Reload this Page >

thailand trip (may 30 to june 14) - part 1. bangkok

Feb 14th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Original Poster

i will be going with my girlfriend to thailand for 2 weeks:
bangkok 5 full days (may 30 to june 5)
chiang mai 3 full days (june 5 to june 9)
and phuket 4 full days (june 9 to june 14)
we r looking forwards to see the 'must sees' and shopping in bangkok.
can u recommend me things i must see in bangkok and most importantly, where would u recommend me to stay and anything extra tat u would wanna share.
first, i must explain our financial circumstances. we r from malaysia. we earn about 700 USD per month each. our max budget is USD 1000 each. i hope to be able to have a nice experience n somewhere that is comfortable n clean to sleep in. thanks.
(this is our first trip out of the country on our own btw).
Feb 14th, 2010, 05:13 AM

Your itinerary sounds great. Three locations are very do-able in your amount of travel time.

Bangkok has lots of very inexpensive hotels. I would suggest, since you are interested in shopping, that you stay "in the city" rather than along the river. River hotels are more expensive.

Now, I've never stayed at a newer hotel in Sukhumvit called On 8. It is located on Soi 8, just steps off Sukhumvit Rd. The Nana skytrain station is about a one minute walk, or less. Being close to any skytrain station is a MUST in Bangkok, in my opinion. I think if you do a search here, you will find someone who did recently stay at On 8, and said rooms were small, and maybe not much light??? I can't quite recall what they said. Look at on8bangkok.com and you can see the rates and decide if they are in your price range.

Another option, in a location about 7 minutes walk from National Stadium skytrain station and MBK Mall (a place where you will want to shop) is called Patumwan House. I have stayed here. It is an older apartment/studio hotel, very clean, very quiet, very friendly staff. You can plan on spending about $35 per night here, maybe less. I don't know if they have a functioning web site or not. Tripadvisor shows a number of positive comments about the place. The location is on Kasemsan 1, which is a very narrow soi (more like an alley) with local hotels, street food, just off the main intersection at the Siam Center shopping area.

As far as sights in Bangkok, I suppose the Royal Palace and Wat Pho are must-sees. The rest will depend on your own interests. For me, strolling along the smaller sois is always interesting; shopping for hand-made bags and miscellaneous items is a must.

Others will chime in, I'm sure. Bangkok is an amazing city.

Carol
Feb 14th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

thanks. i will look at tat. i have read tat khao san is where backpackers r. n tat sukhumvit is where shopping is. i wonder which is better to stay, n budget too.
Feb 14th, 2010, 10:59 AM

"thanks. i will look at tat. i have read tat khao san is where backpackers r. n tat sukhumvit is where shopping is. i wonder which is better to stay, n budget too."

Khao San Road is okay if you are quite young. On Sukhumvit Road you can also find hotels and guest houses that are quite reasonable. Also, in the Sukhumvit Road area you will be able to use the Skytrain for lots of travel around the city. Your budget is okay, there are many travelers that go at half your budget and have a nice time.

Figure out how much per night you want to spend on a hotel and someone will recommend a place for you to stay at in that price range. Here is a few suggestions for now.
Bangkok Inn, located off Sukhumvit Road, not far from Nana Skytrain stop. This hotel is on Soi 11/1. Two other places on this same soi have rooms under 1000 baht. (Business Inn and President Inn.)
http://www.cityphotoguide.com/node/801
http://www.bangkok-inn.com/e/index.htm

On Soi 7, Sukhumvit, is Maxim's Inn.
http://www.maximinn.com/

Suk 11 Hostel is popular:
http://www.suk11.com/

If you want to splurge a little check out the Ibis Hotel.
http://www.bangkok.com/ibis-nana/

Each of the above hotels is close to shopping, Skytrain stop, travel agencies for tours, supermarkets and malls, etc. Also some nightlife in this area that you can avoid or investigate.

Too bad you can't take a few more days and be able to use bus or train travel to Chiang Mai. Once you get the plane tickets purchased to get to Bangkok another night or two in hotels doesn't cost that much more.

Good luck.
Feb 14th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Take a look at Sawadee.com. It has hotels in every price range. many of us on this forum have used it to book hotels with great success.
Feb 14th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

"Figure out how much per night you want to spend on a hotel and someone will recommend a place for you to stay at in that price range."
well, considering 30 USD for 2 weeks would have cost bout 450 USD, tats the max i think. thanks for inputs.