Need help planning Kerala 9 days

Sep 14th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Need help planning Kerala 9 days

I'm trying to squeeze things into 7-9 days in Kerala---Green Magic tree house, Periyar tigers, a homestay somewhere (at least dinner), Mysore (not sure if it's too long a drive from Green Magic), and yoga and hiking. Someone told me Mysore is the place to go for serious yoga. If anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate them---for yoga in Mysore or around Cochin/Trivandrum. Also, I'm not sure if there are flights from Trivandrum to Calicut, and whether this is all doable in such a short time.

Please send your recommendations for hotels, places to eat, Kathakali dance, and hiking! Thanks.
Sep 16th, 2006, 04:48 PM

Mysore would be too far off for the shortt time yu have in hand. Lots of ayurveda resorts in kerala. This website hassome useful info - www.travelvirus.com.......njoy yur trip
Sep 16th, 2006, 09:09 PM

Hello there..Yes, Mysore has a great place to go for YOga if u ar really serious....It is mainly very famous for its teacher Sri K. Pattabhi Jois at the Ashtanga Yoga Research Institute in Mysore, but there are others as well..

However, Mysore is in the State of Karnataka, and not in Kerala...It is not closeby to the other areas u mentioned and i do not think would fit in if u are set on traveling in Kerala, and only have 7~9 days..

If u are interested in YOga and u are in Kerala, u might check out Sivanda Neyar Yoga Ashram in Neyar Dam, not far from the city of Trivandrum..However, if u go there, should visit for at least a week to get into the routine of thins, so would take ur whole trip!

I have been there a few times and it is quite the experince, studying Yoga in lush tropical surroundings!!!

If you bypass the Yoga retreat and want to travel in Kerala, i love the small city of Cochi, also recco a night on a houseboat via the backwaters from Quillon to Allepy, and am quite found of both Kumarakom and Thekady~!

Also, there are two beach areas, the bigger one being Kovulum and the smaller being VArkala..Usually there is Yoga teacher or two in residence at these beach localities too..

Take care/ Namaste and free free to drop me a line at [email protected]

Sep 16th, 2006, 09:12 PM

Woops, the name of the ashram in Kerala is Sivanda YOga Ashram...It is in Neyar Dam which is not so far from Trivandrum or even Kovulum beach, in Kerala..the name got a bit skewed in my last post, so wanted to make sure u can understand..Namaste..
Sep 16th, 2006, 09:22 PM

website for ashram worldwide but has a place in Kerala. http://www.sivananda.org/
Sep 17th, 2006, 03:00 AM

WOW! Green Magic is high on my list of places to go - it sounds fab from all accounts. 9 days will be a bit rushed but is doable. I am not sure you will see tigers at Periyar so IMO Thekkady might not be worth the trip if tigers if the main draw. It is a pretty sanctuary and you will see other animals. Bonita has given you the best yoga suggestion in Mysore - he's supposed to be fab. For hotels take a look at www.cghearth.com. A homestay you could cosnider is plantation hideaway.
Sep 17th, 2006, 08:37 AM

A few more suggestions in Kerala!

YOu might go to Kumarakom,(bird sanctuary) and you can stay at Cocunut Lagoon, or Kumaraom Lake Resort.

U can do a night in a lovely houseboat, floating thru the backwaters!

And u can go/stay in Thekady, if u want to go to Lake Periyar wildlife sanctuary and the spice plantations. many places to stay, u might tryShalimar spice GArden(aruvedic treatment and yoga too), or Spice Village.

And again, Cochi is a great place to explore too. Many places to stay, can try Brunton Boatyard, Taj Malabar or Malabar House to name a few.

Happy travels.