Murders in Thailand

Search

Murders in Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Murders in Thailand

I have just read an article about two British backpackers slain by a Thai police officers close to the Kwai Bridge.

Apparently, he's been granted bail and is now walking around free, now doubt indimidating witnesses.

What's up with that?? I am taking my wife on our anniversary to Vietnam and Cambodia, and was thinking about visiting Thailand for a few days, but I am having a strong urge to ditch this place at this point.

What do fellow Fodorites think about this?? Anybody that lives in Thailand?
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 05:56 PM

I haven't follow the case but if the accused is out on bail then it's the court decision. If convicted the sentence for murder is the death penalty but if he's acquitted then in the eyes of the court he didn't commit the crime. From your writings you seem to have knowledge or information that the accused is definitely guilty - you should inform the Royal Thai police or Scotland Yard.

Enjoy Cambodia and Vietnam - much safer over there!

Old Mar 26th, 2005, 07:27 PM

Hanuman-you're making me laugh!
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 06:38 AM

Go to thailand it is a relatively safe country for tourists, and probably much safer on average than cambodia or vietnam. But you can be unlucky anywhere!

If this police officer is in the business of intimidating witnesses then this can easily be done whether one is granted bail or not. You just have to know the right people. If he's a crooked policeman, I guess he would know the right people.

There are 100s of 1000s of possible criminals walking the streets on bail across the world and many of these will be suspected murderers, so Thailand, in this respect, is no different to the rest of the world.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 09:20 AM
CFW

Lenny M, Don't know where you are from, but you certainly should not visit the U.S. or almost any other place because there is crime everywhere & all sorts of criminals are out on bail (or have never been caught) & walking around the streets free! You should probably just stay home.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I think I have been misunderstood; I am not afraid of going to Thailand, but I am rather concerned about spending my money in a country where it's apparently OK to shoot at Western tourists and get away with this. Insofar as the police charges are concerned, he has admitted to have shot the tourists because he 'lost face'. The judge has yet to sentence the fellow, but he is already out there parading in a police uniform. That, to me, is disturbing. Where is the justice for these two poor kids? It's not about being afraid of visiting Thailand; just avoiding it as a matter of principle. Someone should speak up for fellow travellers, and send a loud and clear message to the governments to get them going.

As for me, I am Swiss and have travelled through Europe, North and South America, Africa, the Middle East, and the Orient. My daughter was kidnapped in a foreign land many years ago, and I had the misfortune to witness complacent (and corrupt) local officials firsthand. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Please leave the "stay back home" tips for someone else.

Regards,
Lenny
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 05:09 PM

Lenny,

I don't know where you getting the idea that the policemen accused of this crime is walking around free and that he has assumed active police duty. I've checked on this story and yes the accused is out on bail, his right under our laws if the judge grant it, but he has not resume active duty as a policeman. In fact he's under suspension pending the outcome of his trial.

Why do you keep saying:

1/. "I am rather concerned about spending my money in a country where it's apparently OK to shoot at Western tourists and get away with this." - the accused is undergoing a murder trial with a possible death sentence if found guilty. Why dont' you wait until the court has pass it's judgement?

2/. " Where is the justice for these two poor kids?" Again the trial is ongoing. Whether bail should have been granted or not that I leave to the criminal court.

Lastly here's a cut and paste from the BBC news website:

Fathers' appeal in Thailand trial

Sergeant Somchai Wisetsingh denies murder
The fathers of two Devon backpackers killed during a trip to Thailand have appealed for justice at a murder trial.
Police Master Sergeant Somchai Wisetsingh told a court in Thailand he fired five shots at Adam Lloyd, 25, from Torquay.

Mr Lloyd's girlfriend Vanessa Arscott, 23, from Ashburton, was allegedly run over and shot by Sgt Wisetsingh following the shooting in Kanchanaburi.

Sgt Wisetsingh denies murdering Mr Lloyd and killing Miss Arscott.

Vanessa Arscott was killed moments after her boyfriend, Adam Lloyd
Ms Arscott's father Graham, 57, told judges she was killed on what should have been her engagement day.

He said: "They were in love and looking forward to their future lives together.

"September 8th was their first anniversary of being together, but Adam was murdered and Vanessa was executed instead."

As Mr Arscott stood in the witness box for 45 minutes giving evidence about his daughter who, he said, loved children and animals and made hundreds of friends, Sgt Wisetsingh sat with his head bowed looking at the floor.

Mr Arscott said he was confident of getting justice through the court, while Mr Lloyd's father Brian told the court his family would never be the same again.

It is customary in Thailand's court system that families must give statements in court.

Sgt Wisetsingh's defence is due to begin on 29 March.

If he is convicted he could be executed.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 05:50 PM

lenny---and you are thinking about going to cambodia and vietnam???? why don't you add myanmar as well...?
Old May 24th, 2005, 05:10 AM

As a close friend to Adam and a friend to Vanessa. I can not explane how lovely it is to hear that people who did not know them understand the stupidity in granting him bail. We are hoping to get justice on thursday. This was suppose to have been a dream holiday and the fact that so many young people travel there, no one will ever belive how much pain that this trip has brought to all that knew and loved them. Long may there memory live.
Old May 24th, 2005, 05:26 PM

I am a close friend to Adam and a friend to Vanessa too. The verdict is on Thursday and we hope to get justice. I would be keen to get in touch with the person who posted the previous message. Is there a way I can get in touch with them? The link on their screename does not appear to work.

Thank you.
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:04 AM

Just came across this topic by chance while sitting in front of my PC and listen to local news in Thailand. They said something about a policeman who killed tourists. Heard that he might be executed. Try to have a look in Bangkok Post tomorrow if this is the one. Sorry for your friends' misery.
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:36 AM

www.phuketgazette.net has todays story
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:01 AM

thanks for the info, james. happy to see justice served, sad for the loss of two young lives.

loved hanuman's postings.
Old May 26th, 2005, 04:53 PM

Update for those who cannot follow the link. The police officer was found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment. No idea however how long a life sentence is in Thailand. Did not get death penalty as he had plead guilty at some stage of his previous detention.

Steve
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:38 AM

The guilty party actually got 2 life sentences. I believe, not 100% sure, that each life sentence in Thailand is 50 years.

Also, Thai jails are not your Penn or Oriental type so to be in one until you die might be worst then the death penalty!