New DCD warnings for rabies in Bali

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This out from the CDC today: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/content/...nesia2008.aspx

The three series shots they refer to apparently cost $250 and I am not sure if that is each or for the series.

Comments? Are those of you living there or spending a lot time there concerned about this?
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 12:03 PM

no
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 12:04 PM

This outbreak has been going on for several years. See this previous thread, for instance: http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...ak-in-bali.cfm

It is important to knwo that even if you have the rabies vaccine, if you get bitten, you'll need a post exposure vaccine, series of three shots. But if you have had the vaccine, you will not need the immuneglobulin, which is what would be in short supply on Bali.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 02:22 PM

I certainly worry for the people -- and animals -- of Bali, but not so much for tourists and foreign residents. The chance of being bitten by an infected dog is very low.

Stay away from those monkeys though. The infection rate among the monkey population isn't something you hear much about, but to me it's even more worrisome than the stray dog problem.

I wouldn't get the vaccinated, but, as Kathie advised, I would get medical evacuation insurance. This is a good idea in Indonesia in general, not just for rabies.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 05:42 PM

Go...enjoy yourself. Would you pet a dog you don't know at home? No...so don't pet one in Bali. Stay away from the monkeys and you should be fine. This has been a problem for years and many of us have survived without the shots.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 05:04 AM

Just do not expose yourself to wild animals or trek in remote
areas that would put you in a risk group.If however your activities in Bali will bring you into contact with animals such as dogs, cats, bats, or other carnivores, you should consider pre-exposure rabies vaccination, which is a three-shot series (days 0, 7, and 21 or 28) given before travel.

www.mdtravelhealth.com Bali good health info.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I don't get anywhere near pets in general, and certainly not in foreigh countries, but I couldn't tell how aggressively they might be going after ME. I am thrilled to leave this to my usual good judgement and am not prone to overreacting. The CDC does tend to get my attention and I don't want to ignore a real risk. Really appreciate the input.