Search

Need advice on my Japan 10 Days Itineraries

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on my Japan 10 Days Itineraries

Hi,

I'll be travelling to Japan on late March. I'm planning to fly to Tokyo and fly back from Osaka. I need advice on my itineraries since this will be my first time visiting Japan. I also need advice on where to stay. I already decided on buying the JR Pass and some of the passes to visit certain places. Here's my itineraries:

15/3
Depart to Tokyo from KL (night flight)

16/3
Arrive in Tokyo Narita Airport
Upon check-in at hotel, go for sightseeing in Shinjuku - Harajuku - Shibuya

17/3
Asakusa - Tokyo Sky Tree - Ueno - Akihabara

18/3
Tsukiji Market - Roponggi - Ginza

19/3
Depart to Hakone
Use Hakone-Fuji Pass (buy at Odawara station)

20/3
Explore Mt. Fuji area
Depart to Kyoto (night train)

21/3
Sightseeing in Kyoto

22/3
Day trip to Nara (only an option, if not, continue sightseeing Kyoto)
Depart to Osaka

23/3
Day trip to Hiroshima (really want to visit this!!!!)

24/3
Start early to visit Osaka Castle
Kita district (probably lunch and shopping here)
Minami district (shopping)

25/3
Fly back to KL

Is it feasible? Or am I being too ambitious? Please advice how to improve my itineraries.

Best regards,
Bill
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 06:11 PM
kja

It really depends on what you want to see and experience! I thought Kyoto / Nara easily merited 6 full days on a first visit, and was willing to less time to other places to make that happen, but your interests and preferences could differ.

Have you looked at japan-guide.com? IMO, it’s an excellent resource.

I'm sure you'll see some wonderful things no matter what you choose.
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 07:26 PM

It's feasible, though quite ambitious. And as suggested, Kyoto really needs more time - although it will always be there and you can see more in a future trip. Nobody sees it all the first time anyways.

For getting in from Tokyo, you have several ways - there is the Keisei train, 1000 yen bus, Narita Express, and orange Limousine Bus. Choose which gives you the right savings or convenience.
There is also a good 2-3 day subway pass to save money.
For Hakone, the Loop Course is a good way to use the free pass and see the sights. You can save a little time if you return to Mishima to catch the bullet train instead of Odawara after seeing Hakone.

The 7 day JR Pass does pay off with the side trip to Hiroshima added. You could see a few choice sights in Hiroshima City (e.g. Peace Park/Museum, castle, Shukkeien Garden, Mitakidera temple, Okonomiyaki-mura, or something else if interested) and go see Miyajima for half a day. It does entail a lot of riding the train, but that said, it's really one of the highlights of Japan. The Itsukushima Shrine with the giant "floating torii" is de rigueur for most, but don't just leave after that like so many do - the Daishoin Temple is also a delight and worthwhile. Lots of deer wandering around as well, and they are not as pushy as those in Nara Park. Speaking of which, spending half a day in Nara Park, especially to see the Todaiji Great Buddha, might be the crowning jewel of your visit to Japan - it is simply awe inspiring. Since you are already spending some time in Tokyo, you could do less in Osaka. although after a day in Kyoto, it is easy to enjoy the night life in Osaka and there are many great places, like Dotonbori (try the takoyaki octopus dumplings) and the night views from the Umeda Sky Building or Abeno Harukas Building. On another evening, you could also go see Kobe if you like.

In Hiroshima, as an added bonus you can use the JR Pass to ride the loop bus to get around.
If you use your pass Mar 19-25, you can use the JR Pass for the Haruka train to KIX.

Last edited by Adastra2200; Feb 22nd, 2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kja
It really depends on what you want to see and experience! I thought Kyoto / Nara easily merited 6 full days on a first visit, and was willing to less time to other places to make that happen, but your interests and preferences could differ.

Have you looked at japan-guide . com? IMO, it’s an excellent resource.

I'm sure you'll see some wonderful things no matter what you choose.
I also wanted to stay more days at Kyoto. I actually planned to stay 2 nights at Kyoto. But, what can I do, I already bought my flight ticket. However, I've changed my plan a bit. I'll be staying a night at Nara, so that I can start early in the morning to explore it. Then, maybe after lunch, I'll be heading to Kyoto.

I'm looking at japan-guide . com now. Thanks for your advice!

Originally Posted by Adastra2200
It's feasible, though quite ambitious. And as suggested, Kyoto really needs more time - although it will always be there and you can see more in a future trip. Nobody sees it all the first time anyways.

The 7 day JR Pass does pay off with the side trip to Hiroshima added. You could see a few choice sights in Hiroshima City (e.g. Peace Park/Museum, castle, Shukkeien Garden, Mitakidera temple, Okonomiyaki-mura, or something else if interested) and go see Miyajima for half a day. It does entail a lot of riding the train, but that said, it's really one of the highlights of Japan. The Itsukushima Shrine with the giant "floating torii" is de rigueur for most, but don't just leave after that like so many do - the Daishoin Temple is also a delight and worthwhile. Lots of deer wandering around as well, and they are not as pushy as those in Nara Park. Speaking of which, spending half a day in Nara Park, especially to see the Todaiji Great Buddha, might be the crowning jewel of your visit to Japan - it is simply awe inspiring. Since you are already spending some time in Tokyo, you could do less in Osaka. although after a day in Kyoto, it is easy to enjoy the night life in Osaka and there are many great places, like Dotonbori (try the takoyaki octopus dumplings) and the night views from the Umeda Sky Building or Abeno Harukas Building. On another evening, you could also go see Kobe if you like.

In Hiroshima, as an added bonus you can use the JR Pass to ride the loop bus to get around.
If you use your pass Mar 19-25, you can use the JR Pass for the Haruka train to KIX.
Thanks so much! The Hiroshima day trip is actually the reason why I decided to buy the JR Pass. The return shinkansen to the city actually more expansive than the pass itself. Plus, I can take the hop-on-hop-off bus around Hiroshima for free and the Miyajima ferry too.

I'm considering to buy the 72-hours metro pass for Tokyo and Fuji Hakone Pass for my trip to the area. For Osaka, I'm currently researching on Osaka Amazing Pass to see is it worth to buy since I'll only have a day to explore the city. But, from my friends' experiences, they said Osaka got less thing to see as compared to Tokyo. Maybe I look for a pass that can cover both Osaka and Kyoto?

Thanks so much, guys!

Btw, do you guys have any advice on where should I stay in Tokyo (I found great places in Kawaguchiko, Nara, Kyoto and Osaka already, but Tokyo is really confusing me)? I already booked a hotel near to Shin-Okubo station already, but I find an airbnb apartment near to Hatsudai metro station with half its price. Should I take it? I've bad experience with airbnb before anyway.

Best regards,
Bill
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 05:34 PM

I can't say whether some Air B&B place which I don't know is better than some hotel which I also don't know. And nobody knows what place you're satisfied with better than you.

If you want some inexpensive place though, as I said in another thread you might consider a business hotel like Superhotel, Toyoko Inn, Comfort Inn, Oak Hotel, Route Inn, and others. Nothing fancy, but inexpensive, clean, quiet, well located, have high speed internet, and they throw in breakfast for free. I didn't check which are near Shin-Okubo though. I would suggest also that you do spend at least one night in a Japanese inn (ryokan) for the experience. You can find some listed here, or look at the Kimi Ryokan, Tama Ryokan, Taito Ryokan, or Tokyo Ryokan.
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 05:45 PM
kja

Originally Posted by redblanc129
I also wanted to stay more days at Kyoto. I actually planned to stay 2 nights at Kyoto. But, what can I do, I already bought my flight ticket.
Well, you could skip Hakone and Osaka... but it really depends on what you want from this trip.

Where to stay in Tokyo depends, I think, on what you want to do there. I think this thread is the one to which Adastra2200 referred:
One week in Tokyo, where to stay
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm currently considering the Toyoko Inn and Oak Hotel. The price is similar to the hotel that I've booked already.

About Ryokan, I'll be staying in one at Kawaguchiko. Just in front of the lake, and facing the Fuji-san. Hope it is good.

Best regards,
Bill