Need Quick Help with Shanghai Hotels

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Quick Help with Shanghai Hotels

Hi, I tried to book JW Marriott with asiarooms.com, but that's booked up, unfortunately.

In terms of the luxury hotels under $200 in Shanghai, I can't really think of too many other options. A lot of these are in Pudong, it seems.

Also, I'm having a hard time choosing between locations. I took a look at Trip Advisor. Prices below are approximate.

1. Near Bund

Astor House (about $65)
Seagull (rec. by NYT)

I took a look at the map, and these are near Huangpu road. They seem to be a little out of the way, no?

2. Between Renmin Square and Bund

Ramada Plaza ($100+)
Sofitel Hyland ($100? some not so good reviews for this one)
Park (Guoji) at Renmin Square (same as above): I forget how much this one is

Fodor's likes Ramada Plaza, but other reviews seem lukewarm.

3. French Concession

Jinjiang
Okura Garden (website shows no availability)
Ruijin ($105, Trip Advisor likes this one, but lukewarm reviews elsewhere)

Which one offers the best price/value/location combo?

I'd not mind paying a little extra for Okura Garden, but since I'm leaving on Thursday I can't afford to wait to book yet another hotel if this is not available through asiarooms. I'd rather book something I know I've a good chance at getting.

Thanks!
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 06:29 AM

Hilton Hotel located in the popular Jin An Temple area is very nice. At this time of the year, you should be able to get it for US$200 or less. You could just call Hilton's US toll free number for reservation.

There is a subway station at Jin An Temple (or Jin An Shi). It is about 4 miles or so due west of the Bund. Of course Hilton is near that station.

Equatorial Hotel, located in the same area, is quite acceptable.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

I took a quick look and it looks like the cheapest is 1260 CNY for Hilton.

I think that I want something a little further East though.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Westin Hotel is near the Bund, but it could cost more than $200.

Ritz-Carlton is located about 1 mile east of Jin An Shi or about 3 miles due west of the Bund. JC Mandarin is located opposite to Ritz. JC Mandarin (5 star) probably has the cheaper rate.

I believe Hilton has the price/value/location that you are looking for.

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 07:40 AM

We stayed at the Peace Hotel, which is on the Bund. I don't understand traveling to a foreign country only to stay in a branch of a US hotel. There are plenty of Marriotts, Hiltons and Ritz-Carlton (or is it Ritzes-Carlton) in the US. I would recommend something unique and special, like the Peace Hotel, which should be less than US$200 per night.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Er... I can totally understand why one would want a hotel that's managed by an international chain! That's because they've proven to be capable of maintaining standards for a long period of time, which local Chinese operators definitely cannot.

Hotel XYZ may be great when you visited it 12 months ago, but there's absolutely no guarantee that it'll be the same today.

And there are many hotels run by foreign chains that are unique and locally-favored, like the Sheraton in Suzhou. And there are others that were originally built and operated by locals, but is now run by a foreign chain, like the China Hotel in Guangzhou which is run by Marriott now.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 07:59 AM

Peace Hotel (north building) is a landmark hotel located right at the Bund. You probably can get it for around $100, but you will also read mixed reviews.

Park Hotel, another landmark hotel, is located on Nanjing Rd across from People's Sq and a subway station. Again, you will read mixed reviews about this hotel. Rate should be around $100. I consider Park Hotel to be right at the city center area.

Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel located on Nanjing Rd East is worth your consideration. It is rated Chinese 5 star, relatively new. I read good reviews. This hotel should not be compared to the Howard Johnson in the US.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Well, chains aside, the Marriott was on offer at asiarooms.com for $160 (if I had been able to book it). Given the rooms are on the 38th floor and up and the hotel is at Renmin Square, I really don't think that I can do better (if the hotel is available at that price).

I thought about the Peace Hotel, but the mixed reviews gave me pause.

I can book Ruijin Guesthouse through asiarooms.com for $105. But despite the positive reviews I've read online (TripAdvisor, for example), I remain skeptical. I'm not sure if this is worth $105.

This is the strategy I'm leaning towards.

Book first night at Park Hotel ("Guoji"), basically Marriott's neighbor. If I can get this through asiarooms.com, I should be paying less than $80.

Book second night at Okura Garden. There's a special rate of 888 RMB (not sure if taxes are included) that I thinik I qualify for.

Why not book both at Okura, you ask? Because the special rate only starts the second night of my stay in Shanghai (and then I leave for Taipei).

I'm not too excited about switching hotels for a two-night stay. But then I'll be able to be closer to the Bund on the first night and be in the French Concession the second.

In the meantime other suggestions are welcome. I'll have to wait until the evening (in US) to call Shanghai.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Don't switch -- way too much hassle for a 2-night stay. A taxi between the Bund and French Concession is quick and you'll have no problem seeing both areas with one hotel.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Okura is a true 5 star hotel run by the Japanese. You can't go wrong with it and it is in the heart of old French Concession and close to a subway station.

If you can get JW Marriott for $160 on the 34th floor, go for it by all means. This hotel is only about 2 years old.

Park Hotel and Okura are only a few miles away. As far as tourists are concerned, Shanghai is really a compact city. But traffic is really a big problem.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Well, the whole problem is that I can't book JW Marriott at $160. The rack rate looks to be something like 2700 CNY (I think).

I'm not too excited about switching. Park Hotel (< $80 a night) seems cheap if I can get it, but I'm concerned that if it's unacceptable I'll be miserable.

So moving to Okura for a second night seems like a reasonable hedge.

So that's my thinking, but obviously appreciate comments.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 08:38 AM

In that caee, stay at Okura by all means.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

It's funny how I just pulled up this old thread I started and the last comment from Stevan recommends the Ruijin Guesthouse.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...7&tid=34713819

I had completely forgotten about it.

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 09:06 AM

We stayed at the Sofitel Hyland for 3 nights last year and had no complaints. The location is excellent and the staff is very helpful. I would have no qualms about staying there again.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 10:50 AM

Peace/Park/Astor/Ruijin/Jin Jiang (not Jin Jiang Tower) are all land mark hotels built about 70 years ago. I believe they are all Chinese run. The question with these hotels has always been if maintenance is up to date. That's why they don't charge,in general, over $150-$200 during high season.

If you want to be sure, stay at Okura.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 10:53 AM

By the way, Sofitel Hyland (as mentioned by the other poster) run by a German company is very acceptable.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

I must admit that I can be kind of cheap and stubborn, actually. Since the special rate for Okura doesn't start until my second night, I'll probably just stay there for one night.

I could try to book Okura for the first night through asiarooms.com, but I think the rate is around $160.

The rate for Sofitel Hyland is about $125 on asiarooms.com (I think -- didn't check again).

I'll probably end up being stubborn enough to stay in Park for the first night ($87 on asiarooms.com, I think).

Obviously all of this is contingent on my getting Okura at the special rate of 888 RMB, which I'll find out in a few hours.

I should have booked Marriott early and I'd have been done and not be in this mess right now.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:17 PM

If you have not done it, I would try Marriott and Westin's US toll free reservation. You may be pleasantly surprised with the rates.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

I guess there's no harm in calling, but do you think that they'll actually offer me a rate better than the website's?

I'll call and find out.

I thought that Marriott's website was running a promotion a few days ago, but asiarooms.com was still offer. I was surprised that the rooms were snapped up so quickly. Or maybe I just misremembered.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Just my luck -- I called Marriott's number and the rack rate is 2500 CNY on Dec. 20 and 1380 CNY on Dec. 21 (without taxes). The website shows the same. They must have sold out of the special for Dec. 20, I think. The cheapest one available is some sort of deluxe room.

On the other hand I suppose I can think about staying at Park and moving next door to Marriott for the second night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information