North India: Car and Driver Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been covered in previous postings, but I wanted to get an up-to-date list of agencies/companies who can arrange safe and reliable car and drivers for tours in Northern India. Recommendations for individual drivers would also be helpful.

For our trip this Nov., a friend and I want to be picked up is Delhi and be transported to Agra and then on to Jaipur. From Jaipur, we are debating flying to Jodhpur on Kingfisher Air (departs 14:30), spend a day in Jodhpur, and then hire another driver to take us to Udaipur via Ranakpur. Alternatively, we could just hire the same driver to take us all the way from Delhi to Udaipur. We are leaning toward the flight option, just to save time and avoid the 6-hr drive from Jaipur from Jodhpur.

We don't want guided tours at each site—just transport to/from each location. We want a safe car (SUV?), A/C, and seatbelts are mandatory. We are booking our own hotels, and don’t want to be pressured to stop or stay anywhere.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 03:05 PM

Although I didn't do this, many on this board recommend taking the train from Delhi to Agra. We went by car and driver.

You can get a car and driver in Agra (Ramesh Meena - Ram) who now owns his own company, India by Car and Driver – [email protected], [email protected], or +91 982 980 7074. Ram made a good trip even better. He’s a very safe driver, intelligent, pleasant, speaks English well, and has a great sense of humor. He was always punctual and conscientious. He went out of the way to help us. Can’t say enough good things about him. 3150 rs/day (inclusive) for high season to take you to Jaipur through Fatehpur Sikri.

By the time you get to the airport in Jaipur, check in, then fly to Jodhpur, you might as well drive. Or you can dork around at the airport.

The drive from Jodhpur to Udaipur through the Arravelli Hills is quite lovely and well worth the detour --- Ranakpur, Kumbhalgarh, monkeys galore, and peaceful, rural India.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 03:35 PM

Narender is another great driver who will take great care of you. He has a nice minivan drives very carfully. Will go only where you want to go (no forced shopping!!), but will help choose the most efficient route. I have used him on three trips and consider him to be a friend now.

E-mail him at [email protected] give him a few days to respond, as he may be on a trip and doesn't have internet access on the road.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for these contacts. I will certainly be reaching out to them. We are arriving on a flight to Delhi and would prefer to be picked up at the airport and start our journey from there to Agra, Jaipur. We will be tired, but at least we can take it easy in the car on the way.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 05:41 AM

You do not say what time you arrive in Delhi.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 06:29 AM

If you use drivers other than those noted above:

1) make sure they speak English well enough for you to communicate easily,
2) make sure they know the city they will be driving you around. If you start in one city and are driven to another, will they know the streets in the new city?

***You should NOT start your driving at night. Aside from you being very tired, it's not safe.*** If you're within Delhi going from the airport to your hotel, you're fine. It's the journey from one city to another at night that is a bad idea.

Indian roads are often poorly lit at night, visibility of other vechicles and animals on the roads is difficult, and it's just not an advisable time to be out. Needless to say, you will not get any sleep while in the car either.

Spend the night at a hotel, rest, shower, have a nice breakfast and start the next day.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 08:06 AM

lcuy's suggestion is an excellent one... i used the original 'anoop'--- he is a cousin... he made our trip to india!!
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 08:07 AM

make sure you get an SUV as a regular car is too small for the highways with the huge trucks and for the long distances you will want the room and comfort
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

We are arriving at 10:00AM into Delhi Airport, which should give us enough time to get Agra before dark.

Would we even have enough time to do a stop over in route--maybe at Qutub Minar since it looks like it is somewhat on the way?
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Are the drivers mentioned above able to pick up in Delhi for a 10:00AM arrival? probably a question for them, but I wasn't sure if they were all Agra based.

My friend and I are going back and forth on travel options getting to Agra. There is even a Kingfisher flight that leaves Delhi in the late afternoon for Agra. So many options.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 11:50 AM

Narender lives in Delhi.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 01:55 PM

Ram works from Jaipur, but spends much time in Delhi. Jaya is absolutely right --- don't do Indian roads at night.

You could do Qutab Minar, then go to Agra. QM is sort of in the southwestern part of Delhi, then drive straight south to Agra. Check with your driver for advice --- make a decision about whom you want to drive you, then communicate with him. SUVs are comfortable for large Americans. If you're a slim European, maybe not so much. But Ram will advise you. He's a Rajasthani and knows that part of the country like the back of his hand.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 04:20 PM

remember just because your arrival is scheduled for noon, that may not happen... and often there are flight delays for departures...