Moving to Hong Kong

Oct 14th, 2001, 03:38 AM
Lisa

Moving to Hong Kong

I've been researching a teaching job in Hong Kong and have wanted to learn more about moving to Hong Kong Island. Anyone out there living there who can help me out? Thanks!

Oct 14th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Michael From New York

Lisa, can't help you with job information, but if you get a job you will need a place to live.

The South China Morning Post has a subsection of their website called
Totally HK.

http://www.totallyhk.com/SettlingIn/HomeFinder/

This article will help you learn about finding apartments, what to look for, etc.

Good luck.

Michael

Oct 23rd, 2001, 03:19 AM
momrath

if you are moving to hk with an expat package, i.e., your employer picks up your expenses, be sure to get housing, transportation and home leave covered, plus a clearly defined exit agreement. if you are moving on your own and expect to live in HK on a teacher's salary, you should visit first to see what kind of housing falls into your price range. even with the economic slowdown HK apartments are some of the most expensive in the world!

Oct 23rd, 2001, 05:45 PM
deepa

Hi Lisa,
I live on HK island and have been in HK for over 5 years. Let me know if I can help. Good Luck. Deepa

Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:07 PM
Ross

Lisa;

Do you know where the school at which you'd be teaching is? This will make a lot of difference.

One general point to remember is that housing on Hong Kong Island is nearly always more expensive than housing elsewhere in HK simply by virtue of being on the island.

Finding a place to live here can be a bit complicated -- there are numerous factors to balance off -- but I'll give you my two cents' worth if you're interested.

Oct 27th, 2001, 03:37 AM
John

Hong Kong is an amazing if not crazy place to live. Do make sure that the money is good enough as it is expensive.

FYI = rent in a small appartment/room will cost as much as 5/6,000 HK$ and that is just a small room thing.

There is a small hotel in HK that offers rooms at around 7,000 per month and that is for a very very small hotel room.

John
SuiteAsia.com travel community