Medical/supplemental insurance for India

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really should know better considering how many trips we've taken and how many times we've gotten trip insurance. But, lately, we haven't been purchasing it...mostly because we just haven't been able to justify the expense.

But given that India is coming up -- and how much greater the risk for getting ill there is -- I am reconsidering the option this time.

The biggest issue is the cost: it's almost 2x what we normally pay for a trip of this length to anywhere else in the region. I'm guessing the premiums are higher for India because it's universally known that the chances for illness run quite a bit higher there than most places?

Anyway, I started looking at what my insurance covers already and can't tell if it's good or not: foreign claims are obviously considered out-of-network and they will cover up to 80% of eligible expenses (with a $1300 deductible) -- and ER visits are considered 'eligible' so long as you're not admitted for in-patient services...then the ER visit is considered an inpatient benefit and not covered.

I guess the question is: even if an external travel policy is purchased, you're still paying out of pocket upfront, right? So does it just come down to who covers more? Out of pocket costs, I'm assuming are still stiff no matter which path one pursues.

Thanks in advance for the advice. I'm hoping that folks with a ton of experience in this area (Kathie, are you there?) can chime in. I'm not anticipating illness, but I feel I'd be naive not to prepare for it on this particular trip.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 01:25 PM

I would look at medical evac insurance if you aren't already covered, because you want to be airlifted elsewhere (like Bumrungrad in Bangkok) if something catastrophic occurs. The cheapest and best way to go is with Divers Alert Network (DAN) - it is included in your membership (I think a family membership is $100 per year). Hope this helps.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 01:32 PM

Do talk with someone at your insurance company. I have a pretty standard Blue Cross/Blue Shield policy that restricts payment to in-network providers. But it still covers urgent care anywhere in the world - and pays the full amount, no deductible, no copays.

So your medical coverage may well be better than you think.

I do think it is always worthwhile to carry med evac - I use DAN membership for mine. It covers the two of us at the family rate of $55 per year.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

I did talk to someone -- but perhaps she didn't completely understand what I was asking. But, this begs another question: is a distinction made in India (like the US) between an Urgent Care center and an ER?
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Also: isn't healthcare in India (places like Delhi or Mumbai) on par with Western medical care? ...or at least on par with a place like Bumrungrad? I had assumed so...
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 02:47 PM

Some places are, some are not. I would do a bit of research ahead of time. You want to know where you would go rather than trying to research it when one of you is ill.

Urgent care doesn't necessarily mean ER. When Cheryl got sick, I called Bumrungrad and got her an urgent appointment. She was not seen in the ER. Her insurance covered the whole thing, including labs and medications.

I'd look at your policy and I'd call the insurance company back. Good luck!
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 08:57 PM

Not an expert, but just sharing my knowledge.

If you get sick in any large Indian city, you will get pretty good medical care as the doctors are well educated and experienced. Private hospitals are pretty good. By American standards the doctor fee, the hospital stay as well as variety of tests are much, much lower priced than the US.

If you do get sick there, most often a doctor can come to your hotel to see you and guide you.

You should check with your current insurance agency that if you do get sick there and you pay in the Indian rupees, can you be reimbursed in the US.

Of course, you should also check about medical evacuation so that in case you are not happy with the doctors and want to leave for another country or come back home, you can do that without hesitation and too much trouble.

Do share with us whatever you find as many other travelers will face the same dilemma.

While on the subject, make sure you take all sorts of preventive medicines in a little kit. Especially something like Emmodium as most often travelers to India get horrible upset stomachs. Remember to pack hand sanitizers too.

Good Luck and hope you find some more helpful answers from other experienced travelers.

Digressing---a new prime minister was elected in India in May and he is now promoting a "Clean India" campaign asking all citizens and all businesses to take charge and clean up. The country seems to be very enthusiastic at the moment and it seems in the next five years we all should see a much cleaner India. That will give all of us more confidence to travel there and not worry about getting sick.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
US citizens have been known to travel to India for medical care because it's so much cheaper.... E.g. For heart surgery. But you do need to be in the right hospital!

Regardless of your medical insurance you definitely want evacuation insurance. I also want repatriation, which DAN does not cover (gets you to the nearest medical facility, but not home). I buy mine through Seven Corners.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 11:13 PM

Our HMO will reimburse us for some costs. We only carry the DAN evac policy.

Your driver/ facilitator can certainly suggest appropriate expat hospitals. Google American accredited hospitals in India.

If I got sick I would get out of there quick.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 11:17 PM

Don't forget prevention is the best cure-- no ice anyplace... Bottled water... Only fresh cooked meats... I would not eat seafood... No sushi... NO BUFFETS--NONE... Limit or no fruits...must peel in front of you... NO STREET FOODS....eating is a low priority while traveling in India... I would skip lassies or anything with milk or ice added to it...
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 11:50 PM

Besides no buffets, refuse any food that is not HOT - warm is a danger sign. I've drunk lassi with no ill effect, but take a good look at the premises. Note that you are no safer in a high end hotel - the one time I got sick on my last visit was in the most expensive hotel of the trip.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 06:45 AM

We MedJet - there's a clause that states one has to be hospitalized to be eligible to be med-evacked.
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 07:28 AM

We ALWAYS get travelers insurance through insuremytrip.com when going to Africa or Asia and parts of Latin America. Insuremytrip is an online broker that allows you to compare plans. It's truly worth a few hundred dollars for peace of mind. Sadly we had to use it for a death in the family and also for a an injury that required us to cancel a trip. We didn't find insurance India to be any more expensive than the other places we go. We always get $1m plus per person for evac to hospital of choice. We also sometimes get 'cancel for work reasons.' We don't usually include airline costs because we use miles so often on vacation...that keeps price down.

If you do need a hospital in India with an illness/injury that doesn't require evacuation, your agent will get you to the right place. My friend injured her knee in Chennai, was hospitalized and got excellent care.

We normally eat street food and don't get sick. But for India we were more careful and took the miracle antibiotic Rifaximin as a preventative because my travel doc told me she had gotten extremely ill in India. Rifaximin is mild and doesn't get absorbed or stay in your system, but prevents traveler's diarrhea. We also avoided meat and fish - that probably helped as well. The first part of my trip report is about Rifaximin:

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...agra-delhi.cfm
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 07:47 AM

If you decide against the Rifaximin as a preventative, Imodium, as mentioned above, is NOT a preventative. That stops you up, and is usually prescribed after you've been sick for several days. Americans have used 1-2 Pepto Bismol tablets a day safely as a preventative. (For whatever reason, PB is not available in Europe.) I know ex-Peace Corps volunteers who were part of the initial study in Guatemala. If you choose this route, remember that your tongue might turn black!
Old Oct 5th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

No buffets? Wow, that would be a real bummer when it comes to the Oberoi's breakfasts. Really?
Old Oct 5th, 2014, 06:55 PM

I rarely eat at buffets, but when I do I am very discriminating. It is true that buffet food in general is more risky as it may be held at an unsafe temperature for prolonged periods. Only you can decide if you want to eat the Oberoi buffet breakfast. My memory of the breakfast in Kolkata was that the foods like eggs were made to order, just breads and fruits and such at the buffet.
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 05:22 AM

Well, maybe stretch it there
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 05:55 AM

I would regard anything non-vegetarian on a buffet with deep suspicion, regardless of the price/status of the hotel.
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 06:05 AM

We did not have any issues with Oberoi breakfasts and I also recall eating at the buffet at the Radisson near the Delhi airport with no ill effects. You can always order a la carte
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 08:30 AM

We survived the Oberoi buffet. I believe Purell was one of the items.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -