Number of Days in Varanasi and Kathmandu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am just wondering what the generally accepted number of days is for visting these two cities. For comparison, according to other posts on this board, Agra needs about a day and a half, Jaipur 2-3 days, Dehli 3-4.

For Kathmandu, we are planning to do just "touring". By that I mean stay near the city, and get a feel for the place. Rather than heading out to the hiking areas.

For background info, we plan to be in and/or near the Golden Triangle for 2 to 3 weeks.

Hopefully rhkkmk will see this post as what we would like to do sounds very similiar to his plans and it sounds like he has done considerably more research that we have so far!!

Also on another note. According to the Oberoi website, the Taj Mahal is not open on Fridays. I have never seen this mentioned anywhere else though!! Could anybody else out there please confirm or dispell this!

Kind Regards
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Hi adwinn

as you mentiond to spend the 2-3 days in jaipur and 3-4 days in delhi. In Varanasi 2 Day is enough. We were there and mostly we cover the city in 2 days. In kathamndu you should have 4 day's to explore the city and nearby villige, town and temple.

Taj mahal is closed on friday.

thanks
pat
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 09:58 AM

Hello, darling. I spent two days (throwing up from Delhi Belly) in Varanasi, and thought it was enough. The big draw is a boat ride on the Ganges to view the ghats.

I think you need at least 3 days in Kathmandu. I really enjoyed my time in Kathmandu. Have you read that Maoist rebels have been attacking police stations in Kathmandu? Be very careful!!

John G.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:29 AM

adwinn-

I spent 2 nights in Varanasi- arrived on the morning flight from Delhi on day one, then flew out on the afternoon flight of day 3. I don't know if this is true all year, but in December all flights arrive about 11am and depart about 4pm. It is about an hour drive from the airport to the city.

My daughter had spent 2 weeks there earlier and said this would be more than enough of Varanasi, and she was right.

Varansi is very intense- dirty, noisy, crowded- and the hotels in the ghat areas are not luxury hotels, but you should stay there if you don't want to spend all your time commuting. This a town perfect for walking- or rickshaw riding, and watching. The shopping is good if you are looking for fabric, souvenirs and rustic art,

I really loved it, especially since my DD knew how to get around, but I think you could get plenty of Varanasi in one night/2 days if you plan carefully.

I'd spend the first afternoon shopping, maybe visiting a temple or two, and stop in at the Benares Art center( ask to see the upstairs too). In the late afternoon walk along the ghats and the little lanes just inside of the ghats. There are often big concerts or celebrations going on at the Shiva ghat in the middle.

The next morning, I'd take a dawn boat ride up the Ganges, have breakfast, then go to Godhuali (sp?)market. Head down the tiny little lanes toward the big temple (you won't be allowed in the temple, but there are other smaller ones that you can go into).

Eat lunch, then head back to your hotel and leave for the airport.

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:26 PM

i have now seen it...

we are pretty set on the following now:

delhi: 2 full days plus arrival and departure days.
agra: one full day plus arrival and departure day
jaipur: 3 full days plus arrival and departure days
kathmandu: 3 full days plus arrival and departure days
delhi: arrival day from kathmandu plus all day the next day until late nite departure (it has now been suggested that i might modify that and stay the last nite in the country instead...not sure)
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:07 PM

Greetings! First off, I would certainly suggest two nights in Varanasi! Varanasi is certainly one of the most fascinating places to see in India, if not the world, and certainly deserves two nights! It is the birthplace of Hinduism, one of the oldest living cities in the world, and absolutely extraordinary and an experince of a lifetime! If you want to understand what India is about, what is it's heart, a visit to Varanasi is a must! I would also highly suggest to visit the old city and the Ganges two times AS most people only go in the morning for sunrise! Personally i LOVE EVENINGS ON THE gANGES and the Arti evening Pryaers along the ghats! I always suggest and take my groups to the Ganges for sunset as well, as there is the most beautiful evening ceremony on the Ganges by the local priests. i would also go out on a boat both in the morning and the evening as tO ride on a boat in the moonlight, alongside the prayers, the candles, the singing is spectacular. i would also SUGGEST an evening ride by rickshaw in the old city to get to the Ganges. This is exhilerating an another experince of the trip! Tere is so much to see in the old city, definately wander around the market areas and feel the atmosphere! And also, with your free time the next afternoon in Varanasi, you can also visit Saranath, where the Buddha gave his first sermon. There is also a lovely musueum there and a Temple. The best places to stay in Varanasi are in the Cantonment area and these include th Taj Ganges followed by the Radisson. *Now, about KATHMANDU, unfortunately there are again problems in the valley, but hopefully things will get better again. Generally speaking, if you are just visiting just the KATHMANDU vALLEY, i would suggest at least three nights as you are flying to another country! Visa is also free on arrival for three nights or less!!! There is so much to see in/around KATHMANDU. i lived there for a year way back in 93 and have since been there dozens of times indep and with groups. Actually, there are three citiES in the valley, each with its fascinating Temples and Durbar Square and certainly suggest to see all three, KATHAMNDU, PATAN and my favorite, Bhaktaphur. Also in Kathamndu you must visit, PASHUPATINATH,(hindu temple and cremantion area) Swayumbunath,(monkey Temple) and Boudnath(tibetan area)! U may also want to take a small drive to NARGOKOT(closest mountain town to valley) to get a closer view of the MOUNTAINS. Also, u may want to go on the MOUNTAIN flight one morning. In KATHMANDU i would say the nicest hotel these days is the HYATT, located out near boudnath! It is the newest property, very beautiful and calming! The best downtown would be the YAK and Yeti(older property but with much history attatched) The Taj Annapurna is also there, but has surely seen a better day! aNOTHER very good downtown property is the Radisson. Another thing i may add is the best way to get to KATHMANDU from Varanasi is to fly by Cosmic Air, which is a Nepalese airline. IT is the only direct service these days from Varanasi to kathamndu, as Indian airlines pulled out of the routing last year. If you do not fly cosmic, you will have to be routed again via Delhi! Anyways, Cosmic Air is a flocker plane, about 104 seats. I have flown it a few times and it seems fine. The flight out of Varanasi is in the afternoon. From KATHAMNDU back to Delhi ther are many air options with all the Indian carriers plying the route!~take care, Bonita. *Oh, the Taj MAHAL is closed on Friday as there is a MOSQUE on site, and Friday is the day of PRAYER for muslims. It is open for MUSLIMS for prayer only! *Feel free to contact me with more questions/ suggestions as i know both destinations very well and have stayed at all Hotel properties listed. happy to help! [email protected]
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Firstly, thanks for all the replies.

It sounds like a full 2 plus days for Varanasi and a full 3 days for Kathmandu Valley.

As for the Kathmandu attack. I have only heard of the one attack in the last few months which occurred in the last week. My understanding of the situation was that the attack was not in the city itself and was a organized assult on a rural police station. Civilians and tourists were not harmed.

I also understand that so far the rebels have not caused any trouble in Kathmandu itself.

However, this is just my understanding of the situation. I may be wrong and if I am, please correct me!!! the sooner, the better!!

Coincidently enough as I type this, I am listening to a Podcast of Rick Steves answering a concern about terrorists in Egypt. As he mentions, when they start targeting tourists, then it is time for concern.

Sorry rhkkmk, for some reason I was under the impression that you also planned to include Varanasi in your travels. By the way, on another note, it is kind of funny as my last big trip was to South East Asia last year and in planning that trip you were also a regular contributor of info. So now I think of you as a trusted source of good information!

Kind Regards
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 07:06 AM

I spent 10 days in the Kathmandu Valley a number of years ago. There was plenty to keep me busy for that amount of time, so you'll have to choose what you want to see in 3 days.

Bob, you are flying back to Delhi from Kathmandu? Thai Air used to fly between Bangkok and Kathmandu. I know it pulled out when martial law was called a couple of years ago, but hasn't it resumed service?
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:55 PM

thanks kathie...i checked it out and it is far more expensive to do a triangle flight...

adwinn....glad to help...
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Adwinn, I agree with Bonita that Varanasi is a fascinating city deserving of more than a cursory look. It is said to be the oldest inhabited city in the world, and is sacred to the Buddhists as well as to the Hindus. If you go to the "deer park" at Sarnath, where the Buddha gave his first sermon after achieving enlightenment, you will see stupas dating back to the third century BC, and Buddhist pilgrims from all over the world lighting candles and chanting. The museum there has the Ashoka pillar, a symbol of the nation that is depicted on some of their currency, and many archaeological treasures. There is also a fantastic museum on the campus of Benares Hindu University, which is like a town unto itself.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 04:03 PM

I have a bad habit of inadvertently hitting the Reply button! Anyway, I will just add that the boat trip on the Ganges at dawn is incredibly moving, and "second" Bonita's suggestions above.
As for Kathmandu, I would not want to deter you from going, because it was one of the high points of my trip to India a little over a year ago. You did not mention when you are going, but may want to keep an eye on events there, as the ceasefire is apparently "off" and things may be getting a bit more unsettled in the run-up to the February election. The week before I left for my own trip, the US State Department had issued a grimly worded warning, so I went with some trepidation, but never regretted it for one moment. On the other hand, conditions can deteriorate, so please be safe. Here is an upadate on recent events in the Kathmandu Valley:
http://samudaya.org/articles/archive...t_kathmand.php
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Just read on CNN International that the situation between the Monarchy and Maoists is escalating prior to Elections in early February.

I really hope that this isn't a step towards bigger problems ahead.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:17 AM

There is more turmoil in Nepal. the latest from Reuters and the NYT:
http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/inter...nal-nepal.html