are affected by the bad air, unfamiliar food, jet lag and exhaustion. The air scares me the worst. I understand it is getting more terrible every day and many people are dying from the pollution.

Is the air pollution in China's tourist orientated cities as bad as my friends report?
Oct 3rd, 2007, 11:22 AM

This has been discussed many times on this board. Do a search for some of the old discussions.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 01:03 PM

If you have asthma or health problems it might affect you. Cooler weather rather than the heat of summer (when I've always gone) would help also.

The extreme heat and humidity combined with smog did make me aware of taking breaths in Chengdu. Other than that no problems while in China or when I got home.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 01:16 PM

Air quality is a problem if you stay for long, all along the eastern 1/3 of China.

They have palm trees in Hainan.

No airline fly the 757 from N. America to China yet, though a Canadian company is trying to start flight from Vancouver to Macau with a fuel stop in eastern Russia.

They're building a lot of expressways in China, which helps with travel time.

Chinese guests at hotels are often very loud. They talk loud in the hallways and they like to slam doors.

Few crazy people on Chinese flights, so no worry about that. And if you're Caucasian, I doubt many will try to talk to you.

China wasn't open to Westerners in the 50's and 60's so few trip reports from that time.

All tourists sites are jammed with Chinese tourists.

Most hotel rooms with have two separate beds. Push them together if you want to.

But yes, plenty of exotic place within China itself.

Anything else?
Oct 4th, 2007, 05:42 AM

Yes it can be bad - I just got back to Shanghai from a weekend in Beijing and I can tell the difference. It's particularly bad in Beijing and Xi'an - better in Shanghai and Hong Kong.

You won't die. You might feel like you've got a bad cold and your eyes and lungs might sting. As long as you're not staying too long in the badly polluted cities you should be fine.

But yes, it's a big trip to China. You should prepare yourself for jetlag, etc. But try to take it easy, don't try to do too much and enjoy it. It's still an amazing place to visit.
Oct 4th, 2007, 05:45 AM

i would go and enjoy china and forget the problems with air quality...
Oct 7th, 2007, 11:16 PM

ROTFL Ray!You've nailed him.

I can't believe all these posts in just 4 days!!
Oct 8th, 2007, 06:54 AM

Oh, I miss the new one:

No, definitely don't threaten to sue a Chinese airline, or make a scene at the airport. You'll be taken away by the "gongan" in no-time and will be promptly executed. Your organs will be sold to people for transplants.