Need Phi-Phu/Phuket/BKK Flight Connection Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm in a bit of a pickle. We're staying at the Phi Phi Island Village & Resort in November.

I've already had to change our flight there (from Chiang Mai) to accomodate the ability to catch the (private) ferry to the hotel.

The problem now is the return. We're coming back on a Sunday from Phi Phi to catch our flight in Phuket to Bangkok (which, in turn, is where we're catching our flight back to LAX.) Thing is, the hotel is telling me that their private transport leaves at 10:30 AM to Phuket. Our flight leaves Phuket at 11:20 AM, so that's not going to work. It looks like the public ferry leaves Phi Phi at 9:30 AM and gets in at 11 AM, which, again, is cutting it too close.

I'm inclined to change our flight from Phuket to Bangkok to accomodate this situation. What worries me is that our connecting flight in Bangkok is leaveing at 4:55 PM. If we leave Phuket Airport (on Thai Air) at 12:55 PM and arrive BKK at 2:20 PM are we cutting it WAY too close to make our connection on EVA at 4:55?

PLEASE lend me your advice as I have to readjust our ticket as soon as humanly possible. Thanks everyone!!!
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

...and that's Phi Phi...sorry for the typo in the subject heading
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:07 PM

Normally 2.5 hours should be fine, but there are some issues. Of course this could be an issue if the Phuket flight is delayed. Also, keep an eye out as to whether the new airport has opened. If it has only partially opened and you will be landing at the OLD airport on the Thai domestic, but taking off at the NEW airport on EVA, then I would say you could not make the EVA flight, esp as you would have to wait for bags and then fight traffic across town to get to the new airport. If you just have to switch terminals at either the old or the new airport, you should be OK, albeit I have no idea how close domestic Thai and international EVA flights will be at the new airport. (You might have to take a train or something I don't know.) Also, I doubt that Thai in Phuket will issue you a boarding pass for your EVA flight, so when you land in Bangkok you will have to go to the Transit area and get a boarding pass, lines can be longish sometimes for boarding passes. Finally, I don't know if your bags will automatically transfer; they should, but if you have to change terminals, they may not.

If you want to take an earlier flight from Phuket, you could consider hiring your OWN boat to take you to and from Phi Phi. The one below will do a Phi Phi transfer for US$500. May be a bit costly, but it sure beats missing the flight and paying for a hotel for the night, etc. I know the company below and have found it very reputable, there may be others:

Phuket Leisure Co Ltd
Phuket Boat Lagoon
Thepkrasattri Road Koh Kaew
Muang, Phuket
Tel:66-76-273-328
Fax:66-76-239-559
e-mail: [email protected]

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 05:42 AM

simple---come back to bkk or phuket the day before, which i personally would do anyways ...the other is just too close for my liking...why risk it...

i never return to bkk on the day of my international flight....and with the new airport who knows how things will change...???
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 08:29 AM

I think the last thing you want to do on your return is have to rush and forever look at your wristwatch or clocks just hoping everything works.
I would take a late evening the night before unless you have the budget to charter your own transport.
If your Eva is part of a long haul connection even more reason.
Although November is the end of the rainy season you don't want to be faced with perhaps rain, rough boat ride, rush to the airport, rush, I would just fly to BKK the night before.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 08:33 AM

Ok here's anoth I just though of, you could also go to Phuket the late afternoon before and then spend the night perhaps at Crown Nai Yang ( fairly near the airport but on the beach ) so you can enjoy that evening still at a beach resort and then take a relaxing easy timed flight perhaps 11 am from Phuket in the morning ! In fact that might work out much better for you all round, you get that extra evening on Phuket ( and note that you do not really have to stay up near the airport but if you wanted the JW Marriott is another option, of course you could also stay Patong / Kata etc, do some shopping if in Patong, have a meal etc etc, and then perhaps 40-45 mint to the airport in the morning ).

I now think that overnighting in Phuket would be what I would go for ! so you are not ending your 'beach time' so soon and then for a 4.55 pm ext BKK in thr afternoon you can have breakfast, relax, then like I say take perhaps the 11 am flight.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your feedback...thanks especially to James for your thoughtful suggestions!

Everything I've read says the new airport will house BOTH domestic & international flights. If this is the case, I may be more apt to charter a private boat EARLY morning on Sunday to Phuket, grab the 11 AM Phuket flight to BKK and catch our connection. I figued even with rough seas, we can still make it with plenty of room to spare if we leave early enough from Phi Phi.

I just don't see how it would be possible for us to fly into (for instance) Don Muang but yet have to catch our EVA flight at Suvarnabhumi. Doesn't make sense.

Of course, all of this insane same-day nonsesne has only to do with feeling like only having 2 1/2 days in Phi Phi just doesn't really cut it for a honeymoon. Plus, staying in Phuket for one night only (with getting there from the ferry) seems like it would be hard to settle in, relax and enjoy for the limited amount of time there.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:49 PM

The plan is for all flights to use the new airport. BUT - there may be a brief period of time when the dometic flights will still use the old airport while the international flights will use the new terminal.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Kathie,

I would assume that in late November, though, this would not be a problem.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 06:06 PM

don't assume anything, it's thailand...there is always the chance that the move to the new airport may be delayed yet again...
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Just spoke to Thai Airways, who confirmed that they will only move domestic operations when international operations move as well. In other words, no move to Suvarnabhumi until everything is at Suvarnabhumi, inclduing international.

I have to go on the information that BOTH of our airlines are providing us. guess anything can happen, but putting too much weight on that can ruin a trip. Thanks again guys!
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 08:02 PM

film...i don't think that is true....i think they are starting up at the new airport with about 6 domestic flights prior to moving everything....

i would check again...

remember nothing is set in concrete in thailand....
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 08:04 PM

may i say once again and others have said it too....why put yourself through all of this....just return a tad earlier...or cut phi phi al-together and spend the time on phuket...
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate your input, Bob. The whole reason we are going to Phi Phi though is to avoid Phuket. It's just not really our speed. We've only got 4 nights in Phi Phi and it's our honeymoon...I just don't want to have to break that up with traveling a day early, only to be able to spend what truly will be just a few hours in Phuket.

The other option isn't even a factor: I would never fly to BKK a day before our return flights to the States--that's playing it a little TOO safe for my taste.