Search

Nepal. What to do in 8 days??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nepal. What to do in 8 days??

Hi everyone!

I am planning to go to Nepal from the 19th of September till the 28th of September. unfortunately i just planned it suddenly, because i am in a country nearby and i have no idea about what to do and where to go. I just had these 9 days free and i chose to spend them in Nepal.
I would appreciate some help in order to see the most that i can in this limited period of time. i am thinking about booking some tour once i am in Kathmandu. Are there travel agencies there that can find an available tour without prior notice? If i should prebook a tour do you have any travel agency to propose? Or should i just try to go backpacking using the public transport? But if i do that, where should i go and what to visit? I am confused.. Usually i plan my trips carefully but this happened suddently. I should also say that i will be alone and this causes an additional cost in most tours as i know since prices are usually calculated for two or more persons.

thank you for any suggestion,

Bezbozny.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 11:09 AM

Here's a link to my trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...mandu-2008.cfm

We spent our time in the Kathmandu Valley.

There is no need to use a tour or a travel agency. The valley is easy to get around via taxi. If you want to meet other travelers, Thamel is the place to go. You may well find someone heading out for a couple of day trek if that interests you. See if you can get your hands on the Lonely Planet guide to Nepal.

Here are our photos: www.marlandc.com/Nepal/index.html
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for the information. Well i do not think that i will do any trekking since i only have 8 days... I am thinking of doing a trip like the following:
Day 1: Arrival in Kathmandu (TIA). Find some place to stay.
Day 2
sightseeing in Kathmandu Old City Square, Swayambhunath Stupa. Go to Patan City. Sightseeing tour of Patan Old City Square and the Tibetan Refugee Camp. Return to hotel.
Day 3

flight to Pokhara. sightseeing Pokhara City and boating on the Phewa Lake
Day 4

Go to the safari camp in the Royal Chitwan National Park. (can i go there alone and find some guides/vehicles in the park or do i have to make previous arrangements?
Day 5
Continuation of safari.
Day 6

Go to Bharatpur airport for my return flight to Kathmandu. Upon arrival, transfer to Nagarkot (1 hour),
Day 7
return to Kathmandu
Day 8
I dont know yet... any suggestions?
Maybe i should not spend that much time in the national park. Maybe i could visit some more places.

Is it easy to find airplane tickets or do i have to book in advance?

Thank you again for your help!!!

Bezbozny.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 05:41 AM

I don't believe there is any way you can visit the Kathmandu Valley, Pokara and Chitwan in a mere 8 days. From Pokara, Chitwan is a flight and a four-hour jeep ride. Even a trip to Pokara needs to be carefully considered. Flight schedules in Nepal are mere suggestions, and flights can be cancelled for days at a time.

You will want more than one day to sightsee in the Kathmandu Valley.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 07:06 AM

I agree with Kathie on the time frame. But you could pvisit the Kthamandu Valley and do EITHER a short several-night hike from Pokara OR Chitwan. How partial you are to rhinos and perhaps riding an elephant (Chitwan) may determine what you do.

There is a short hike from Pokara called the Royal Walk or the Prince Charles Walk because he did this. I followed that route and found it to be just right: about 5 days, gorgeous scenery, local people but we saw no other hikers in Dec, not so high up that altitude was a problem, reasonable terrain so no mountain climbing gear was needed. My trip did camping in tents provided for us, don't know if other options are available.