Reload this Page >

MOVIE MOVIE "THE BEACH" WHERES THAT BEACH LOCATED

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 06:15 PM
susangrimsley

Hi, <BR>anyone out there know where "The Beach" was filmed and if so can I go there? Also I love to snorkel, but certain times of the year are not advisable, does anyone no when not to go? (jelly fish, merky water due to curents etc.) <BR>Thank you

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 09:04 PM
Meg

It was filmed at Maya Bay on Phi Phi Lei in Thailand. It think the best time of year to visit is November through January. You can visit, but there are no accommodations on the island. You can stay on nearby Phi Phi Don. Sawatdee ka!

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 09:36 PM
Andrea

Another thing to keep in mind is that the beach as filmed in the movie is not the same as the one you'll see when you visit. They cleared out a lot of the natural vegetation to clear the beach for the volleyball scene and planed non-native palm trees. <BR> <BR>With all of the controversy and publicity, it may not be the best location to visit - Thailand is blessed with numerous breathtakingly beautiful islands, and you might consider choosing another (I'd suspect that the prices getting there and while you're there are inflated due to the movie, too).

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 03:22 PM
susangrimsley

Andrea, <BR>You recommended other beaches, do you have the names of them and where they are located. Are they as beutiful as the one on Phi Phi Lei? <BR>Thanks

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 03:41 PM
susangrimsley

Hi -Meg or Andrea <BR>Where would I be able to stay and reach Phi Phi Lei to see Maya Bay. Would it be Phuket then to Phi Phi Don, or can I take day trip straight from Phuket. <BR>Thanks a million <BR>I'll take any other beach suggestions too.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 02:24 PM
Meg

I am almost positive that day trips are available from Phuket. Getting there from Phi Phi Don is not a problem at all. Just remember the water in the area is rough in the off season (May to October) and only very careless operators leave from Phuket or Krabi to venture out to the other islands. Other islands that interest me in the area include Koh Lanta and the Similian islands. Koh Samed is a beautiful Thai island in north eastern Gulf of Thailand that we visited a few months ago and loved. Koh Tao is becoming quite popular with divers who have fled the crowds on Samui.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 07:02 PM
Marie

My husband and I took an excursion from Phuket to Phi Phi Island where "the Beach" was filmed, although we didn't know that then. The excursion included snorkeling in the bay, but there were many boats and visitors doing the same. We enjoyed the trip and felt it was well worth it (as it included 2 other island stops!). Check out some of the excursion companies if you are interested. The waters are pretty rough though.