Need help with hotel in BKK.

Jun 20th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Need help with hotel in BKK.

Hi,
I need some more advice please. I'm trying to out together a package deal for 2 people and I am finding it a bit expensive. I was going to do the sofitel in BKK but we would consider something less grand for our 3 nights there. I would like some where clean, good service and close to the shopping areas. I don't mind sacraficing a bit on the hotel in BKK in order to get a nice spot in Samui (Sala Samui!?)
Any suggestions for a hotel in BKK would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Jun 20th, 2005, 05:19 AM
ginnysher

I suppose it depends on what part of the city you'd like to stay and what is your actual budget. We stayed at the Novotel Siam Square. It's well located to the skytrain, malls, etc. The Novotel is sort of centrally located in the city so you can go in almost any direction and it will be equal distance. It was a very nice place with a great buffet breakfast included. My recollection of price as of 12/04 is about $65 per night. hth

Jun 20th, 2005, 05:28 AM

Tunamelt,
1. Wat a co incidence…Even I am planning to stay in Bangkok for three days and then off to Ko samui with a similar mindset of spending more money at the Ko samui hotel. I loved the sala samui but it is way off my budget So might settle for the Anantara.

2. How many days are you planning to stay at Ko Samui. I was wondering whether three days is enough or should I make it four.

3. Even I am confused as to the Novotel as my agent is offering me USD 65 but without breakfast. So including BF for a couple the rates would be around USD87…whereas I was looking for a budget of USD 70. Do let me know if you come across any other hotel which is close to shopping and is clean and good service.
Jun 20th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Ginny,
I wouldlike to be located close to the shopping areas. I dont really know to much about the layout of the city so I wish to be centrally loacted near the shops and the various different boroughs, such as chinatown etc, I feel like rambeling while I'm there.
Hi Mini,
I'm going to spend 7-8 days in Samui.
Try ratestogo.com for cheap hotels around the world. I am unfortunatly going to get a package and cant avail of the bargains that are on this site. But I can steer my travel agent in the right direction as to where the bargains are generally.

I'll let you know if I turn up any real bargains in BKK.
When R U going
Jun 20th, 2005, 06:34 AM

I answer a lot of post and don't always remember whom I've responded to, but didn't I recommend, "Chateau de Bangkok by Sofitel...an Accor hotel...? I paid 1500 Baht...before taxes...1800+baht after...breakfast included...Aug 2004...for a junior suite with kitchenette. It's no more than a 300- meter walk to the Ploenchit skytrain station which is on the Sukhumvit line which goes to almost all of the shopping areas and is two stops from the main skytrain station of Siam. Happy Travels!
Jun 20th, 2005, 08:05 AM

This past April my daughter and I stayed at the D'Ma Pavilion Hotel. It is a 5 minute walk to the very large local Pratunam shopping area (outdoor markets and bazaars). It is a 15-20 minute walk to the nearest skytrain station which is at the Chitlom Central Department Store (an entirely different type of shopping experience). Taxis and tuk tuks are avalable if you don't care to walk, and prices are very reasonable. The hotel is entirely satisfactory, in my opinion. Clean and comfortable. We loved being in a local neighborhood with the "real" Bangkok right outside our door. With taxes, service charges and breakfast buffet for two, we paid a total of US$40 per day. I plan to stay there again on my next trip later this year.
Jun 20th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Mini
Asia rooms is doing a great deal on the sofitel $62 for a delux room at the sofitel at the moment. Including tax and Breakfast Not bad me thinks...

thanks for the other suggestins, I'll look into it and see what rates I can get.
Jun 20th, 2005, 09:05 PM

Wow!! 7 days in Samui.. I would love that but alas no leave…I am totally confused whether to choose Novotel or Chateau De Bangkok. I have even posted a thread for that…I checked out the ratestogo website.. But they did not have rates for the Sala Samui or the Anantara Judy I am not very keen on D'Pavillion beacuse of the 15 minute walk to the skytrain...I think its quite a bit considering my husband hates to walk around...
Jun 21st, 2005, 07:22 AM

MiniAk...Bangkok is a walking city. Even if you taxi someplace, you are still going to have to do some walking.If you want to go into the sois, for example, and check out things...then you'll have to walk. I went to soi Klang...off of Sukhumvit...because I wanted to check out the interior design stores and I was walking around for a good hour. The stores were not all next to each other. Plus, even if you go someplace like the Grand Palace, you are still going to have to walk quite a bit. Happy Travels!
Jun 21st, 2005, 07:31 AM

As to which hotel to choose. There will be more places/shops to check out near the Novatel since it's closer to Siam Square area.But you will have to WALK. Chateau de Bangkok is not located in an area where there's much to do.But, the quiet location was very nice. I noticed that you said that your husband wouldn't want to walk 15 minutes to the skytrain...well,Chateau de Bangkok is a good 15-20 minute walk depending on how fast you walk. Like I said...it's(no more than) 300 meters from the skytrain station. Happy Travels!
Jun 21st, 2005, 09:51 AM

Here are a couple of good 3 star hotels that might meet your needs.
Asia Hotel: right beside a skytrain station and one stop fron siam square, one of the main shopping areas of the city. Nothing fancy about this large hotel but the rooms are clean and althrough basic have most everthing that you will need. A deluxe room is around 1600 baht(net)with breakfast.
Silom Serene: a small boutique hotel off Silom road about a 5+ minute walk to a skytrain stop. Rooms are nice, there is a small pool and the restaurant is quite decent. Deluxe roon about 1800 baht (with everthing) and the exc room which I recommend 2200.
Jun 21st, 2005, 10:37 PM

OK... I think the hotels in the running are Novotel and Asia Hotel... I have sounded my husband that you would have to walk around a bit.. He is ok with the idea but just wants to ensure that we choose a hotel that is located close to the station and the shopping centre.. How is Sofitel Siam supposed to be..ANy idea?
Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:49 AM

With the Asia hotel you can't get any closer to the Skytrain- its connected to the hotel! Also note that this is the hotel where the Calypso Cabaret is held. I highly reccommend you partake of this fabulous show (its female impersonators- well... they are more than impersonators!). The show starts at about 8:15 for the cocktail show and costs about $25. Its a great show- don't miss it and bring your cameras!
Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:02 PM

maybe checdk out www.asiahotels.com.. the tend too offer some deals on package 2-3 stays in bkk hotels..

asia hotel was the first place the came too my mind as well..