Nanjing & Kaifang

Search

Nanjing & Kaifang

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nanjing & Kaifang

Has anyone spent any time in either of these cities and are they worth going to? If so, how much time in each?
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 01:58 PM

I just returned from Nanjing. I suggest to plan for something like 3 days/2 nights.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Mmyk - have you or do you intend to do a trip report? I'd love to hear about your time in china. In particular I'm interested in what you did in Nanjing. Any particular recommendations?
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 06:50 AM

not sure about trip report since everything has muddled in my mind (can't recall all the details any more) and busy planning the next trip to Europe.

A few memorable sites for me were:
- Confucius Temple - go at night. It's really a lively place with lots of restaurants, tourist shops, along a river. So it's not really a traditional temple. Very pretty view with lights along the river and boat rides too. Lots of interesting food stalls (I didn't have the guts to try eating the food though).

- XuanWu Lake - Go take a stroll. It's beautiful. Plan 2 hrs min as it's huge. Lots of flowering tree now - don't know if that is still the case for your visit but it was really worth the visit for me.

Both of above are free for admission. Skip the Nanjing Museum eventhough it's free. Not worth the time as the collection is not that great.

I missed going to the ZhongZhan memorial (the one you have to climb up a lot of stairs to commemorate Sun Yat San). Recommend going to that since I heard it's pretty up there.

Don't do the Cable Cable car as it's not that interesting (at least to me). BTW, keep in mind that clear days are few and far between with the bad pollution.

JiMing Temple (I think that's what it's called) was also worth a visit for going to a traditional working Buddhist temple. Very pretty views. I didn't bother climbing the temple itself. Admission is under 20 rmb (might be 10 or something). Kind of hard to get to unless with a lot of walking from a subway station. Take a taxi, unless you figure out the bus system.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 06:55 AM

I heard the Massacre Museum was interesting (info can be chilling and gruesome reflecting how the Japanese tortured and mass murdered lots of civilians). I would've gone to that if I had time.

I went to the Presidential museum. Interesting but not overly so (unless you understand the history around the end of Ching Dynasty and birth of modern China - I'm fussy in this area and descriptions are mostly written in Chinese). Nevertheless, this is one of those 'must-go' attractions in NJ.

Most sites are reachable by Subway. Only 2 lines, very easy. But once you get out of the station, the signage is not good showing which way to walk.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 07:23 AM

I now remember the JiMing Temple is 7 rmb entrance. We had 3 people and the lady at the ticket sales got upset that she had to give me 9 rmb change. You get your tix, then walk up a few steps and give that tix to another lady who give out 3 incents. Save the incents to use when you get to the top.

People in NJ are really nice. Very patient and helpful when I use my broken Chinese to ask directions.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your info. We will definitely spend a few days in Nanjing.