Need help with Japan itinerary

Feb 28th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Need help with Japan itinerary

Hi I need your help in planning a whirl tour of southern Japan for 10 days. I've been to Sendai, Nikko, Tokyo, Kyoto on previous trips and now is time to explore further south.

Day 1 ... Okasa, spend the night here
Day 2 ... from Osaka take a day trip to Nara and back to Osaka in the evening, spend the night.
Day 3 ...activate 7 days JR rail. Heading to Matsuyama. Explore Dogo hotspring. Spending the night in Okayama.
Day 4 . to Hiroshima ...check-in hotel then explore the garden and castle, park and take a trip to visit Miyajima island. I was here in the island a few years ago. This will be a second visit.
Day 5 . to Hakata ..check-in..explore the city.
Day 6 ...day trip to Beppu
day 7 ...day trip to Kagoshimachuo, stop by to visit Kumamoto castle.
Day 8 - Hakata to Kyoto
day 9 - day trip to Takayama. I was here before (a few years back) should I revisit ?
day 10 - heading to the KIX for fly home.

Anything else should I include or delete from the itinerary. Thank you all for your suggestion and insight.

Feb 28th, 2006, 11:43 PM

Day 3 - not that's too much. Spend the night in Matsuyama. Hotel Patio Dogo would be a good choice.

You can take a hydrofoil from Matsuyama to Hiroshima. Nice ride but not covered by the JR Pass (would be $40, I think).

Day 4 - Hiroshima castle is totally optional. You should have taken your time with Matsuyama-jo yesterday. Not sure what garden you are referring to but you might read up on the garden next to Kumamoto-jo and compare.

day 7 - Kumamoto-jo, hai! Also, maybe the garden there. Do you really have time, for what? in Kagoshima. Going to Sakurajima?

day 8 - what, you aren't going to stop at Himeji-jo?

day 9 - you should be able to answer this yourself.
Mar 1st, 2006, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

mrwunrfl: Thank you for your input. The purpose to go to Kagoshimachuo ...is to ride the new shinkansen line ... Tsubame. I think these shinkansens are fascinating.
The travel time from Hakata to Kagoshima-chuo is a bit more than 2 hrs. That's why I think I have time to make a stop in Kumamoto.

Yes, of course, I'll stop by Himeji, a bakery located somewhere on the way from the train station and the castle was one of the highlights during my last trip.
Mar 1st, 2006, 09:39 PM

Figure 4.5 hours from Osaka to Matsuyama and then 4 hours from there to Hiroshima by JR. If you left Osaka at 6AM you could get to Matsuyama at 10:05.

Lyndie recently wrote on this forum about how she enjoyed her visit to Kagoshima and had food and lodging suggestions, if you are interested. I would recommend stopping in Kumamoto first.

If you skip goint to Takayama on day 9 then you could use your JR Pass on day 2 to get to/from Nara.

You could go to Kagoshima on day 7 and overnight in Kumamoto. Then take the local train via Aso to Beppu, stop for a while and continue on to Hakata.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

mrwunrfl:
Thank you for your input.