Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

First time to Bali-Which Airline? Hotel?

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 08:51 PM
Debbie

<BR>Can anyone who's been to Bali give me some suggestion(s) on which airline to take and which hotel to choose? I think I'd like to stay in Ubud but??? <BR>Any help would be apprectiated.Thanks.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 10:12 PM
James

Perhaps you can try to get some information on Cathay Pacific's All Asia Pass. They offer a pretty good package. You can get a side trip to Hong Kong before/after spending your time in Bali. (I went to Bangkok instead of Bali) In terms of the airline, Cathay is great with good service and individual TV screens on each seat. About the hotels in Bali, I can't comment much since my last trip there was about 7 years ago. Perhaps someone else can comment on that.

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 08:44 PM
Made

Debbie: <BR> <BR>There are several good airlines, it depends a lot of where you are originating from. Cathay, Singapore Air, Northwest, etc are all good choices. <BR> <BR>As for hotels, Ubud is wonderful but I recommend staying just north of Ubud in the Kedewaton/Sayan area for views of the river and to get out of the touristy "downtown" of Ubud. Depending on your price range, there are places for as little as $30 and up. If you would like some suggestions please feel free to send me an e-mail. <BR> <BR>I'm not a travel agent and don't own a hotel, but I do live in Ubud and can help you with some plans.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 01:59 AM
Lisa

Hey Debbie - You didn't say where you are travelling from??? I live on Saipan in the Pacific and travel to Bali on a regular basis. From here, we travel Continental Airlines (US Airline). <BR>There are a couple of ways to start off from the airport - I can tell you quite a bit if you e-mail me and tell me how much time you'll spend there, what your price range is, traveling alone or with someone, and what caliber of place you're looking for. Drop me a line and I'll try to help you out. Cheers!

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Debbie

<BR>Hi James,Made,and Lisa,Thanks for your replies. I'm going to be flying out of Los Angeles(LAX) with a friend.We are looking for beautiful <BR>scenery and a place that's quiet and relaxing.I want very nice acommodations but I want it to have that 'Bali' feel and not that touristy,American feel. We are looking for mid-range pricing.Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Made

Debbie: Since you're overseas you'll get a much better rate if you come directly to the hotels and negotiate on the spot, after you've inspected the rooms and facilities. The discounts would be very substantial. I can recommend several, including Ananda, Villa Sangingan, which are very moderate and in the more quiet traditional area outside of "downtown" Ubud. There are many other hotels but in higher price ranges and some are under new management so I can't vouch for them. <BR> <BR>If you need to ask more questions send me an e-mail directly. Look me up when you get to Bali and I can help you with your arrangements and give you some pointers on what to see and do and how to make transporation arrangements.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 04:57 AM
Elizabeth

Hi, Debbie - <BR> <BR>I just got back from a glorious 10-day honeymoon in Bali. We flew on Singapore Air, which was great. It's comparable to British Air. <BR> <BR>Because we were in Bali on our honeymoon, we stayed at one of the resorts in Nusa Dua for the first 7 days. If you want the true Bali culture, don't stay here, unless you want some beach time. We then stayed in Ubud for 3 days at the Bali Spirit Hotel. It is just south of Ubud, and they provide free shuttle service to the downtown Ubud area. It's only about 5 minutes away. The hotel is nice, and the service is great. If you want to stay in a nice room, try to get one of the suites, which are located beneath the lobby. Our first night was spent in the "Emerald" room, which are the cheapest rooms. We weren't too happy with it, especially after leaving a 5-star resort, but they switched us to the honeymoon suite after complaining. Because it is low season, the chances of you getting a free upgrade are pretty high. <BR> <BR>I hope this helps, and I hope you have as great a time in Bali as we did. It is truly a wonderful place!

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 09:16 AM
Dode Avila

Hi Debbie; The Spirit Hotel in Ubud is where we stayed, when we first arrived in Bali, around the 8th of October, this year. We were very pleased with it. We were very pleased with the Singapore Airlines, too. Have a wonderful trip. Dode [email protected]

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 03:59 AM
John

Living in Asia I would not say that BA compares to Singapore Airlines, Singapore Airlines is far superior. <BR> <BR>As for hotels in Bali I strongly recommend the Pansea which is on Jimbaran Beach, it is small yet in a great location and is very nice. <BR> <BR>John <BR>SuiteAsia.com travel community