Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Mosquitos at River Kwai? Can I get DEET repellant in Bangkok?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:35 AM
royboy

What is the mosquito situation at the River Kwai in December? Can I get mosquito repellant with DEET in Bangkok? Any other tips or comments about a day trip to the River Kwai would be greatly appreciated.<BR><BR>Royboy

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 11:29 AM
John

Was in Bangkok last year in Feb. and took a day trip out of my hotel to the river Kwai. Although it was hot and sticky I don't remember any mosquitos. I'm sure u can get repllant in Bangkok but to be sure bring some along. Don't forget your shots!!!

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:59 PM
Maureen Murphy

Royboy,<BR>Go prepared! Bring it! $4.99 at WalMart for 100% Deet! If you don't open it, return it when you get back.<BR>We just returned from Asia and all the items for precaution we purchased "just in case" took a round trip to China and now is back on the WalMart shelves...never opened!

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:18 PM
Andrea

Hopefully someone with direct Bangkok buying experience will post, but in my experience, it's far, far better to bring it with you. We travel quite a bit in Southeast Asia (we live in China), and we always have a hard time finding mosquito repellant and sunblock (though it's easier to find sunblock). Other times, too, the packaging will only be in the language of the local country, so it can be difficult to determine which kind you're buying. <BR><BR>We always stock up on mosquito repellant and sunblock when we go to a Western country because it's hard to find here.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 06:02 PM
Hanuman

There are a lot of insect repellent on sale in Thailand and most drug store will have them. Local name for the insect repellent is "Kor Yor". They come in spray, liquid and wipe on napkins. <BR><BR>Highly adviseable to keep some repellent with you since 63 out of 75 provinces are flooded right now. Lots of mosquitos are breeding on the flood plains.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:10 PM
Kathie

While the most effective mosquito repellants conatin deet, DON'T get 100% deet. It is more likely to casue a rash or skin reaction and it will melt anything that is plastic. The optimal amount to deet in a repellant is 25-40%

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Kristina

Yes, you can get repellant with deet in Bangkok, any pharmacy will carry it. Look for something with at least 20% or more Deet. I agree with the poster above that 100% is too much.<BR>There is a brand sold there called "Jaico" that I like very much. It's made in the Netherlands and sold in a glass bottle with a roll-on applicator. It's pricy, but works very well.