Need help with Train travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to book train travel one way from Varanasi to Kolkata on July 3rd. Would like it to be First Class AC in fast or superfast express train. I am having difficulties figuring the sites and I am not sure if I can book now for advanced date. I would be willing to go thru a travel site or agent if it is easier. Any help would be appreciated.
JJ
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:08 AM

hello dear julia
here is some link,s for the train,s yes you can book now for july www.makemytrip.com or http://www.cleartrip.com/trains or http://www.irctc.co.in/cgi-bin/bv60....llationProc.do
thanks
Ramesh Meena
Old May 23rd, 2010, 12:21 PM

How long is it by train? Would it be better to just fly?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:47 PM

There are no flights VNS - Kolkata, Jaya.
Inexplicable - but true.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

the flights connect in Delhi...
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:57 PM

Yes, of course I should have said 'direct' flights.

Frankly, julia - regardless of the backtracking involved [via Delhi], I'd catch a plane. I'm really not sure you're up for an overnight train trip.

And, I think, in the 224 responses to your 12 posts about this upcoming trip, this is the first time we've discussed Varanasi and Kolkata. Ten days, I believe; Delhi, Agra, Jaipur.. now Varanasi AND Kolkata? What's the latest itinerary? I'm confused.

BTW, the Oberoi in Kolkata is the place to stay.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Dogster...this is for my son who will be going from Varanasi to Kolkata. I would be happy to share his itinerary which sounds amazing!!! I have my itinerary set but was reluctant to post given some unfriendly feedback I received in the past (not mentioning any names). I see you are still counting posts!!! I may have him fly unless there is an express train...just investigating. My dates are set, hotels almost secure, driver set and within India flight booked!!
JJ
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you go to http://www.irctc.co.in and choose "Trains Between Important Stations" you'll see that the fastest train takes 11 hours and leaves at 5:40 in the morning. I'd take one of the several night trains.

I booked my Indian trains through http://www.indiarail.co.uk/ but I was using an Indrail pass. Your son may need to use the Foreign Tourist Quota to get a 1AC berth, although I don't see any availability on the two trains I checked for your date... How old is he? Does he really need 1AC?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM

Oh well, if it's your son, get <i>him</i> to book it. lol. It'll be part of his learning curve.

An odd variation on this theme is to fly VNS to Kathmandu [easy, Indian airlines], then after exploring, fly KTM to Kolkata. Two birds, one stone. I suspect it'd cost no more than a flight VNS/DEL/Kolkata.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

he is 17..he does not need 1 ac I just thought that would be safest..any suggestions appreciated.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:47 PM

He should be fine in any of the AC classes, and probably SL too. 1AC is boring - lots of gov. & business men - he'll be more likely to meet people in the other classes. For info and pix see seat61.com.
Old May 24th, 2010, 03:20 AM

EVERYONE needs AC in India in July! Otherwise, it's hot, steamy, sweaty, and you get all the grit and dirt blown in your face.

He needs to be really careful of his belongings on the train. The people around him will rifle through his stuff if he leaves it to go the the bathroom for example, or just falls asleep. Passports, money, valuables need to be on him where he can't be pick-pocketed.
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:57 AM

Dear me, what a jaundiced view you have of Indians, Jaya! Passports etc. need to be secured wherever you're traveling, of course, and I use a cable lock for my big pack on Indian trains, but I never had a problem. And I fell asleep a lot, since I took a lot of night trains.
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:08 AM

Jaundiced view? Not of all Indians certainly. It all depends on who you might be sitting near on that particular trip.
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:32 PM

That VNS/Kolkata train is famous for thefts, as is the VNS to Bagdogra one. You're traveling thru Bihar and Jharkhand, Jaya might be being more practical than jaundiced. I would not be shoving a 17 yr old white boy on an overnight train in India alone - but who knows the circumstances?
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:40 PM

My Kolkata - Varanasi train had an armed guard, I believe. 17 might be a shade young, but a lot of UK gap-year kids travel in India and they're between school and university.

Jaya seems to be suggesting that regardless of which train you're on in India your fellow-passengers have designs on your luggage, and that was certainly not my experience.
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Dogster are you saying its not safe..there is a train that leaves in the morning and arrives late afternoon...is 1 ac class safer? This will be his only time on train by himself...would like advice.
JJ
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

yes it leaves at 5:30 am and arrives Kolkata at 4:30>I want to do the safest thing,,he can fly and change planes in Drlhi.
JJ
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:51 PM

I really think that Jaya and dogster (and I know dogster at least has never been on an Indian train) are being unnecessarily alarmist - he should be fine on a night train, in 2AC as well as 1AC. If you can afford to put him on a plane instead, that's your choice, but maybe you should read the article I linked on air safety first (click on my name).
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:59 PM

He can travel alone, but he should know his itinerary and appear confident. Mostly, train stations are not the place to strike up conversations with the locals. Wait at your platform and get on the train. It's a long train ride, he should plan ahead of time what he will do for meals for almost 12 hours. I don't know if 2nd and 3rd class have meal service.

1st class is best because the price is higher and it filters out some of the less desireables. Personally, I'm not looking to socialize much on the train. Everyone is in transit and you have no idea who anyone really is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -