Mubai and beyond?

Search

Mubai and beyond?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mubai and beyond?

My 23 year old daughter and myself were planning on flying to Mumbai to meet my son who is currently working up north of Delhi. We went last year and visited him along with the Taj,Delhi,Jaipur,etc. so thought that this year we might try southern India.
We were thinking of flying into Mumbai nonstop from the states and then spending some time there along with another city or cities for about a week to 10 days. I have spoken to several people who are from Mumbai and they advised me to not stay that long there as it really is not a vacation spot.
I had thought of Goa but we are three blonds who are really not beach people. Any other places that you would suggest visiting from Mumbai that won't cost alot to get to? Thanks! This would be for next month before Christmas.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 06:16 PM

Can you tell me the time of year that you are planning the trip for, as that makes a huge difference for India. (You want to avoid monsoons unless you want to go see it break somewhere which could be interesting.) I would note as a first item that Mumbai is hugely well connected by air to many places in India so you can easily get to other places, you are not limited to the immediate vicinity of Mumbai. I would agree that 10 days is too much. If you don't like Goa, there are lots of other choices (although Goa is not all about the beach, lots of Portugese influence there and great food).

Also, if you can tell us what you liked and or disliked about the northern trip (what you want to see more of, or less of) that might help too. I am sure you son may have ideas as well.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

If we go, it will be the second week of December this year-about 3 weeks away. I am very torn between having my son meet us in Europe instead and perhaps celebrating with more traditional Christmas things?

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 08:31 PM

Dutyfree, the penny just dropped on who you are. How is your son, please give us an update, as it seems he has lasted in India (Dehradun) beyond his 5 months last year….Also, sorry, I just now saw that you are looking at traveling next month. Based on that, some travel suggestions would be:

The Elora and Ajanta caves would be first on most tourists lists for short trips from Mumbai, and are quite spectacular, esp if you have an interest in Buddhist art. You can fly from Mumbai in about an hour to Aurangabad, and start out from there. I would also say that the Ahmadabad area might be worth consideration, a short visit there to see Gandhi’s ashram and then you can go into the countryside of Gujarat to visit villages which are known for their rather astonishing textile work (I have seen and purchased examples in Mumbai).

Another idea is to go up to Murang, which is a hill station area and would be a bit cooler than Mumbai. One place to consider staying is the Verandah in the Forest It’s an old colonial-style hill station retreat (the hotel has a bit more charm than actual facilities, but the ghost of the British Raj certainly is interesting), there is walking/trekking, some birding, etc. Pretty convenient to and from Mumbai by car. See http://www.neemranahotels.com. You might consider going there for New Years with your group.

For trips further afield, you could go down to Kerala, which while it does have beaches, also inlands waterways where you can rent rice barge houseboats and tour those areas rather than sitting on a beach. There is a small Jewish community surviving in Kochi, it would certainly be interesting. There is also the Western Ghat mountain area which I have never been too, but which I understand is very beautiful and untouristed with good walking and opportunities to see wildlife. This would be a few hours drive from the Calicut (Kozhikode) area on the west coast of Kerala.

You might want to consider someplace like Hyderabad, which is a very interesting city in south India with a large Muslim population and which would give you a totally different flavour from Mumbai. Several good museums, the Golconda fort and other interesting architecture and good food. Would be an easy non-stop flight from Mumbai, I would recco Kingfisher Airlines (http://www.flykingfisher.com/) ) or Jet Air http://www.jetairways.com/ over Indian Air. You might even look to flying out of India from Hyderabad, as Singapore Airlines has a non-stop to Singapore, and you could then connect to a flight to the US.

Bangalore would also be a short flight from Mumbai, and while the city itself does not have a lot for the tourist (maybe half a day’s worth), the city of Mysore is about 3 hours by car or train and is very interesting for an overnight or longer. You may be able to combine this with a trip to other parts of the south, like Kerala, look at flight and train schedules.
The east coast of India, like the Chennai area and that lovely coast, generally is just coming out of a rainy season, but late December should be OK. You can go from Chennai down to Pondicherry and points inland. Great temples, some French colonial bits (like catholic churches and French bread) and interesting sights along the way, very much off the beaten tourist path. I am not a beach person either in that I don’t like to lie on them, but the coastal drive is so pretty and there are just hundreds of small fishing villages and other towns along the way. There are also temples and other sights and then you get to Madurai which will just amaze you. The tourist infrastructure is undeveloped compared to places like Rajasthan, so don’t expect luxury.

As I mentioned in my first post, Mumbai is very centrally located, so really look at the Kingfisher and Jet Airways website and see where in India might interest and how you may be able to get there. Also, if you do decide on Hyderabad or Bangalore, you might look into flying in or out of those cites for you international flights, as they are pretty well-serviced, esp. from Singapore and somewhat from Hong Kong. That may be preferable to back-tracking to Mumbai, even for a non-stop in or out of Mumbai.

While I am not a huge fan of Mumbai for the tourist, as yo have already been to India and if you have a non-stop in or out of Mumbai, then do spend a few days there. There certainly are enough things to see for a few days, and good shopping and restaurants.

OK, also now just saw your other post on Europe. I really could not advise. I love Europe at Christmas too so its hard to say. No place in India will have Christmas markets like you will find in Germany for example. But maybe you can go to Shimla, where you have a good chance of snow? If you have no seen Wildflower Hall, that might convince you. Certainly if you go to Ladakh, but that may be too much snow…..norther Japan might be a good place too.

Have to say that Hong Kong is fabulous weather in December and our Christmas decorations are already up!!!

Old Nov 18th, 2008, 12:46 AM

I keep bumping into you Cicerone, sorry to jump into your post dutyfree, but it seems Cicerone is my guy!(or girl)
Just one other question regarding south India- Im portuguese: is Goa really a must-see? I mean what is there to see there? are they just colonial buildings like the ones we have in Macau, or do they have really old churches and forts? And what about the food, is it true it mixes mediterranean with african and indian food? And cochin, do u think it is also a must-see for a Portuguese?

And lastly, dutyfree, im with Cecirone on xmas: in india with snow it might be special, in HK its nice if u like city lights and hardcore shopping, but there's nothing like xmas in europe..its just really special there.Germany,Switzerland or France is lovely, but if u dont want to spend much go to Portugal, the food is great and it isnt so cold...

Ah i just read you will have about 10 days and u dont want to spend much..go to srilanka then, go up the mountains, its wonderful!I was 17 when i went with my parents and it was perfect.Let me know if u want more info.
Happy Holidays!
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 02:38 AM

ritagonc, nice to hear from you, how was Cebu? On your questions, I think that as a Portuguese national, you might find Goa quite interesting. It has many more churches, and larger ones, than Macau, and several palaces/forts too. The churches are also quite active, which I don’t think is too much the case any longer in Macau. It is also much greener than Macau!! And it has lovely beaches, esp from now through about June when it starts to rain. The food I have to say is fantastic, it is a mix of Portuguese and Indian and other cultures too. No egg tarts like in Macau, but great seafood.

As for Kerala, as I think you are already going to Kerala for your yoga course, you can decide whether or not you need to go to Cochin itself. I have to say I don’t feel as much of the Portuguese influence there as in Goa, but there are several lovely churches there too. If I remember my history correctly, the Portuguese were in Goa for a longer time, I think they only left sometime in the 1960s, so that is why the influence seems stronger. But Kerala overall is really beautiful, and there are the rivers and canals to go on; however, if you did not see Cochin, I am not sure it would matter; however if you do not go to Goa you may want to go to Cochin as I think that the greatest concentration of Portuguese architecture in Kerala is there, or go to Thrissur, where there are a number of churches, including the one which is the largest or has the tallest spire in Asia (I can’t remember which). You can see some architecture in other places, for instance the old fort near Kovalam, south of Trivandrum.

I also just looked at the Indian rail website, and see that you can go from Trivandrum to Cochin in less than 5 hours, the cost is Rupees 74 for second class and Rupees 252 for chair car class. There are air con 3 tier AC seats for Rupees 316, which would be nice to have the air con, although for a 5 hour journey in the non-monsoon months you might be just fine without it. There are night trains too which may be a good option.

Old Nov 18th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Cicerone-thank you so much for all of your valuable information(as always!).
My son came home last year at the holidays for a month and a half to get a new visa and more passport pages and then returned back to India in February. He lived most of the year last year in Delhi and then moved back to Dehra Dun this year.

He has loved living in India.The job has provided many different avenues for conferences around India which he has attended.Microfinancing has really taken off over there

My daughter and I visited him last year at this time and did the golden triangle which also involved celebrating Diwali while we were there.Very interesting trip I might add!

Anyway,we are torn with trying to meet him possibly in Greece with my hubs and daughter or just my daughter and I going to Mumbai. We are deciding in the next day so will get back to this thread. I really really appreciate you taking the time for the information. Either way I will be going to Mumbai very soon for work or to visit him-thanks!
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 07:00 PM

Thanks Cicerone. Cebu was great, thank you for remembering BTW. I ended on heading to Bohol island - less touristy, more wild. I loved it, though its a bit more costly than thailand, and the food is nothing special.. but very friendly people and beautiful beaches.

All the best to you and to the dutyfree family.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Definitely glad we changed our travel plans and did not go to Mumbai!