Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

How Do I Minimize iPhone Data Costs in Japan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Filmwill's post has inspired this one. For the 2 weeks we are in Japan, I just want to have Internet access whenever I need it with my iPhone whether it be apps or whatever. Given that free wifi is not a given in most places, what is the most economical way to deal with this? I use AT&T. Is it better to rent another device, rather than to rely on mine? I don't mind paying extra for the convenience of using the iPhone...
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 05:36 PM

Pocket wifi router rental will probably be best, IF you don't plan on using the phone function much.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Would I need to make many calls in Japan? No need for business or to home while on vacation...

So tell me more about pocket wifi router rental...
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 05:50 PM

http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

http://www.rentafonejapan.com/Mobile...FYkipQodOHsAIQ

should help. We have one for our company that we use when we go out/travel.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 02:20 AM

I used Rentafone Japan and rented a MiFi (mobile wifi) device for our 2.5 week trip last year.
We used it regularly for 2 devices at the same time, was very helpful to have, especially a couple of times out and about when we got lost (Tokyo addresses make no sense to us at all) and needed Google Maps on the fly!
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 05:34 AM

Craig, take a look at Filmwill's thread on telephone use in Japan. in addition to the MiFi, there is a suggestion about an inexpensive international data plan from Verizon.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 09:58 AM

Craig,
You sound like me. I want to be able to use my phone just as I do at home and use its app features while on the road. For this two week trip I will switch my att plan when I am at the airport using my iphone ATT app.I usually buy the 300 mb per month data plan for a two week trip at $60.00. I will also rent a mifi from rentaphone japan which you have already seen website I am sure. That way I can use my iphone where ever and when ever I want and get mifi usage when downloading lots or transferring lots of data. When I touch down back in the US after a trip I cancel remaining two weeks and rarely go over any data when also renting a mifi even though ATT will pro rate.
The mifi also comes in handy on trains, planes or your hotel room when you want to run you laptop or ipad and other devices that Linda will bring with her. You cant keep it on all day like your phone because of limited battery life (8-10 hrs)but just turn it off and on as needed.

I also like to rent a phone for Linda just for comfort and/or emergency situations. It also gives us the freedom to go our own ways in stores and venues if we wish and meet later and is a must if you get separated on the Tokyo subway(which is not that hard to do). The costs I mention above if you get the whole package might be around $100.00. Not a problem for me when I am already spending thousands on the trip to have what I want on my trip.

Aloha!
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

That sounds like a good way to go, Peter. Jeane will have her iphone with her as well and I think she should get the data plan also. And we can run our phones and my iPad off of the mifi.

How do you get separated in the subway?
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 12:15 PM

Kim, thanks for the link! Global Advanced Communications looks like a great deal (and better MiFi) than Rentafone.

Do you have first-hand experience with them? Are they reliable?

Now I'm hijacking Craig's thread
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 09:57 PM

I used Rentaphone Japan for a conventional flip-phone and mifi rental. We didn't use the phone that much but was glad for the backup.
The mifi works alright but can be sluggish at times when loading a lot of data. It did work on most trains and some out of the way places.
I would preload maps at hotel and save for offline viewing to save battery. You can make screenshots of station maps and schedules and view in your photos without internet.

I like HT's ATT plan change suggestion and will do that next time.

One thing I did was to pack an Apple Airport Express to use in hotel rooms, many of which have only wired internet, the wifi being in the lobby and public areas.
Plug it in, connect the ethernet cable, then you can use multiple devices on your own wifi network.
You may want to ask the tech support at the Apple Store to help with setup. I did my own at home before leaving but forget now how I did it....
Nice to have the laptop, tablet and iphones all connected to web in your room, the wifi is not Mac specific either.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 10:03 PM

Global Advanced is totally fine.
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 09:25 AM

Craig,
We were on the Maronuchi line in the peak rush hour time. When the horde loaded into the car at the station we were separated by maybe 10 feet but within sight distance of each other. When we came to our stop I got off but Linda never made it to the door(you have to be assertive/aggressive especially in rush hour). The train pulled away as I looked at her frowning face through the glass. We have a plan for that and the plan is that the trapped person get off at the next stop and the other meet him/her there. We also talked by phone while I waited the 5 minutes for the next train. Heads up!

Aloha!
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 09:30 AM

Btw....if you are ever caught in that situation by being assertive I didn't mean push and shove like they would in the western world but just move forward saying out loud " gomen.....gomen nasai" which is akin to excuse me in English and you will part the Red Sea.

Aloha!
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 09:43 AM

Best way to minimise phone cost is to borrow Bob's or HT's phone!
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

We'll make sure that all of our train travel occurs at rush hour, Peter.

Pook, that was my back-up plan, LOL.