PHUKET FLIGHTS-FILL UP?

Search

PHUKET FLIGHTS-FILL UP?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PHUKET FLIGHTS-FILL UP?

We were going to get our flights from BKK to Phuket when we arrive, since we were trying to be loose about when we leave BKK to go there. Been reading some threads indicating planes fill up (that was a reference to Siem Reap.) What about Phuket? If we purchase before we go, can we change days/times...or is it like America, where the no-change rule applies.
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 01:21 PM

I can't remember when you are going, but if it's in high season, Dec & Jan especially, I'd suggest you buy tickets in advance. When you buy from the website, you're paying full fare, so the tickets are changeable, as long as there are seats. In general, my experience with tickets in Asia is that they are more flexible than our tickets in the US. But do read all the fine print, and ask if you have questions.
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 09:55 PM

Thai Airways has just 2 fares, a one year return at about B 5,700 and a 3 month return at about B 5,300. The only difference is validity of the ticket. You can change flights without a problem, very flexible, with 14 wide-body(mostly 747, 777 and Airbus 300's) there is huge capacity, having said that because the only alternative is a 13 hour hair-raising bus journey flights do get full over the busy period of Dec 20-Jan 7 so watch that period. Bangkok Airways also has 4 flights per day (717's) and Phuket Air 1 or 2(737's) so Thai is best option.
Siem reap is the route that gets totally full as only Bangkok Airways on that route.
The Thai fares are 'fixed' and sorry to say it's a myth that you can get them cheaper locally(the only exception is a local agent who would knock off a portion of their 7% commission but that is just such a minor amount not worth it ). Book with Thai and then change if needed.
You will pay based on the exchange rate when you book based on B 5,300 return. In the US they have I belive a 1-800 number, easy, or any travel agent can issue them, especially any official United agent as United and Thai are part of Star Alliance.
The flight to Phuket is 1hr 20 gate-to-gate time and it's pretty much every hour.

www.thaiairways.com
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, JamesA...we appreciate all your input on several threads. Are you saying it's better to book in US and then change flights as our plans firm in BKK...or wait til we're there.
Also, if you have any ideas for a soft adventure while in Phuket (my husband says he won't camp again---I say we're getting old and we better do everything physical now---also wouldn't mind a small group experience to meet other folks..not for our whole Thailand trip, but a portion would be nice...just don't want the large herd em up tour group stuff. whew...fully confused are you?) Finally, does the Regent Chaing-Mai ever offer last minute deals. It's the pipe dream to go there for 2 nights sometime during our stay...we have 18 days..... but the price is too steep. They had a 3nts for 2 special, but it ended in October..Maybe just try to get into the Oriental instead. Input, if you have the time. Thanks
joyce
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 08:07 AM

Book flights with Thai in the USA and then change your flights if necessary, naturally book as close to when you plan to travel. Friday nights down to Phuket and Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon nights back from Phuket are the peak times.
Just get your tickets in the US it's easy.
I doubt the Regent offers last minute deals, as I've mentioned elsewhere so many people who did not travel to Thailand earlier in the year and now rushing to do so.
Lots of 'soft adventure' tours and trips in Phuket, check the local online edition of the English Language Paper, Phuket Gazette which has lots of details of tours to suit everyone. At your hotel you will find 3-4 think local magazines packed full of tour information also. Try the Dinner Cruise from Chalong Pier, float out into the bay ( like the Hong Kong floating restaurants but this one actually moves across the bay ), dinner and a show and then fireworks, nice.

www.phuketgazette.net ( the link always seem to fail 1st attempt, if it comes up 'error' just click your re-fresh tab and it works ).
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 08:09 AM

PS You can get a multi-sector special from Thai about $50 a sector, you have to though fix your first flight but I think you can change the others, handy and cheap if doing a BKK-Chiang Mai-Phuket-BKK routing.
Call Thai and they will tell you about it.
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 02:23 PM

I've been to Phuket twice in 2001 and 2002. Both times I arrived in Bangkok from Hong Kong. Both times I was booked to fly to Phuket with Thai Airways. And both times, they found that they had seats on an earlier flight and put me on it last minute.

I recommend that you have your seats in advance. I booked in New York before leaving for Asia. In 2001 I traveled at the end of October/beginning of November. In 2002 I traveled at the end of November/beginning of December.

You will find that Thai Airways will move you up to an earlier flight if there are available seats. This is altogether different than you requesting a last minute change.

Michael From New York
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

thanks, everyone.....our chat line talks are really helping us get this trip together.
J