Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Flights between Bangkok and Vietnam help!

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! I am planning my trip to Thailand and Vietnam next February/March and need to book one way flights from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh and then from Hanoi to Bangkok.

Searching for flights in the web , the only airline that I see that does these flights is Thai Airwyas and they are very expensive, 184 Euros each way!

I also tried to check with Vietnam Airways (or Airlines) but their site is off, undergoing renovations until November.

Are there any other airlines to fly from Bangkok to Vietnam and return? Please give me some help here because I don't see many options.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Teresa
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:27 AM

Airasia flies from Bkk-Hanoi I believe and fares should be a lot less than what you found. It is not in the same league as Thai Air though, so be far warned/prepared.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:44 AM

Cheapest to Hanoi would be Air Asia, other airlines are Thai, Vietnam Airlines, Air France and Lufthansa
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 05:03 AM

We flew Thai Air Asia in February. Booked online from the US, flight was very reasonable in price, left on time, no problems. I expect it's a bit more expensive now as there are surcharges for high petrol prices.
Sue
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 05:22 AM

suggest you contact eddie at sea tours...he saved some fodorites as much as 70% on VN flights recently

[email protected]

its an american express agency

we flew air france from bkk to hanoi, so you might check them too...
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. Airasia is not an option as I have read that it aloows only 15 kg per person and after spending almost 3 weeks in Vietnam and Thailand, my bags won't weight that FOR SURE!!!

I am going to try Air France and also email seatours, thanks Bob: )
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Good idea, both Ludthansa and Air France have good deal ex BKK, all wide bodied and good service. Note that often Air France promotions 'might have' a local pruchase requirement but that is where Seatours comes in as they can sort that for you, as Bob says they are official Amex Travel rep and also Star Cruises agent in Thailand.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 05:53 PM

One important note: Are you planning any internal flights in Vietnam? If so, book your international flights with Vietnam Airways as well, otherwise the domestic flights will cost you a fortune. You get more than 50% off on your domestic flights if your international connections are with VN Air.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 02:17 AM

Thanks for the advise Michael. We booked Air France one way for $177.00 from BKK to Hanoi. We are planning on flying within Vietnam. I will look into changing our reservations, since we have only paid for our international flights.
I just returned from the airport getting our daughter off to Vietnam, along with getting our son off to Thailand 2 days ago.
I appreciate all the great advise from this forum. I have not been on for quite some time since my life has been hectic. I do want to say everyone's insights are so helpful.
I am sure I will have a few questions in the near future, since we still have some gaps.
Thanks All
Sally