Nicest Island/resort in S. Thailand?

Old Jul 24th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nicest Island/resort in S. Thailand?

Hi Fodorites. I am planning on taking my father down there and want to take him to the nicest destination in the mid-south area. I've been the PhiPhi once for a few days. It was beautiful, but nothing really to do there. My wife wants to go the Phuket but I feel it is probably on the dumpy side like Pattaya (I could be wrong). Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Regards
Kurt
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 06:30 AM

Can you describe a bit more what it is you are looking for. I think Phuket has resorts which may be a bit more upscale than Pattya (although that area does have some nice ones maybe not right in Pattya), but there is very little do to there beyond water activites. There is more than Phi Phi, but not really a whole lot more. Not a lot of temples or other cultural sights, and IMO the main develped "strip" beach/town areas are kind of dumpy. There are of course some very lovely resort hotels, but not a whole lot to do at them beyond admiring the beaches and spa and some shopping(there is golf). If you want a lot of cultural activities and sights, I would suggest Bali for a resort vacation.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 08:00 AM

Phuket is a big place. There are lots of different beaches, some busy and honky-tonk like Patong, others more quiet, some rather isolated. There are also a broad range of accommodations. What time of the year are you going? That may dictate where you'll want to go.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 08:36 AM

Had you stayed at the Royal Cliff Grand and Spa in Pattaya your experience would be far from "dumpy"
We were there this year and it was by far the best resort we have been too in all of our travels!
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 12:09 PM

' the nicest destination in the mid-south area'

Well you have mentioned Phuket, yes, some parts here are very nice. Krabi is another option or maybe Koh Lanta and a few others.

Phi Phi is very quiet, as you say, (at least it can be), so back to Phuket.

This part of Thailand often gets bad press, unjustifiably IMO.
In spite of what others say, I believe you can get a real feel for Thailand in Phuket. Yes parts of Phuket are 'dumpy', but there are also some very beautiful, special areas.

Take a look at the link below for an insiders view of Phuket

http://tiny.cc/NBzha
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Phuket has quiete beaches as well as the busy ones. Though I have to say even kata and Karon now are getting very packed out.
Where you choose is going to depend on how you want to spend your days, and evenings. You can relax is nice resort areas on Phuket, but we really need to know what you are looking for in a destination.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everbody, I appreciate your suggestions! I didn't mean to insult anyone by saying that Pattaya is dumpy (Although its nothing short of being a lewd and amoral cesspool of miscreants). I am not a snob either!

Anyway! I am looking for the most scenic of areas in terms of natural beauty and relative clean, not too congested.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Ooops! We are going in Mid-October, btw, Kathie
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 04:16 PM

Well, October is the most difficult month for beaches in Thailand, both monsoon systems are shifting, so all of the beach areas get a lot of rain.

With that caveat, you may want to consider Krabi in terms of natural beauty. There are non-stop flights from Bangkok.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 05:21 PM

I would second the vote for Krabi - specifically Ao Nang or Railay. In terms of scenic beauty right on your doorstep, it's hard to beat. There are also quite a few interesting things to see and do away from the beaches, including hot springs, mangrove forests and elephant treks.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 05:45 PM

take a look at the amari vogue near to krabi...it is simply fantastic and quite small...

another option would be the new sheraton north of hua hin....or the hyatt in hua hin
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Kathie- Thank you very much. I didn't think about the rain! Krabi looks good, btw.

Michael- Ao nang and Railay look awesome. This is definitely a possiblilty now. Thanks!

Big Bob- Thanks, going to check this now

Regards

Kurt
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 07:53 PM

the view from the amari is fantastic...the food is very good there also....the resort is about 6-9 months old
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Excellent, Bob. Thanks again