Reload this Page >

Need advice on trip to Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Joan

Going to Thailand in March. Will stay in Phuket, hope (?) to be able to drive to Kuala Lampur, etc. What is it like, getting around over there? We will be staying in Bangkok for a couple of nights as well, but most time will be spent traveling from Phuket. Does anyone have advice on what to see; what tours are the best, etc? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! -Joan

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 10:44 PM
Ed Davis

I rode a motorcycle from Phuket to KL. The roads are very good. No problems. <BR>Penang was an interesting place to visit. KL seemed like just another city. I didn't spend much time there. Most of my time was spent riding in Thailand. Malaysia is a very different culture from Thailand since they are primarily Muslim.

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 12:49 PM
james allen

Did you intend hiring a car? I don't think car rental companies in Thailand will allow you to take a car to Malaysia and leave it there.But if you have made arrangements about a vehicle, as the other poster said, roads are quite good but plan your route. Tours from Phuket are very easy to Phi-Phi, Krabi, Phang Nga etc. Tour agent are everywhere and almost every hotel has their own tour desk. Enjoy!!

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 07:40 PM
julie

we flew to save time and flights are really cheap. planes seemed nice clean and organized. we took a bus once and from then on we flew all over malaysia thailand and singapore.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 08:38 AM
MJB

We just got back from Thailand on 1/1. While we didn't visit Phuket, we did do a fair amount of driving and found the roads to be very good. Driving in Bangkok was scary because of the heavy traffic and I wouldn't recommend driving yourself if you aren't used to the local traffic. We rented a van and driver twice for day trips and the prices were very reasonable. Also, we flew Thai Air to Chaing Mai and it was quick, easy and very inexpensive.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 03:47 AM
ang & Dave

can anyone advise us on what to do, see, excursions, etc... in Bali and Bangkok - our trip starts in the first week of March. First time there and will be staying in Nusa Dua in bali (7 nights) and staying on Rama 4 road in Bangkok (3 nights here - by the way is this a good place for shoppers?). Has anyone stayed at the Marriott or dusit Thani - which is better in terms of location? How safe is it to walk around at night in both Bali and Bangkok? what to watch out for? We will not be travelling with kids. Advice on food is appreciated too. Any immunization required before going abroad to these 2 places? We will also be going in Singapore - our advice here is that you don't have to worry about anything, great place, you can walk at night without feeling intimidated, food is great, stay in downtown core if you like malls (there are so many and they are HUGE - they go on forever and you can get lost), it is expensive - lots of designer stuff and expensive cars zooming around, nice country and is very clean. ADVICE specifically to JOAN - you are very BRAVE to even think about driving from Phuket to KL - the roads are tricky and drivers speed...Be very careful, I was raised in KL, Malaysia and my parents used to drive within Malaysia - even they say that driving is unsafe in Malaysia - people don't follow the lines on the road sometimes. You are better off flying to your destination. Good luck and have a great time.