When to travel to China?

Oct 3rd, 2002, 01:21 PM
AfGa

When to travel to China?

We have a last minute chance to go with Laurus Travel to China for three weeks. Which date would you chose out of these three?
October 16, 25 or November 3rd?
Can't we count on a decent weather?

Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:55 PM
Maureen Murphy

NOW.....
Before the dam is flooded...get there as soon as you can.
If heat bothers you, avoid the summer months. We just spent 22 days in china in September with China Focus tours. Can't recommended this tour company enough. $2495 for everything.....
Check their website and book now!!!! if you don't have disposable cash...you won't be sorry you select China Focus.
We had only two days where there were a few showers but it was warm in the 70s and 80s...pretty comfortable. Be prepared for the worst smog of your life...everywhere in china. We selected September to avoid crowds, furnace heat, and rain. But go now....you'll love it!!!

Oct 3rd, 2002, 04:26 PM
jay w.

If I had a choice, I'd try late October to beat the big crowds. All the places are full of tourists, local and overseas in early October. The fact the Chinese government lets every citizen have a week plus off during during the national day holiday, Oct. 1, makes it a lot worse. Imagine millions and millions of Chinese on the move at the same time. The airports and trains stations are jam packed, pretty like our Christmas holidays here.

I was in China last November. It's very pleasant although a too chilly. Hope the information helps.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 04:34 PM
jay w.

September, October and November are better months to travel in China because humidity is low and air is breezy.

Maureen, if people ask about weather, do what you can to help or go find something better to do. Do you get paid for touting China focus? I don't think we need an answer for that, don't we? Again stick to the topic.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:12 PM
Andrea

The national holiday is October 1 - 3. The holiday crowds will be long gone by October 16 (then you'll just have the REGULAR crowds!). The later you go, the higher the chances of cold weather, so of your choices, I'd pick October 16.

For weather averages by month, you can go to

http://www.weather.com/activities/travel/vacationplanner/?from=travfl

and type the city name into Option 2 (weather by destination), then when you're on the daily weather forecast, click on "Find the best time to visit" - that will give you the monthly averages.

Oct 4th, 2002, 04:06 AM
susan

Yes, Maureen. I see your messages all over the internet forums (there are some in Frommers also) relentlessly pushing a certain tour group. If CF has to hire someone like you to push their product, perhaps its not so great afterall. I am very suspicious. If they are not paying you, perhaps you should get some help for your obsessive behavior.

Oct 4th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Phil Pearce

October 16. Better chance of moderate weather. Have fun. Take $200 in One Dollar bills. Find a way to talk to some of the locals every where you go. Have fun.

Oct 4th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Patty

I agree with the above posts. Since you are going for 3 weeks, I would choose the 10/16 for temperate weather. This year, it's back to work on October 8th so you won't run into any holiday travelers (the official holiday is Oct 1-3, but everyone works the weekend prior to the holiday, then they take 2 'comp' days making the total time off a full week running Oct 1-7)

Oct 4th, 2002, 05:08 PM
AfGa

You helped me to decide. We will leave on October 16
Thank you