Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

2How many days in Udaipur and Jaisalmer?

Old Nov 30th, 2008, 11:52 PM
kdd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

In planning our Rajasthan itinerary, should I allow 2 full days in Udaipur (with a possible day-trip to Dungarpur) and 3 full days in Jaisalmer OR should it be the other way around i.e. 3 full days in Udaipur and 2 full days in Jaisalmer. Please advise.

Thansk.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 04:56 AM

We spent 2 nights in Jaisalmer and 2 nights in Udaipur. I wish we had had more time in Udaipur since we spent one entire day on a trip to the incredible Jain temple in Ranakpur. Two days was enough for us in Jaisalmer since we didn't do a desert overnight but just went out for sunset.
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
kdd
Original Poster

Hi Marija,

Thanks for your response. My original plans were similar to yours i.e. spend one day in Udaipur and then do a day-trip to Dungarpur on day 2. Now, I have changed it to 2 full days in Udaipur and another day to go to Dungarpur. This will allow us to experience Udaipur more. In Jaisalmer we are only doing a camel ride at sunset, so I think 2 days would be sufficient.

Regards.
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 09:04 PM

In 2002 at the height of the war between India and Pakistan, my family and I drove from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer. We actually were not aware of how close Jaisalmer is to the border. I am not suggesting that you change your plan, but do note that if the relationship between these two countries gets worse, India will be sending troops to the border. Jaisalmer is on the India/pakistan border and the road from Jodhpur to jaisalmer is a two lane road. There were a large number of troops being moved to Jaisalmer. It took us something like 7 to 8 hours to get to Jaisalmer.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 02:28 PM

Hi,
we spent three days in Udaipur last month and loved every minute. Udaipur has some wonderful book shops and is the place to buy coffee table , history or any other books. We took a taxi to Dungarpur, stopping for lunch along the way. This was one of the highlights of our trip, and interestingly our driver had never been to Dungarpur !This is not to be missed.
We had longer in Jaisalmer and enjoyed just exploring the fort, and the evening trip into the desart.
We drove from Jodphur to Udaipur and took in the Jain temple at Ranakpur on the way.
The entire trip was magical.
Enjoy, marymai
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 07:31 AM

Hi
u need more time at Udaipur.
Spend one evening at Jag Mandir Palace hotel.
Entry with boat ride is Rs 300/-
Take 4 pm boat. Have a beer or wine sitting on the lake side cafe chairs, overlooking Lake Palace and City palace.
Then take the boat back to the shore.
Most magical experience is dinner at restaurant Amrai which has 270 degrees lake view. u can see 3 palaces and there reflection in the lake. It is inside hotel Amet haveli.
Don't miss light and sound show at 6 pm at Chittorgarh, 90 minutes from Udaipur. Very good road.
It is once in a life time experience. Check for the english 1 hour show time at the chittor city tourism office or best at the fort. A good guide is very essential.

[email protected]
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 07:35 AM

Hi

Jaisalmer desert Safari is overhyped. too crowded.
Sunset at the gadisar lake is more romantic.
U can actually skip Jaisalmer, there r no security threat but the distance and time is not worth it considering that there r so many good places in Rajasthan. u can spend that time in Jodhpur.

[email protected]
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Extremely difficult to answer this Q without the complete skeleton of your itinerary. In any case Dungarpur is not a days trip from Udaipur and you need to stay at least a night there. If youre driving to Jaisalmer via Jodhpur, then 2 nights in Udaipur is enough. If youre flying out of Udaipur then you need three nights. For Jaislamer, three nights is always a good idea and this has nothing to do with how many nights you have in Udaipur. Obfuscating answer to an obfuscating Q.