March in SA Trip help

Search

March in SA Trip help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
March in SA Trip help

Hello, we are going to Thailand in March of this year and I am in the beginning of the planning nightmare. We are arriving on the 4th at 0830 and are leaving on the 18th at 1830 in BKK. We know we want to spend a couple of days in BKK, Seim Reap, Chaing Mai and a beach. I was thinking of trying to do something like get to BKK, leave right away see the others places, Seim Reap, Chang Mai, etc then go to the beach and end up in BKK. I know people say to slow down but we have found that we like to stay busy and be on the move a lot. We are very interested in the culture and history and seeing and doing as opposed to "relaxing" at the same place per say. I also know that we might get tired of seeing the temples so I was going to add activities such as the elephants, cooking class, kayaking, snorkeling, etc. I am really not sure on an itinerary because I am honestly so confused as what to do. I know that my travel partner wants to see as much as he can, and I think he would like to go to Laos also. Budget is not really a problem; we do like to be comfortable in our hotels as we in-between our trips we are in the field with tents and community showers, so private showers, nice hotels (although I love smaller ones) and really good food are important. We are also going to get at least a driver, and maybe a guide. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 07:28 AM

Not counting your travel days in and out of Bangkok, you have 13 days on the ground. With that amount of time, choose not more than 3 places. There is more than enough to keep you busy in al of those places.

Have you traveled before in SE Asia? Whre are you from? How much jetlag will you have when you arrive? This is a very hot and humid part of the world, and that will slow you down (as will the jet lag). But even without jetlag, this is a part of the world where you need to slow down in order to experience the place.

Since you don't want to spend time just relaxing, perhaps you want to cut the beach. The beach will also be the least culturally interesting of the stops.

You may want a guide in Siem Reap for the temples but you will certainly need a driver. Do some resaerch ahead of time on the temples. I always recommend Dawn Rooney's book, Angkor. There are some other things you can do in Siem Reap, like visit Tonele Sap, visit schools to donate supplies or other things (see for example, www.theplf.org) Note that there are dozens of accessible temples, and it takes three days just to see the major temples. I spent a week and didn't see all of the temples. Do visit some of the so-called minor temples where you may be the only visitor.

You might want a guide one day in Bangkok, but really it's a place you can do totally on your own taking public transport (the water taxi, the Skytrain and judicious use of taxis).

Chaing Mai is a huge city, quite spread out, and has not public transportation system. You'll need a driver for most things. You can access Elephant camps from here, and there are number of good cooking classes. If you want a more rural experience, opt for the Golden Triangle instead. The Anantara at the Golden Triangle is a gorgeous place, and has superb cooking classes and a division of the Elephant Conservation Center right on the grounds. It's about an hour's drive from Chiang Rai.

Bangkok has an endless supply of things to do, great food to sample, amazing places to see. Musts include The Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha complex, Wat Po, a number of other wats depending on your interest, the Jim Thompson House, and perhaps such places as the Suan Pakkard Palace, the Prasart Museum the teak Palace.

You really don't have time to do more (like Laos). Save it for the next trip.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 07:34 AM

don't know from where you will be arriving but assume it is in the "west"...one problem to be aware of is how tired you will be upon arrival and for a day or two afterwards...for this reason some like to go directly to a beach location: samui, hua hin, phuket, etc...chill out for say 3 days and then hit the trail....i personally prefer to arrive in bkk and lay low at a comfortable hotel with a nice pool for about 2-3 days and then start the grind....the marriott resort and spa in bkk has the best pool area...others are the royal orchid sheraton (i personally dislike the hotel, but the pool is fantastic), the majestic grande, the new hilton and many more...the nei lert is also a possibility...

most of us feel that 4 days is sort of a minimum for angkok wat area and that 3-5 days in luang prabang, laos is nice as well...

i continue to dislike chiang mai but many others fell it is #1...

there is tons to do in bkk along...i spent 18 days there on my last trip and i had been there 9 times previously...much has been written about bkk so you will find that all here on fodors...

don't hesitate make res now, especially for drivers and hotels...a good hotel site is:

www.asiarooms.com
www.huahin.20m.com
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 04:09 PM

If you decide to do all 4 locations, I suggest that you fly to either CM or SR on the day you arrive in BKK. This will save you a trip to the airport. There are many flights to CM, so you could easily pick one 2 1/2-3 hours after arrival and be in CM by 1300 hours. You'll have to check with Bangkok Air to see if there's a fit to go to SR.

Some say the jet lag the first few days will slow you down. This has never been our experience. We're mid-fifties Americans, who just get up the next day and jump right in.

There's a direct CM-Phuket flight at about 1100 hours. Taking this will save a transfer in BKK.

If budget is not a problem, you should stay at either the Oriental or the Peninsula in BKK. Check the many posts on which is better. The websites RhkKmk cited can save on hotels.

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

We are coming out of the Middle East already so the flight is only about 5 hours, so we actually do have 15 days. We get to BKK at 0830 on the 4th and leave on the 18th at 1800. Jet lag is not a problem, I am sure we will be a little tired but that is normal. The beach I have to keep in for my mother.
I am having a hard time between Chaing Mai and Chaing Rai. I wanted to keep on the move some because I remember when we were in Egypt it we started saying- yup, another temple.
We are interested in trying to see as much "real" culture as possible- so maybe Chaing Mai?
I would like to keep in BKK, Chaing Mai/Rai, Seim Reap and Luang Prabang and the beach. I know there is not really culture at the beach- I was actually thinking of relaxing, kayaking, and snorkeling there. We are not as interested in night life, just good food. And pictures-- we are really into photography so pics are the most important. We have to keep the beach in for the mom- we are dragging her around the country and it is her relax time. And then we were thinking of having BKK at the end- after the beach so that we can send back anything we have bought along the way before heading back to the desert for another 4 months of work.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Looking at flight i am thinking:
Get to BKK on the 4th- take flight to LP, then go SR, then Chaing Mai or Rei then i guess Phkuet then BKK for a couple of days. Is Phuket a good place to go?
Sorry about the double post- out internet is odd here sometimes.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 06:49 PM

tarps, with that itinerary you will never have time to experience any of the places on your list.

I wouldn't especially consider Chiang Mai the place for "real" culture. It's a huge city, but without the attractions of Bangkok.

I'd suggest that you limit your stops to Bangkok, Luang Prabang, Siem Reap and a beach. That's still a LOT of moving around for the amount of time you'll be there. Remember you'll lose most of a day each time you change locations.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

Ok- have been looking all day.
So maybe:
4th- get in at 0830, can take 1400 flight from BKK to SR
5th--SR
6th- SR
7th-SR
8th- flight through BKK to CM
9th- CM
10th-CM
11-CM
12-Flight to Phuket, get ferry to Phi Phi
13th- Phi Phi
14th- Phi Phi
15th-Phi Phi
16th- Flight back to BKK
17th- BKK
18th- BKK, leave at 1800
I was thinking Chang Rei/ Chang Dao.
That way we can do day trips and still relax. To be honest i am not sure what is at LP, and if it is worth switching with CM?
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 06:00 AM

Read some of the recent trip reports on Luang Prabang, the old cultural center of Laos. It's really a magical place. If you want a glimpse of traditional culture, this is it. CM doesn't hold a candle to it.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 08:08 PM

Your itenary looks looks great!! I aggree with Kathie. Luang Prabang certainly is MAGICAL. So just make that switch and I think you have created a perfect introduction to SEA.
Just like with a good meal you're going to leave the table wanting more. I bet you will have to return.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

So this is what i am thinking:
4th get into BKK, flight to LP
then 8th fly LP to SR
then 12th SR to Phuket, get in at 105 so will be tight to get the 230 ferry to Phi Phi but we are going to try,
then 16th Phuket to BKK flight.
I can get all the tickets myself on the Bangkok website, is that the best way to go? I have been reading all the posts i can but am still confused about getting the tickes. Also having a hard time with a good hotel in LP. The most important thing is our own bathroom and really comfortable beds. We live in tents in the desert for 4 months at a time and while on RR food and some privacy become number one.
I dont want a big modern hotel though, it would seem like that was out of place in these countries.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:18 PM

With regard to your ferry connection, it is going to be very tight. In fact I think you are mistaken about a 2.30 ferry. I'm sure the last ferry every day leaves at 1.15 though that may have changed. Either way, on a short trip like yours, I would consider booking a speedboat. That will cost you around £125.00, a lot I know, but it takes under an hour and you can leave from Phuket much later. If you have to overnight in Phuket waiting for the ferry the next day that will really be a waste of a day.
Also for the best part of Phi Phi you really want to be staying at the north of the island. There are five good options, ranging from 5 star deluxe to not quite so fancy. But they are all very good hotels/resorts. It,s very quiet and peaceful at the north with the best beaches, and shore access snorkeling and the busier part at Tonsai is easilly reached by longtail if you want that.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:31 PM

I got the following information from Phi Phi Island Village 2 days ago.

Transfer Service (Land and Sea) Phuket – Phi Phi – Phuket
By Public Ferry (2.30 hrs.)
Departs Phuket daily at 8.30 a.m.and 01.30 p.m. (flight should be arriving before 12.15)
Departs Phi Phi twice daily at 9.00 a.m. and 2.45 p.m. (flight should be leaving after 13.30)
Price: 900 Baht (Adult) 800 Baht (Child 4-12 yrs.) per person/ one way
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

So how would we make the arrangements for a speedboat?
And which hotel is your favorite? I was looking at several and i am slightly overwhelmed. We are not exactly night people, but want to eat good food. We are also wanting to do some of the activities, snorkling, kayaking, exploring the islands a litte- but i also know my mom wants to go to the beach where she can have drinks delivered if she wants.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:14 AM

My favorite is Palm Beach, thats the holiday inn. If you decide to stay there, they will arrange for a car to meet you at Phuket airport, take you to the jetty (half hour or a little more) and your speedboat will be waiting for you.Thats how we do it every year.....worth every penny of the £125.00.
Photos and links on our website at
www.leightravelclub.com

I'm sure all the other hotels will offer a similar service.
Island Village is another lovely hotel nearby.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:48 AM

In LP, I highly recommend La Residence Phou Vao. On the edge of town, it has stunning views, a lovely infinity pool, beautiful bathrooms, and big, luxurious beds.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Oops - posted too soon.

Bangkok Air is really your only choice for flights to/from LP and SR. So yes, book with them.

Personally, with such a short time, I'd reconsider PhiPhi. A quiet area of Phuket would be easier to get to and you wouldn't eat up so much of your short time getting there. Leigh recomends the speedboat, but I've heard ghastly stories about it from others... uncomfortable, so loud that you have tinnitus for days, seasickness... for my vacation, I'd prefer something more pleasant.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:16 AM

Just had to reply to Kathies last post. Yes there is some merit to looking at a quiet part of Phuket but believe me there is NOWHERE on Phuket to match Phi Phi.
As for the speedboat transfer. Well my advice comes first hand and after many experiences of making that very trip. It's not at all uncomfortable, it's not excessively noisy, and we've never been seasick. The ferry can be rather full and its just soooo slow. We often meet up with fellow Phi Phi regulars and almost without exception they use speedboat transfers.
As a Scotsman I can assure you that if there was not a huge benefit then I would not consider paying around five times more than the standard ferry charge.
Sorry Kathie, but on this occassion I think you've got it wrong. We have used both means of transfer in the past but these days we don't even consider the ferry ON THE OUTWARD trip. Speedboat every time if your budget can stretch to it!
Phuket airport to your beachfront at Phi Phi.....2hours max! Where's the problem?
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:45 AM

Leigh, I respect your experience. I felt it was important to report a friend's experience with it as it was so different. More information always helps me decide what I'd like best.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Yes, you are right Kathie. More opinions help to make better judgements. We all have different expectations. What suits some doesn't suit others and it is best to get a range of experiences to assist decision making. After all, that is one of the aims of this forum?
Didn't mean to sound so grumpy with my post. I just have such a strong affection for that little island.
We keep trying different destinations in an effort to get it out of our system, but to date nowhere comes close.
Our youngest son has backpacked around the world twice, and he too has yet to find a topper for Phi Phi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -