Nancy Chandler map questions.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving for Bangkok in just over a weeks time so I have left my run too late for ordering the map on-line and cant seem to find it anywhere in Oz.I was hoping that someone could tell me where to buy it in bkk.Is it available at one of the airport shops or anywhere near the Marriott resort where we are staying?
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 05:00 PM

In Bangkok we saw it all over the place...airport shops, hotel shops, book stores...you'll have no trouble at all getting one once you are there.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kim,good news.I wont bother buying any other maps or guide books seeing it will be easily obtained when I am there.Might pick it up at the airport so I can scope out the sights on the ride to the hotel.Thanks again.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 05:40 PM

in the mini mall at the marriott there was a sort of newspaper shop on the top level looking back towards the hotel, next to ron the tailor...i did not walk down there this year, but last year they had the maps..

is is available almost everywhere in bkk....book shops, any large hotels newspaper shop...aisa books....department stores in the book section....nancy chandler's shop in the nite market...i bet if you e mailed her office from their web site they would tell you where it is avaialble near to the marriott???? they are very friendly, even to people from OZ....
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 06:46 PM

how much does the map cost?
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 07:46 PM

I found the Nancy Chandler map to be very helpful when I was in Bangkok, however, it is quite shocking when you see it for the first time. It is very brightly colored and hand-drawn with crayons, markers and pencils! There are hand-written notes and suggestions all over it! It's like something your best friend, the world traveler, would put together for you. By the way, if you go to amazon.com, you may find the price and get a peak of it, as well.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 07:47 PM

it costs about 180 baht (just over 4 dollars?)
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 07:48 PM

it costs about $3-5....it is large and has tons of info on it...it is not to scale so that makes things difficult as well...i find it hard to use but also an invaluable tool for visiting bangkok....sub-sections like the map of the weekend market are hard to beat...her website is also a great site for current up to date info...
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 07:29 AM

Instead of running around Bangkok trying to find the map(which is many times sold out), just go directly to the source. Go to Nancy Chandler Graphics...20 North Sathorn Rd...Bubhajit Building...9th floor...telephone...66.02.266.6579. They're open M-F around 9-5. The building is near the Sukothai Hotel which is on South Sathorn Road. If I were you, I'd call them, make sure they have it in stock, have them hold a copy for you, and then taxi over there and pick it up. Taxis are cheap in Bangkok. They are a great company that's VERY helpful. I had them ship 40 Nancy Chandler coffee mugs to me and Nancy's daughter, Nima,who runs the company in BK, got them to me in 2 days...all the way to California.Nima and I were on the e-mail for a little over a week with each other... She even sent me free wrapping paper and other free items since it was for my birthday celebration.She worked hard on finding the cheapest way to ship the box to me since it weighed over 25 kilos. The coffee mugs were gifts I was giving my guests who were to attend my birthday luncheon.I always give guests a gift at my parties. When I ran out of party invitations, I contacted Nima, who contacted her mom,Nancy,who lives up near San Francisco and she searched through her garage to see if she could find some left over cards to send me so that the shipping would be cheaper from CA than from BK. She found them and expressed mail them to me before even receiving money for them....and even enclosed a note to wish me a happy birthday. So, it was GREAT doing business with them. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 08:30 AM

dperry, if you can wait till you get to BKK, the prices BKKmei & rhk quoted are much better. Amazon was about $13 US, about the same price as purchasing it directly from Nancy Chandler including shipping from BKK. I guess you need to decide it it's worth the extra $ to have it in advance to help plan your trip. It also comes with a little book that has lots of addresses for various businesses plus helpful phrases and prases written in Thai you can show your taxi driver so you can communicate.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 10:23 AM

There is a new edition of the map coming out. When I ordered it from Amazon, it was not yet available, so I cancelled my order and will buy it in Bangkok.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Kathie, the lastest edition that I know of is the 23rd which came out February 1 of this year. Is there another in the works? I am hoping to have the latest edition with me when I go. There is nothing on Amazon or on the nancychandler.net web site about a new edition.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 11:08 AM

That's interesting, Craig. I'll have to go back and re-examine the email I received from Amazon. My understanding was that there is a new edition coming out and that was why they couldn't get it. I'll have to check when I get home and see if I still have the email.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 11:14 AM

An email I had from Nima at the end of July said the following re. the Chiang Mai and BKK maps

"PS: As regards maps, we are working on a new Chiang Mai map, but going digital has us behind schedule. Hopefully we will have a new Bangkok map out by June 2006, but you can always just check in with us a month before you need them and we'll let you know then."
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Craig,
when I get home I'll see which edition I just received from Amazon and let you know.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 01:27 PM

Craig,
The Nancy Chandler Bangkok I just got from Amazon was the 23rd "Completely Revised" Edition.
MaryAnn
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:50 PM

am i the only one who had trouble using the chandler maps??? i bought both bkk and chiang mai and with the exception of being able to locate the toilets at the weekend market, i thought the map was over priced and very difficult to read.
it is not to scale, the taxi drivers looked at it like americans are crazy to try to find anything using the map...and i had to agree.
i still have them, dont even think i will pack them for next months trip.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 04:32 PM

I had absolutely no problem with the map. I've used it for years. I HAVE had problems with those maps that they give out for free at hotels. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 05:47 PM

I think the map is horridly designed. Looks like a preschooler designed it, otherwise it has some good information.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 06:19 PM

the map is difficult but when you get used to it it grows on you....it is ment to be fun so i think that is why it is designed the way it is...

there is tons of info on it about all kinds of things....you have to spend hours looking it over....there is no key so that makes it even more difficult...i use it to get the lay-out of bkk and to see how things fit together....the scale is non-existent...

i would not go without it....i much prefer ron krannich's: the treasurers and pleasurers of thailand and myanmar...however...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -