Pemuteran, Bali- worth the trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am travelling in Bali for 2 weeks. I have 2 days unplanned at the start of vacation. I love snorkeling and have done so in Bora Bora and Fiji. Is it worth the long trip up North from the Densapr airport? How long is the drive?
How about Taman Sari Cottages? I will then be heading to the Legian area and then to Ubud. I only have 3 days in Ubud area, so I'm trying to decide wether to go North then beach, then Ubud OR do Ubud, beach, Ubud. I am a middle aged woman traveling solo. Thanks for any opinions..
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 12:01 PM

hi Barney,

We just returned from Bali last Friday night and also drove up to Permuteran from Ubud. The drive is about 2-3 hours depending on how many stops you make. I would recommend, if you have time, to go slow and see the beautiful countryside as you head north. We did not regret the trip to Permuteran at all. My boyfriend is an avid snorkeler and coincidentally, we too stayed at Taman Sari cottages. You can snorkel on the man made coral reef just in front of the cottages. I did not do this but my boyfriend did and said it was pretty amazing. We did a half day snorkel trip with Bali Dives which you can find next door to the cottage on the beach side; it was $45 US dollars (I think) but the nice part is the boat picks you up right there on the beach so no need to drive to the harbor. It's a very nice boat too and the crew is friendly and very helpful. We took the boat to Manjangan Island for snorkeling--again, AMAZING!
We only stayed one night in Permuteran then headed back to Ubud.
I think the distance from Denpasar to Permuteran may be even shorter than it was from Ubud (like maybe closer to 2 hours or less).
I would recommend getting a driver to take you though.
Hope this helps.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 12:02 PM

oh, to answer your question, YES, Perumeteran is definitely worth a trip!
Have fun,
Augustina
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Hi Barney,

I am a 50-something single woman who went to Bali for a couple of weeks in 2000 and ended up staying until 2003. Since I am also a SCUBA diving instructor, I probably have all the necessary qualifications for answering your questions; so forgive me if I am lengthy.

First of all, it is apt to take you the entirety of 2 days just to get to Pemuteran and back from Denpasar -- not so much due to the distance, which is considrable, but because of traffic jams. There's no way to describe the way people drive in Bali short of saying "nightmare." Don't do it.

Instead, if I were you, I'd get myself to Ubud as soon after arriving at the airport as possible and use Ubud as a home base. Don't worry if you don't have hotel or guest house revervations ahead of time, the streets are lined with places to stay, and any one of them will safeguard the lion's share of your belongings while you pare down and travel about.

Take daily, overnight or 2- 3 day excursions from Ubud to places like Padang Bai (East), Singaraja (North), and Bingin Beach, Uluwatu (South) for ocean. Be sure also to see Goa Gajah (Elephant Cave), Gunung Kawi (one of Bali’s oldest temples), the Bedugal rice terraces, the Kombasari Market (Denpasar) and sunset at Lake Batur. You may also want to visit Rimba Reptile Park and Bedugel Crocodile & Reptile Park. If you're up for a real adventure, be sure to take in a cremation.

Several of these events and excursions can be combined into one-day programs, all of which will give you plenty to do in 2 weeks.

The beauty of Bali is its mystery. Many people's lives change upon their first visit there. You do not want to miss out on this most exceptional feature because you are hot, sweaty and in the backseat of a car instead -- or because you're being pestered to tears by street hawkers in the Kuta/Legian.

For a car and English-speaking driver, call one of my friends: Norman Banana in Ubud (62-081-2395-6887) or Wayan Astro in Legian (62-081-2363-9204). Either one will charge you about Rp. 100.000 (USD 10) for a full day and will drive you to and pick you up from anywhere.

Selamat jalan! (Travel well!)
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 04:31 AM

Hi barney,

I have been staying 2 days in Taman Sari Cottages Pemuteran,Bali. It was great a beach hotel in the north of Bali (August 2007).
For snorkeling I recomended in Tulamben, Amed, Candidasa, and Padang bai.
It is good place for snorkeling points.
I was hiring the driver in Legian. He was accompany me and family for 2 weeks traveling around Bali.
His rates was IDR 400,000 and we paid the petrol full day.
You just ask him wherever you want to visit and he'll serve you with his careful driving and he knows any places of Bali.
You can reach him by e-mail : [email protected] (benny)
Hope this help you, do not be hesistate to ask me again.
Have a wonderful trip

Mariska