New Bangkok Airport Info

Search

New Bangkok Airport Info

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Bangkok Airport Info

There's just 5 days to go until the new Bangkok airport opens, so I thought I'd pay a visit and get the lay of the land. I'm not the only one who's curious; the place was close to packed with other tire-kickers.

I've tried to write down as much as I could about navigating your way around the new place in my journal, http://chiengfa.com
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:20 AM

Thanks, Michael. Do you think it will open as planned on the 28th?
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 10:45 AM

Thanks-we're flying into BKK in November. I hope the bugs are worked out by then.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 01:05 PM

<i>'Bugs' are not the only potential problem. The following article appears in the 9/24 Bangkok Post - www.bangkokpost.com/News/24Sep2006_news01.php</i>

<b>Ghostly encounters at Suvarnabhumi</b>

By Amornrat Mahitthirook

Airports of Thailand (AoT) organised its largest religious rite at the new Suvarnabhumi airport yesterday to ward off evil spirits, only to experience an encounter with the unexplained. Rumours of occasional ''ghostly sightings'' have gone around since the first foundation brick was laid at the airport many years ago. The AoT is determined to correct the growing perception that the airport is possibly harbouring some ''uninvited inhabitants'' and to put its staff members' minds at ease.

Yesterday's rite was presided over by 99 monks who chanted en masse to improve the luck of the new airport, set to open commercially on Thursday.

However, halfway through the rite, a man appeared, quivering, and began to speak in a commanding voice claiming to be ''Poo Ming'', a guardian spirit of the land partially developed into the airport.

He ordered that a proper spirit house be built at the airport to allow for its smooth operation. The man, who was unidentified, later passed out and woke up to find the spirit had left him.

AoT president Chotisak Asapaviriya said the ceremony helped to boost the morale of airport staff, some of whom were unnerved after learning of frequent car crashes on the road running parallel to the airport's eastern runway.

Some veiled figures have sometimes been spotted on the 6km-long road.

Somchai Sawasdeepon, the airport general manager, said he had heard ghost stories from staff who came across a woman dressed in a Thai-style costume at the airport construction site in the evening.

He said the airport land formerly belonged to some local communities encompassing the centuries-old Wat Nhong Prue and its cemetery. It was reported that the bodies had not been exhumed for proper religious cremation.

Sqn Ldr Panupong Nualthongyai, head of Suvarnabhumi airport security, was also a witness to some strange, unexplained episodes.

''Whatever you make of it, it is the belief associated with the Thai way of life. For the non-believer, it is best not to act disrespectfully [towards the supernatural],'' he said.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 03:26 PM

I thought every buidling in Thailand had a spirit house. If they don't have one, I want them to get one before I fly in...
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:58 PM

Yikes Rizzuto, For sure a Spirit House will be installed.
Sue
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:58 PM

thanks michael for the info...now for the real tests....usage....

any indication of where the limo pick-ups or desks will be??
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:12 PM

michael, thanks for doing this by the way

bob
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

It's too late now to change the opening date. The new airport will open completely on the 28th. My first flight is on 4 October, so we'll see how it goes.

As to ghosts, I was shocked to hear when I first visited the site a few years ago that they had moved a temple before beginning construction. That's a real no-no in Thai culture. You can let a temple rot into the ground, but you absolutely can't tear one down. These days, spirit houses are often left until long after construction of the rest of the building is completed. The JW in Bangkok suffered from ghost stories for a couple of years until they got around to building theirs.

There are a bunch of not-quite-finished counters on level two outside baggage claim. Some of these are the limo counters for sure. You board limos on the 2nd floor (arrivals). That's why you have to go down to level one for a taxi. The airport wants you to take their taxi (limo) service, not a cheap public taxi.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

BTW, someone else complained about the high price of the new airport hotel. PrecisionReservatins has a deluxe room for about $75 a night. That's way cheaper than I remember the old Amari airport hotel being, and I bet it's much nicer.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:07 PM

Michael, that really isn't a bad price. And I agree, it must be better than the old Amari - I hated that place!
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:16 PM

Michael, that must be an introductory price. I checked some dates in Nov and it's $164 or $184. Prices are similar to the old Amari.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:35 PM

michael....how did you get out to the new airport and how long did it take you if you came from central bkk??

i received the following from AAC Limo about finding my car after arrival in bkk: &quot;please to turn right after cleared the Thai customs then look out to your name on signboard, any assist please contact our hotline phone 0-2391-8100...&quot;
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:37 PM

btw. the charge from the new airport to the marriott resort and spa, with a 15 minute stop at the marriott, and then a ride onwards to the hyatt is 1350 B plus 65B for the tolls....one way...
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:38 PM

btw, i bet the thing that makes the former PM the maddest about his overthrow is that he will not get to cut the ribbon on the new airport on its official opening day....i know he took the first flight and all but that doesn't count.....or on the other hand maybe he is glad he will not have to deal with any mess caused by the opening....??
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Original Poster

The Novotel price is from Precision Reservations. They usually have a much cheaper price than the Accor (Novotel) site.

I drove myself there. I live not far off Rama IX, so I'm expecting to be able to get to the new airport a lot faster than it took me to get the new airport. From downtown, if you take the expressway and motorway all the way, It should take around 45 minutes, depending on how close you get to the 120 kph speed limit on the motorway.

I just got this from TAT: http://www.tatnews.org/tourism_news/3034.asp

Some nice pictures and good summary.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Michael, I got my Novotel price also from Precision reservations. All the November dates I check are in the $164-184 range. I was hopeful from your post that there might still be some reasonable prices for November. Apparently not.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:03 AM

I checked Precision for a room in mid Nov and it is $183.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 07:05 AM

Why they couldn't have just built an intransit airport hotel like the one in the Singapore airport I just don't understand. Just last month, I bought a 6-hour block, plus one additional hour of room time in the Singapore airport...I had a 10-hour layover(before flying on to Bangkok)...and I remember the 6-hour block cost me about US$35.00... plus a little extra for the extra hour....real cheap and incredibly convenient...woke up...went one floor down...and walked to the gate for the Bangkok flight. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:48 AM

It is reported that the Louis’ Tavern Day Room (which operated rooms at the old airport) will open an 80 room place. It will be located inside the passenger hall on the third floor. Rates have not been announced yet but will probably be higher than they used to be. May or may not be ready when the new airport opens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -