New Bangkok Airport

Search

New Bangkok Airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Bangkok Airport

Since there have been some questions about it lately, I thought I would post a quick note about my visit to the New Bangkok International Airport (officially Suwannabhum Airport).

It's HUGE. And beautiful. The main terminal building is a big glass box with a column-free interior capable of holding seven football field. The concourses are wide oval shaped tunnels of alternating glass and fabric. Although it's a very modern structure, there are Thai touches everywhere, such as the Thai angels etched onto the glass doors to the jetways, or the big "laksa" guardian statues that greet you at the arrivals hall.

As to when it will open, nobody can say for sure just yet. Based on the work yet to be done, it definitely won't be June. September seems to be the most likely date.

For transportation, there is a rail link under construction, but it won't be finished until 2007 at the earliest (the station is already built into the terminal). We left the front door of the terminal is a slow moving tour bus, had to navigate a few barriers to get to the motorway, but still managed to arrive in Ploenchit in 45 minutes.

If you'll forgive a bit of shameless self-promotion, there is more information and photos on my blog at http://chiengfa.com
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 06:14 PM

It does look dramatic, and once the rail link is in place, it will be quick and easy to get into town (rather like the link from KLIA to town, I would hope). I'm glad to hear that it was only 45 minutes to the city. My next trip is November... knowing how things go in SE Asia, I'm not yet making any bets on whether I'll be flying into the new airport!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 06:51 PM

Thanks Michael - I'll be there in August and was wondering if it would be up and running. Can't quite decide if I want the ease of the old airport (as I know it) or the bright new one (with potential teething problems). Maybe it will open when we are there and we can go in on the old one and out at the new. Glad it doesn't take too long to get to.

Read your blog too - really interesting - thanks.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:25 PM

Thanks for that Michael. Your first paragraph excited me but as I will be there in July I guess it will be the old one for me. Good news though.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:43 PM

thanks michael....my october arrival date is looking more and more likely at the new airport...

i enjoyed your site as well....if we do a mini GTG, hope you would consider attending