Search

Missing comforts in India?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:35 PM
BKP
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing comforts in India?

My little family may have the opportunity to relocate overseas thanks to husband's line of work. There are many different options, but the one that keeps popping up as the most interesting and exciting is Hyderabad. As we are from the Seattle ares, this will literally be on the other side of the world. We travel often but haven't yet made it to that part of the globe. Before we actually move we will definitely go to see for ourselves, but we're just trying to do some very preliminary research. So, for those of you that have visited, or better yet stayed for an extended period of time, what "western" comforts did you miss the most? For me, one of the silly things that I miss when I travel is u.s. bottled diet coke. Of course, that would NEVER prevent me from traveling or relocating, just something I have a little sad sigh over now and again. Is there anything else you miss that I should know in advance? Thank you so much for your replies. I also want to thank you for your different posts and trip reports; they are all furthering our excitement for this new adventure.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:59 PM

FROM MY OBSERVATIONS ON AN 11 day trip...cleanlines, quiet, driving where ever i want to go with no hastle, american style food, beef of good quality, water from the tap, american style bathrooms outside of quality hotels....

this makes it sound terrible, but in fact there are wonderful things as well and an experience that you would not be able to duplicate in say england, france or seattle...
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:06 PM

One comfort which surpasses everything else is availability of servants...a cook to run your kitchen, another to work daily chores & a sweeper to mop your place. Welcome to India, you shall love it!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:02 PM

The only thing you'll miss that I can think off is probably is your friends,your fav coffeeshop/restaurant etc back home.Beyond that the creature comforts in India that you can experience could surpass your expectations.Like vp suggested....a personal valet..a chaffeur....a chef..a caretaker at home...a personal secretary, you name it!!
India is vibrant & happening.
Experience it and you'll love it.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:09 PM

Clean, breathable air.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:12 AM

infrastructure(but I'd do it anyway.)
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 09:52 AM
mdn

You will not get U.S. bottled Diet Coke, but you should get Indian bottled Diet Coke. Both Pepsi & Coke have big operations in India. Several western comforts can be elusive but nothing is unavailable if your budget is big enough. Also, if you only want Pellegrino water, Charmin ultra, L'Occitane washes, Danish blue cheese and walnut bread, you will have problems. Also, good beef is not available though. Fish like salmon, tuna etc are not as popular in India either but you can get other types of fish which are as good if not better tasting.
Hiring 3 domestic helpers will make life exponentially easier - a maid to clean, a cook and a driver or two. Some may also get a gardner, if you have a house vs. apartment. Domestic help is very cheap in India but ensure that they come recommended from trusted sources (people in your husband's company etc.). Be very careful in choosing these people- petty theft is not uncommon unless you get the right people. Pollution is bad and tap water isn't potable.
A lot will depend on where you live - uninterrupted electricity, hot water, western bathrooms aren't difficult to find unless you live in old quarters.
While some of the things you're used to may not be easily accessible, you will encounter several other things which you may be drawn to. If you keep an open mind, you'll grow accustomed to the din & trials of life in India.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:06 AM
BKP
Original Poster

You guys are great. So far it seems like there is nothing I couldn't live without. My husband pointed out that a lot of the things I'll miss will be American junk food and that will probably be a good thing. I have 2 questions. How available are dairy products? I have a young son that still needs a lot of milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. It doesn't have to be yoplait and tillamook, it just has to to be available! My 2nd q is regarding the water. So, tap water isn't potable. Can you buy faucet attached filters that will make it so or do you just boil water or use bottles? I am so glad that your responses haven't quelched our desire! I'd love to hear any more advice you have, this is all wonderful. Thanks.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:17 AM

From my recent travel to India, it looks like you can buy most of the American "junk" food, etc. there too. Chips, diet sodas (they're marketed as "Light", as the term diet sounds too severe to Indians I guess). There are big western style shopping malls where you can buy Lancome, Guess, Gucci, almost anything that you can get out here.

Domestic help is a big plus. My husband and I were in Hyderabad for 5 days in Nov with him on business. We got a personal chef, a house cleaner, a chauffer.

I can highly recommend our driver who also owns his car. I'll dig up his contact info if you're interested.

Traffic in Hyderabad is horrendous, seemed worse than Delhi, because there's no mass transit system like the metro (subway). The upper middle class is too snob to take the bus, and too many people are chauffeured in cars. Pollution is really bad in some parts.

Our driver, Mahesh, was an excellent driver. With traffic like a jumbo mess, he was able to maneuver through it all smoothly. No hard stopping and jerking. He was a former chauffeur for big generals in the Indian Air Force. And he's very courteous, patient and pleasant to be with. Let me know if you need his contact info.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 12:17 PM

It won't be anything like the US. India can be challenging for a tourist (I've been there 5 times) but living there will be a HUGE adjustment. Also how old is your son? Have you considered how hot India gets in the summer and how electricity cuts off several times per day? The comforts of home will be sorely missed I can assure you. It will depend on how well you can adapt but I'd be especially concerned about a young child there who has no natural immunities to normal flora. You say you will give it a test run first. Thats a good idea. Just be sure to consider the weather if you go during cooler months.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 12:39 PM

what about your son's education? daycare, school, etc? it'd be one of the most important things i would look into.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:06 PM

BKP, I cannot comment really on Hyderabad at all, my knowledge of India is way back when and limited.

However, if you are from Seattle and being relocated by your company I think you will find more things being 'taken care of' than you know.

Question: Has your husband's company already relocated others there? If so then it would be quite normal and acceptable for them to put you in direct touch with other people/families from the company who are on the spot and can tell you a great deal.
If your husband's company has relocated people to Hyderabad before then they no doubt have a huge file of information, from that you will learn about schools etc.

There will also without doubt be some local expatriate group with information.

I have no idea if there is a US Consul in Hyderabad but if there is they too 'should' have some welcome file of information about shops, schools etc which they should be able to send to you.

It is a superb opportunity and you might find it a bigger worry re-adjusting to Seattle life after you return ! If you can look forward to living in India for some years it will be a treat for the whole family and experiences you will never forget.

Imagaine the joy too if you can tempt friends and family to come out and visit you, great fun!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:22 PM

There seems to be quite an American expatriate community in Hyderabad, doing a quick search there was an article about Thanksgiving parties etc and they did not seem to be lacking in food ! There seems to be a lot of IT people there.
Also there is an International School that is affilaited through the University of Nebraksa and they do US grades, so no worries there.
Lucky you!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 04:12 PM

JamesA: Are you serious about readjusting to Seattle? India may be fascinating in some ways but someone who has grown up here will find it very, very difficult to live there for any length of time, let alone want to stay there vs. coming back home to the USA. As my wife is Indian and we have been married now 28 yrs. I can tell you we have seen scores of Indians who have some here to live and rarely do you see any of them deciding to return to live in India. Life is much harder there. So if they, who have been reared there don't want to return how likely will it be for a person from Seattle to find readjusting to life back in the states a challenge? The OP will adjust to a Seattle return like a duck to water. No offense but that has to be the most outlandish statement about India I have ever heard. If you like it that much perhaps you are a reincarnated Rajah. However to the OP don't expect anything like that at all. This won't be easy. JM2C.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 07:58 PM

I've lived in Bangalore for most of this year, and agree that most all western things you want you can find in India. The diet coke is pricey (by Indian standards) but available.

I'm not sure having a battalion of servants is all it's cracked up to be, but definitely do get references or something if you do hire them.

Dairy products: milk (usually sold in thick plastic bags) and curd (like yogurt) are easily available. Indian cheese, paneer, which goes in lots of dishes, is also easy to get ahold of.

Water: You'll probably be able to use the water from the tap for everything but drinking. For that there's bottled water. You'll have some company deliver the bottles. The water isn't expensive.

And for what it's worth, I've had some of the best steaks in B'lore. Your mileage may vary.

What I do miss the most (even though I came supplied) are western TV shows and books. Bring a bunch of those.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 09:55 PM

Regarding your question of dairy products,fresh plain yoghurt like Nestle'& Amul is available in most supermarkets along with various local brands.Very safe not to worry.A variety of cheese indian and imported brands too are available.
Cheddar,Mozzarella,Ricotta etc can be seen in most supermarket shelves.
Yoghurt: Pascuals ( Spain ) entered the Indian market three years ago and enjoys a monopoly. The two local brands - Nestle & Viva - are on the racks.

Cheese is dominated by local brands - Amul & Le Bon. Happy Cow ( Austria ), Laughing Cow (France) and Kraft ( Australia ) are the prominent imported brands selling in India.

As regarding water, almost all major national and international brands are available. Parle's Bisleri that virtually monopolised the bottled water market is now vying with Nestle, Coca Cola, PepsiCo,UB and Britannia.There are close to 200 bottled water brands in India. Nearly 80 per cent of these are local brands.
Normally most urban Indian households dont consume direct tap water & have ionizer water filters ( faucet attachable) such as Aquaguard or Pentapure & so on.

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:17 PM

I too think that expats face some difficulty readjusting to their home when (and if) they return following an overseas posting. I know that were we to relocate to the US now, we would have a very hard time. I have a hard time spending more than a couple of weeks there....there are a lot of things that I had never noticed until I no longer lived there that drive me nuts!

If you are relocated by your company and provided with a great home with staff and have a strong community of other expats, life is good, very good. Of course you will still have hardships and adjustments, but you will also be well supported.

When you return home, you will not have the same kind of support, and if you have been living outside of the US for any length of time, there will be readjustment...no doubt.

I know for a fact that there are things we experience during some extended stays in the US that mystify us or drive us nuts...and that never happened before we didn't live there. After over 11 years out of the country, moving back to the US would be very, very difficult for us I'm sure, and we aren't even living abroad on an expat package and we are in Japan, a pretty nice place. If I had to give up staff, paid international school tuition, paid home leave, subsidised housing...wow, my adjustment would be impossible then...
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:32 PM
BKP
Original Poster

Such thoughtful and interesting comments! My husband's company has relocated people there before so I believe there will be lots of things taken care of before I even have a chance to worry about them! As for my son, he is 18 months old right now and fully immunized according to American pediatricians. I know that won't protect him from stomache bugs and the like but I believe it's the best we can do. I also think that his standard education won't be an issue for a few more years. Besides, what could be more educational than living overseas! As to the readjusting discussion, I agree with both sides. Our last major trip was to Paris. Once we were home I was constantly frustrated by the lack of outdoor cafe dining and of course, the pastries! However, it's not like riding the metro caused me to forget how to drive my car so . . . I guess life is full of constant adjustments! You have all been so kind, I really appreciate all of your comments.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 02:29 AM

Best of luck. You will find India much different from Paris.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 04:23 AM

You may also find when you return that he's received a superior education in India than he would have at home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -