Search

Myanmar visa experience

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myanmar visa experience

Hello everyone:
Just to let you know about our recent experience on obtaining a visa for Myanmar. My husband and I are at present living in China and for different reasons were unable to obtain our visa for Myanmar in China. Therefore we decided to try our luck at getting it in Bangkok. We had a 3 day stay in BKK, which unfortunately in this case was a Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We were at the Myanmar embassy bright and early (8:15 am)and we got into the queue behind about 8 others who were obtaining their own visas. (inside there are two queues.. one for those applying for themselves, the other for travel agents etc. applying for others)
When the doors opened we signed our names on a paper that we were offered.The embassy visa official called out names as they appeared on the numbered list. Ahead of us were some independant travellers all of whom, like us ,wanted their visas on the "same day service". The first person in line was a young businessman who requested the visa that day as he had a business meeting in Yangon the next day. He was told that the signing officer was not in that day and that same day visas were not possible. Of course we all overheard this and the arguing began. The business man was able to plead his case and was granted his same day visa which he (apparently) would be able to pick up that afternoon. I don't know if this actually happened but he was told he was the only one who would be allowed this service that day. The rest of us were told under no circumstances would a same day visa be allowed. It would be Monday before we could possibly have them. We all left the embassy having to alter any plans we had made. My husband and I were supposed to travel to Phnom Penh on Monday morning so we had to leave the Myanmar embassy without even leaving our applications. Subsequently in order to still make the trip to Myanmar we had to forego our time in Phnom Penh and stay in Bangkok. We went back to the Embassy on the Monday and put in our application and again the signing officer wasn't available that day. This time it was ok for us but there were many other people who showed up early to get their visa and were disappointed.
The reason for this topic is for all those people who want to do the same as us and get a visa for Myanmar on arrival in Bangkok or wherever else. I know others on this board have had good luck with the same day service but I had to let everyone know it is not always possible
We leave Tuesday for our much anticipated first trip to Myanmar. I will hopefully write more later about our experiences there.
regards
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:47 AM

Sorry about your experience but just imagine someone from Myanmar trying to apply for a US visa or a EEC visa. For the average Thais, Filipino, Chinese and many other Asian countries 2 trips to the US embassy to get a tourist visa would be consider as good or a happy experience!

Hope you'll have a good time in Myanmar.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Hanuman:

I did not write this email to complain about the service nor to look for pity, I wrote it to let people know what to expect. That's why this forum exists.
I have no knowledge of applying for US visas in any country and I am not sure why you felt the need to comment in this way. If anyone does have or need information about travelling to the US then I am sure they could write about it on the US forum.
I don't know why you even mention this as it has nothing to do with travel to Asia. (and if you are telling me this thinking I am American, then I am afraid you are mistaken)
In my country we have had many students live with us from various Asian countries who seem to have had no problems getting visas. I am presently living in China and teaching students who travel back and forth to my country all the time to study and sometimes to immigrate.
This forum is for information and that's what I was doing, giving information.
Forgive me if it struck you in the wrong way.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:20 AM

Just wanted to let you know that it's even harder for Asian to apply for a visa to the USA, EEC, and yes even Canada. Two days or more to get a visa is normal IMO and I can't imagine someone thinking that they should expect a visa in a day especially going to a country such as Myanmar.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Hanuman:

This thread is purely meant for those who are attempting to make a trip into Myanmar and are not able to get their Visa in their home country for whatever reason. As I said before it has nothing whatsoever to do with those who are travelling from anywhere else to anywhere else. Why make such comments as you have when they have no relevance.
For your information it is the Myanmar embassy who offers same day service to those who wish it and who will pay extra for the service. It is a well known fact. If the signing officer is on duty then a same day express visa is possible however if he/she doesn't happen to be in then people must wait.
I was responding to others who had in the past been able to do this and others who had problems. I was adding my own very recent experiences so others could have all their facts before deciding when and where to get their visa.
Whatever you can or "can't imagine" is irrelevant to this topic.
I suggest you stick to the topic or move on. If you want to make comments about entry requirements for Asians to other places then put in on the appropriate forums.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 06:52 AM

Can you get a visa at the border from Thailand? Is there way to gain entry to Myanmar or Laos from Northern Thailand without obtaining a visa before? We are going to Thailand and also would like to visit Yangoon. Is it safe? are there beaches there?
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 07:32 AM

I, for one, was happy to see this post so I would not try to wait and get the M visa in Bangkok . . . which we thought we might do. This just reinforces my first thought . . . to go ahead and get our visas here (in USA) before we go.

I am appreciative of any and all information posted here . . . when it's your first time to visit someplace, you need all the help you can get . . . esp. someplace like Myanmar which is not quite on the beaten path.

Thanks,
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok has actually improved its service. When I got a Myanmar visa there in Dec. 2004 the travel agents used the SAME queue as the independents, which meant you were stuck behind people making multiple applications, and it could take all day just to submit an application (I figured this was to let the travel agents get more business, as a number of people hired a travel agent instead of waiting). And there was no same day service at all. The week I was there was particularly bad, as there were two holidays and the embassy was only open for three days, and it took three days to get a visa. So, if you can get the visa before leaving home, definitely do so (I was in the middle of a long trip).
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 01:24 PM

For those of you that live in the US, getting your visa before you leave is easy and takes about 2 weeks. You fill out the forms, send them along with your passport(s), a money order and a return express mail envelope to the embassy in Washington, DC. For those of you that live in China...well it sounds like it is not as easy - sorry to hear of your bad experience, keldar.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 02:09 PM

Sometimes I think the experience you have trying to get a visa depends on where you are applying. I got my Myanmar visa in Singapore and it was amazingly simple and easy. Perhaps it's because fewer people try to get Myanmar visas here or perhaps because the visa office is staffed by very efficient Singaporeans. I turned up one morning, no queue, filled out the form, handed them the money and left. I was there all of 5 minutes. Similar scenario when I picked it up 2 days later.

The information you provided will be helpful to others. Thanks for posting.