Mission Impossible--One night in Singapore

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, Am spending ten nights in Bali for honeymoon and just found out that our return trip travel arrangements have been altered--we now have from 3:30PM (landing at Changi Airport) to 12:00PM the following day (flying home) in Singapore. We appreciate how little time this is to take in any destination, not to mention Singapore, but would like to do our best. Are favoring staying at the Ritz, but don't plan on spending too much time at hotel as we would like to see as much of the town as possible in this very short period of time. Anyone with late afternoon/early evening sights to take in? Most romantic restaurant in Singapore to cap off honeymoon? Nightspots? Hoping to end the honeymoon with a memorable evening/night in Singapore--any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, Glennman
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:08 PM

Actually the main restaurant at the Ritz (The Summer Pavillion) is excellent and the bathtubs there are pretty romantic! You coiuld get one of their special bath packages. Singapore Air usually offers free city tours that give you a good feel for the city. You may want to try the famous bar at Raffles hotel for a Singapore Sling.
The open air food courts are unique and good and shooping in general on the main drags is pretty good, try the department stores.
Bon Voyage.
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:11 PM

You're right, it isn't much time. but you can make the most of it. I don't know what your interest are, so it's hard to recommend activities (Asian Cultural Museum? the zoo or Jurong Bird Park? Antique shopping? Designer clothing?), but I have a couple of favorite restautants to recommend.

Les Amis au Jardin, a lovely French restaurant located in the botanical gardens. Exquisite and expensive. Get to the gardens while it is still light, and at least walk through the famous orchid garden.

Doc Cheng's, a restaurant located in the historic Raffles Hotel. The food is wonderful fusion cuisine, the service is excellent, and the curtained booths are very romantic. There are a number of remarkable shops located in Raffles, so you could arrive early to browse. There is also a small museum there, which I always enjoy visiting.
Old May 26th, 2004, 04:13 AM

Les Amis and Doc Cheng's are both great suggestions. But my absolute favorite for a great Singapore evening is Indochine on the Waterfront. It's located behind the lovely old colonial building that houses the Asian Civ Museum. Be careful when booking (make sure you reserve for a table on the patio outside) because Indochine does have two other locations and you definitely want the one on the river. The Vietnamnese food is outstanding, but what will make the night really special is the view of the beautifully lit shophouses across the river, with a backdrop behind them of the modern skyscrapers of the financial district.
Start with a pre-dinner cocktail at the oh so chic Post Bar in the Fullerton Hotel (another great colonial building that has been restored) and then stroll across the footbridge to Indochine. After dinner take a stroll along the river and stop into Harry's Bar on Boat Quay for some jazz with your nightcap.
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:54 AM

I LOVE Indochine(and Singapore)!The Southeast Asian food, at Indochine, is delicious...especially the Laotian style sticky rice and mango. But, I go to the Indochine on Club Street because I like to go to all the home interior design shops in the area,plus the Hindu temple is right around the corner which I like to photograph. So, that location is great for lunch. I will be going back to Singapore in a few months and will definitely go to the one at the Asian Civilizations Museum. On my last trip there it was closed do to the Christmas holiday.Oh, the Chinese restaurant in the Chjimes complex across from Raffles is very good. I can't remember the name of it, but it's listed in the Fodor guide.It's reportedly the best Chinese restaurant in Singapore. Get a table, upstairs, facing the inner courtyard of the Chjimes complex...very relaxing and beautiful.Go for lunch and make a reservation. There's also a Vietnamese restaurant in the Chjmes complex that I've eaten at quite a bit. Great atmosphere. Bon Voyage!
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:08 PM

Here is another suggestion for a "unique to Singapore" lunch.....there is a lovely restaurant in the Botanical Gardens called Halia. (Different from Les Amis, which is more formal and only serves dinner.) Halia offers both Asian and Western dishes....I love the laksa. The walls are all made of glass and surrounded by jungle so it;s a bit like eating in the rain forest. There is a deck where you can dine al fresco, but if you are not used to Singapore humidity and heat, that might not be very comfortable during the day. You could arrive at the Garden around 10, stroll for a few relaxing hours, then have lunch. After lunch, grab a taxi to Chinatown to have a look around at one of Singapore's many multi-ethnic areas.
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:12 PM

Lindsey, unless Les Amis has changed, it does serve lunch. Indeed, I make lunch reservations there every trip to Singapore. At lunch time, you get the beautiful view of the gardens.

I certainly hope it continues to serve lunch, as I'll be there again in November.