Need Help with Bali-Lombok logistics

Old Oct 16th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help with Bali-Lombok logistics

We'll be in Bali and Lombok for about 11 days after a week in cenral Java next May-June. Originally I was planning to start with a 4-5 day stay around Ubud (Komaneka Tanggyuda or Alam Shanti), then 3 days in east Bali (Tirta Ayu) and then drive back to the airport to fly to Lombok (Quinci Villas). After 3 nights in Lombok fly back to Bali and home.
Given all the Garuda hassles and delays, would I be better to take a ferry or shared boat from Padangbai or Candidasa to Senggigi or environs rather than drive back west to fly to Lombok. Any boat agents or travel agents you know who book this passage?
Any comparison on the Bali hotels is most welcomed too.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 05:51 PM

We took the boat from Bali to Lombok once. The passage can be rather rough. We arranged it via a travel agency in our hotel the day before we wanted to go. I was told recently that the boat has become seasonal. I don't know whether that is true or not. I do know of people who have walked in to the airport and purchased a ticket to Lombok on the spot, and flown within the next hour or so.

Good luck! As you have found, making travel arrangements in Indonesia from afar is complicated.

It should be a wonderful trip! I'd love to return to Java and Bali. We'll get back there one of these days!
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 05:53 AM

robbie...i asked qunci to secure me tickets for the flight, which they did with no problem...the e ticket was available for me at the airport in bali when we arrived....worked perfectly...it was not garuda, it was another local airline....you might try the same....just send them an e mail....

btw, at qunci ask for an upstairs unit near to the pool....

its a fabulous place and the restaurant is fantastic....

at alam shanti try to get the more expensive gangga room...its the one we had and it too is the very best with a great view out over the working rice paddy....their shuttle service is fantastic and will take you any place you wish to go....we just tipped the driver each time...

make sure to try the terazo rest....fantastic....its brother and sister rest. are also fantastic....steak at cinta is fantastic....filet mignon for $8.25 as compared to $40 in LA....

sign up for the john hardy factory tour which is followed by lunch with the staff....a very fun and worthwhile visit....just outside ubud....go to their website...

prapen silver in ubud is a must too....fantastic prices and a lovely building...located in celuk...

are you having putu as your driver....i hope so....he is fantastic...

go to a couple of mask makers: IB Anom in mas and I Wayan Tangguh in Gianyar (putu took us there)...

cafe luna in ubud is horrid....give it a skip...

karen loved the moring rice paddy walk that alam shanti offered...i did not go...
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 05:56 AM

tell putu you are my friend: bob kimball....
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, ya'll. Yes Bob I did some major inventory reduction for Prapan on my last (first) visit to Bali, plan to return there and perhaps help out John Hardy.
Brilliant idea! I will contact Quinci villas about tickets back to Bali. I do have 2 nights on hold in the Gangga suite at Alam Shanti but they don't have more than two consecutively in early June. So I'd either do 3 nts Komaneka and 2 Alam Shanti or just stay at Komaneka. If they are in different village atmosphere's then moving would also give us a different glimpse of local life. My favorite Ubud activity was an hour walk each morning around 8 when the family compounds come to life and I would be invited to come in and see what's going on.
My big question is whether to drive back to the airport from east Bali to fly to Lombok or take a boat from the east coast. Any ideas which is more reliable and less time consuming? I'll contact Titra Ayu and ask about the boat service options.
Thanks Bob for all your dining suggestions, all duly noted. Yes, I've contacted Putu about 3-4 days ago but have not heard back from him yet.
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 05:47 PM

Just a couple of comments:
I recently visited Komaneka Tanggayuda. The resort is on the edge of a valley, not a big wide valley, but a pleasant forest-y view. Unfortunately, their neighbor across the gorge has "developed" a huge chunk of the countryside and Komaneka's view is now a giantic scar. The people at the resort were quite distressed over it.

I am very fond of the Komaneka group and think they provide a wonderful Bali experience, but it's hard to deny that the view at Tanggayuda has been severely compromised. You might take a look at their new place in Bisma, though that may be redundant with the Alam Shanti. Haven't been to either personally so I can't compare.

I love the Ayung River valley, but have a hard time recommending any of the resorts without severe caveats. I frequent the Alila's suites which have spectacular ambience, but the last time I was there there was evidence of a troublesome monkey problem. It's a beautiful resort, but seems to be unable to get a grip on management issues. The Four Seasons is too corporate, the Como Shambhala too elite. My current favorites are the Kayumanis and Alam Sari.

I haven't been to Lombok for several years and it's true that it's extremely difficult to get accurate information on water transport. We've taken medium sized ferries many times and were always pleased with the service, but all I can find on the internet is information on little boats and big public ferries.

I like to avoid domestic flights and airports in Indonesia as much as possible, so, for me, the ferry is a better choice. I'd suggest that you call (or e-mail)the people at Qunci for advice. I think a telephone call to the Western manager/owner would be the best bet as often Indonesians in effort to be helpful will give you information that has no relationship to reality. You will always get an answer -- some kind of inbred reluctance to every say "I don't know -- but the information has about a 50/50 chance of being accurate. Seek additional opinions and take 2 out of 3.

Also, not sure where your next destination is but you might consider flying out from Lombok. From Mataram, you can fly non-stop to Jakarta or Singapore.
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

Marmot, your recent findings on Komaneka are disappointing but I'm sure glad to learn of the deflowering of the surround now rather than when I got there. i was ready to book. So now I'll look at Alam Sari. I do have two nights in Gangga at Alam Shanti but since they don't have more than two consecutive nights, I need to pass on it or book three nights elsewhere. I actually don't mind trying two different places.
I loved Kayumani last visit (and totally agree with your assessment of the other properties). We had the great good fortune to end up with a two bedroom suite complex with private infinity pool over the river and jungle. Since the one bedrooms don't face the river and rice fields I know I wouldn't enjoy them as much. Maybe I'll check with KM anyway, tourism may still be low at the beginning of June.
Yes, the answers I recieved from the hotels in east Bali and Lombok were as you predicted.....long on ceremony and politeness and short on useful information.
So I'm still hunting for a travel agency in east Bali who can book us on a fast boat to Lombok. Maybe I'll contact Remote Destinations and see if they'll deal with this small piece of business.