Search

must see in northern Honshu

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
must see in northern Honshu

Hi

We'd like to travel to Japan in June but realize it can already be hot in the Kanto region.

If we make our way down from Hokkaido (cooler we hope) to Tokyo, what areas would you recommend in northern Honshu ? We have about 12 days to cover Hokkaido (fly into Sapporo)and northern Honshu as we back our way back to leave from NRT.

We'd like to see some temples and hot springs.

Thanks.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:53 PM

We loved Kakunodate and Lake Tazawako. They are both at altitude so would be a little cooler in July. You can read about our travels there in my trip report below if your interested

http://tinyurl.com/37hwc3

You can check out some great ryokan or minshuku in this region on this site

http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/index.htm

Lots of people also do the Sendai to Matsushima area.

Aomori and the Oriase stream is nice along with Lake Towadako is cooler in the mountains with a lot of ryokan in the area. Lots of area to explore in N Tohoku. I am sure others will jump in with more suggestions soon

Aloha!

Old Oct 25th, 2007, 09:25 AM

ttt
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 12:34 PM

On Hokkaido:

- You could stop at Shiraoi for a couple of hours to visit the Ainu village if you have some spare time.

- Highly recommend going to Noboribetsu Onsen. Go to the baths at Daiichi Takimotokan but stay at a smaller place.

- See if a stop at Toya-ko interests you

- Hakodate is worth a stop, if you have time.

In <i>Tohoku</i> (northern Honshu), I second ht's recommendation of visiting Kakunodate. I would head up to Nyuto Onsen.

Near Sendai is Matsushima Bay which is one of the three famous &quot;beauty spots&quot; in Japan. I was a bit underwhelmed by it, though others thought it was beautiful. Maybe it was my mood.

Look for festival information for the region, esp. Akita.

Might want to see if visiting Dewa Senzan (Dewa Sanzan) is for you.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to you both.

I did go back and read ht's trip report -enjoyed it and will follow up on those sites you mention there.

Is it reasonable to rent a car in Sapporo and drive up to Shiretoko ? Any recommendations on where to stay near there ?

Thanks.

Old Oct 25th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Haven't rented a car in Japan......yet. If I were to, Hokkaido would be the place. Here is some info on travel between Sapporo and the Shiretoko Peninsula

http://tinyurl.com/2f2877

Aloha!
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

As I map out our days I am realizing that 2 weeks will fly by quickly between Hokkaido and Tokyo !

In fact, unless we strip our itinerary down, we will not be able to see Shiretoko, Daisetsu-zan, and Hakkodate/Noboribetsu , Tozawa-ko/Kakunodate and Fukushima, unless we whirlwind it !

Plus I had hoped to see Nikko as well on our return to Tokyo.

Is this too busy ?
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Depends on how you like to travel. In April we will be doing in 4 weeks

Tokyo to
Kagoshima
Sakurajima
Fukuoka
Hiroshima
Miyajima
Matsuyama
Himeji
Kobe
Nagoya
Hakone
Hakodate
Noboribetsu
Aomori
Kakunodate
Osenkaku to
Tokyo

I will do a trip report when I return before you leave in June. Travel in Japan is very easy. Travel lightly while on trains. If you can't, like us, send things ahead of you to strategic locations via one of their super efficient delivery services.

You can do it faster if you fly all the way to the Shiretoko Peninsula from Tokyo to Memanbetsu Airport, then start by train or rent a car to Sapporo, Noboribetsu,Hakodate, Kakunodate/Tazawako Nyuto Onsen/Nikko/Tokyo

Aloha!
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks HT

Your itinerary looks pretty complete !Are you arranging the entire trip yourself ?

OK, I feel my itinerary is &quot;doable&quot; now.

We like to linger in places -really want to see Shiretoko and Tozawa-ko.

Really looking forward to rotemburos and ryokans in these areas. If you have specific recommendations would appreciae them.

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 06:13 PM

Yes we arrange everything ourselves with the help and suggestions from our fodors friends.

I recommend you check out Tsurunoyu Onsen in the Nyuto Onsen/Lake Tazawako region. The place is magic

http://tinyurl.com/3you3c

If you stay at Noboribetsu Onsen mrwunrfl has a great suggestion of going to the baths at Daiichi Takimotokan and staying somewhere cheaper. You can stay across the street at Takimoto Inn which is owned by the same people who own Daiichi so they let you use all the
baths for free.

http://tinyurl.com/2z8zcf

Check out Senhime Monogatari in Nikko. Classy place you read about in my report.

http://tinyurl.com/yq5klw

I am also looking at this place for a future stay

http://tinyurl.com/29onlq

Aloha!
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 10:37 AM

hawaiiantraveler,

Thanks for the link to your trip report. I enjoyed reading it.

I had never heard of Tsurunoyu till now and I've been reading about it non-stop online. It sounds wonderful and I'm very impressed that the owner has not increased the prices despite its popularity (one and a half year wait for weekend booking!).

Your upcoming trip sounds very ambitious and if you need any help planning it, let me know.
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 06:08 PM

HI there

Yes, you can rent a car in Sapporo (TooCoo is a good company for car rental in Japan) and drive to Shiretoko - it is basically a one day long drive - so most people go Sapporo to midway - maybe Furano or Lake Akan - and then go on to Utoro - stay at least one night - and then drive back via Obihiro or go north to Sounkyo Gorge and Asahikawa.

Or you could get JR Rail pass - either for all Japan or the short Hokkaido only passes - and do it by train - renting a car only in East Hokkaido, somewhere like Kushiro Station or Abashiri.

June is a great time in Hokkaido. Are you planning some hiking?