Mandarin Chiang Mai

Search

Mandarin Chiang Mai

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mandarin Chiang Mai

Friends have recently returned from this hotel, and absolutely bashed it.
Now, I find it difficult to believe that it could be an absolute waste, but I thought I would throw the question out to the more seasoned fodorites for their experience.
I have done a search though little has shown up .
Anyone have any experiences/photos to share?
We have booked a thai villa, which was what our friends took largest issue with.
ny insight would be appreciated!

Many thanks!
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 01:27 PM

There are reviews on www.tripadvisor.com and there are reviews and comments on the Luxury Hotel board at www.flyertalk.com. Most people like it.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks KimJapan!

Checking those sites out now.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 03:10 PM

Sneep, I can't add anything except that when it opened the hype was to bring 'nature' and natural surrounds to guest in sheer luxury, but people complained about insects in the 'natural' enviroment!

I could never ever afford the ( whatever it is now ?) USD 700+ for a room, but I really do wonder exactly what they could possibly provide for such an amount, especaily in Thailand.
They can provide an amazing room with the ultimate in comfort and top service but I just wonder how the price tag can really be justified.

I can appreciate that when such an amount is being paid out guests have the right to expect the tops, I just wonder though what possibly they can provide for such a price tag.

You mentioned that you did not want it to be a waste, so I think it is fair to say that you can ofind some pretty amazing accommodation in and around chiang mai and enjoy fantastic accommodation for half that price or less.
Chiang Mai has had a surge in great places opening up, Chiang mai is a place where you get out and about to see the sights, not so much for staying inside your hotel or resort, there are some superb places right up to very 'select' place with amazing level of comfort, but way way down from the Mandarin price tag!
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 03:13 PM

before anyone jumps on me you can also get excellent accommodation for under USD 100! But if you want a top place there are plenty and not only will you save but perhaps more important you won't be 'wasting' money for no reason at all.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

JamesA, I cannot thank you enough for such a clear and succinct post, cannot say I can argue with even a single sentiment!
We are revisiting our initial idea.
Many thanks!
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 08:42 PM

sneep - first, I'm biased as my hsb works for the 4 Seasons - but my take on the Mandarin from many people has been that it was a bit "Disneyland". JamesA and others who will tell you there are great options in Chiang Mai are absolutely right. Most fodorites stay in town. We stayed at the 4 Seasons Chiang Mai last year and found it quite magical (and I wouldn't say that about all their hotels). The setting is really very special, they brought in a landscape designer who was part stage designer so the main buildings sit atop an oval bowl, falling away to rice fields (the restaurants and pool and some villas have amazing views), then going back up towards the horizon in purple mountains. At night there are lanterns everywhere and it feels like a fairyland. And if the Mandarin is 700, the 4S prices are going to seem much better, even for the best mountain view rooms. And they've got the insects under control -- I'm hyper allergic to mosquito bites and had no issues at all.
Some don't like being outside of town, but the hotel runs shuttles in and out of Chiang Mai and we found that as half the time we were doing day trips into the hills the two days we went into CM worked out fine with the shuttles. We also met an asian art expert, which led to us bringing home a really beautiful piece -- wouldn't have known how to do that without meeting him in the shuttle back one night.
Hope that helps.