My Tailor in Shanghai

Feb 29th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

My Tailor in Shanghai

For those of you who are or are not familiar with my tailor in Shanghai, he has moved to 315 Tai Yuan Road last week, still in the old french concession. His name is Sun Jinghai.

Disclaimer: I am not invested in his little shop altho he is born in the same village as my grandma and bear the same last name. I like his professional skills and excellent service.
Feb 29th, 2008, 08:40 AM

Wow!! I wish I had known about this guy before my visit!!! Most likely you had given me this information, along with all your other great tips and I forgot! I will file it away for next time. And I hope there will be a next time someday soon!! Thank you again, S!!!
Feb 29th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

At that time that place we'll have another GTG!
Mar 1st, 2008, 06:26 AM

Can you tell me how long it takes to have say a suit made - we will only be there 2 days? Do we need an appointment?

Thank you!
Mar 1st, 2008, 07:40 AM

and can you tell us some same costs??
Mar 1st, 2008, 04:08 PM

Thank you, Shanghainese! I don't know if we will get anything tailored, but it's good to know these things. I would love to have lots of clothes made, but there are practicalities like time and money! My husband's arms are different lengths and it would be great to get him some shirts, but I think he would just laugh if I suggested it.

Linda
Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Asking my family to get all the answers for you, stay tuned ...
Mar 6th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Mr Sun's phone # is 6497-0734

No appointment needed, he doesn't speak English!
Hours are usually 10 am - 6 pm but he regularly starts early or stays late, chinese tailors are used to burning the midnight oil, refering to the ancient oil lamps before electricity.

2 days for a suit is a rush since he doesn't have staff and you won't be able to have a fitting which is recommended, and it depends on his work load.

Costs are difficult to estimate, are you bringing your own material or using his? Cashmere, garbadine, cotton or silk? And if you don't care for the color or pattern he has in stock, he will have to go to his fabric supplier to bring back swatches for you to choose. A suit will be different from a shirt or long coat, womens' chinese style outfits take more work as the frogs instead of buttons have to be individually tied. He is competitive with other tailors in Shanghai, and definitly much less than western world tailors.

You may want to make a visit before you decide what to do, just my thoughts.