Mandarin Phrase Cards Available?

Feb 21st, 2002, 01:59 PM
Lynfin

Mandarin Phrase Cards Available?

Hi all,

Do you know of any preprinted Mandarin phrase cards with common tourist phrases?(English on one side/Mandarin on the other?)
Can't seem to find any from the "usual suspects": Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Lonely Planet, etc.

Thanks!

Feb 21st, 2002, 02:49 PM
scigirl

I haven't seen any. Some phrase books have little tear-out cards - but neither of the books I had included them (Lonely Planet phrase book and another one - can't recall name, Barrons, maybe).

I made a card by typing out the words and pronounciation and then taping the paper onto an index card. I covered the whole surface with clear packing tape which made the cards very durable. On the reverse side I made a currency conversion chart.

Anyhow, I found that my attempts at pronouncing anything correctly in Mandarin were totally futile. At least my attempts were entertaining to the Chinese people I interacted with - I must have sounded horrible. Be sure to get a phrase book with printed Chinese characters so you can point to words if your attempt to speak Mandarin fails you.

Anneke

Feb 21st, 2002, 05:34 PM
Connie

They do exist--I have seen them. Thought your search wouldn't seem futile if you knew. Sorry I don't know where to get them.

Feb 21st, 2002, 08:02 PM
Connie

I went to a web site I got a lot of info from before I went on my trip to China. This is a group for people going on an adoption trip but has lots of good general info.

They have the cards I had seen. They are approx. 2x3 hooked together on a chain.

The web site is
www.chinaconnectiononline.com/
vocabcd.htm

Mar 4th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Lynfin

Thanks for the help. The China Connection folks responded almost immediately to my e-mail request. However, with a trip rapidly approaching, I made a set myself by
translating (and double-checking by translating the translations back to English!) with the Babelfish software on the Altavista site.