Manathai Village - Chiang Mai

Jul 19th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Manathai Village - Chiang Mai

Hi,

I'm currently organising my honeymoon for Jan 07 and will be staying in Chiang Mai for 7 nights. I am looking for the 'boutique' experience, romantic type thing obviously, but in close proximity to city stuff like Night Bazaar. The budget is 3500-4000tbht max per night.

The Yaan Come Village looks great and I would love to be able to go there but it is probably too far over the budget. I have been looking at the Manathai Village but have been unable to come up with huge amounts of information because of its relative newness.

Is there anyone who has stayed at the Manathai and can say what the experiance was like, comfort levels, space and all that. My fiance has seen a picture of a rather rustic bath and was concerned by this, wanting more in the lines of a jacuzzi style situation.

Any general help, information, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Jul 19th, 2006, 10:43 PM

I haven't stayed there but I have read posts about this place on tripadvisor Chiang Mai forum so you may want to do a search there too.
Jul 19th, 2006, 11:01 PM

Here's a late May review

http://www.res24.com/review/posts.ht...=beachsiam.com

The location is not as good as the Yaang Come. I have not seen but have seen the manathai Phuket which was excellent and the thing I notcied in particular was the excellent staff, well trained, same owner ( very wealthy ) and if anything like the Phuket one they pay attention to detail.
Jul 19th, 2006, 11:04 PM

For that budget, you're not going to get a jacuzzi in the room, which are quite rare in Chiang Mai at any rate. The Yaan Come Village starts at 3200 a night at Precision Reservations, so it might be within your budget.

I just stayed at the Tri Yan Na Ros on my last trip a week or so ago. It was very nice, but I think the rooms might be too small for a 7 night stay.
Jul 20th, 2006, 02:24 PM

You might want to consider the higher priced Yaan Come Village for part of your stay and then for a change spend a few days in the mountains north of the city. A place that has received good reviews is the small Baan Rai Lanna, about 45 minutes north. Here you can arrange for tours to a elephant camp, visit local tribes/villages, go hiking and biking or just relax by the pool, have a great massage and savor their fine food. Rates are reasonable at 2700 baht and they will pick you up at a city hotel.
http://www.baanrailanna.com/

Of course there are other nice places away from the city such as Baan Deva Montra, Belle Villa Lanna Mantra , Jirung Health Resort  as examples.
Jul 20th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys.

I know what you mean about the jacuzzi Michael and I agree with you. Only problem is my fiance was thinking this direction and was a bit disappointed to be presented with this http://www.asiatravel.com/thailand/p...ai/accomm.html , which is supported by the review James supplied which says 'the only drawback is the rather old bathtub which has seen better days.'

The prices do start at about 3200 for the YCV yeah, but when you look at high season when we will be there in Jan, atsiam.com is listing 4500 for the Superior and 5500 for the deluxe. As you say, 7 nights is a while and I was thinking we might need the deluxe, which is miles over our budget. Would the superior be enough for us tho? Perhaps someone who's been there...

We wanted to stay near the city Scotters to give us the flexability of eating and activities and stuff, not stuck at a resort doing their stuff and paying top dollar.

Thanks for the tip on the tripadvisor forum Bella, I've been on there but not the forum, I'll check it out.

Thanks.
Jul 20th, 2006, 03:41 PM

At YCV, the superior room is only slightly smaller and does not have a bathtub but only a shower. It is certainly large enough for 2 people for week. But, if your fiance is looking for jacuzzi, then you don't get one at YCV unless you book the suite room, and that's expensive. We were upgraded to the suite room for one night when we returned there after 2 nights at elephant camp, and it was lovely.
Jul 20th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, choosing the suite was never going to be an option. I was thinking the deluxe, which has a'king bath', bit of a compromise.

Could you give a bit more info/opinion on what you thought of the superior room at the YCV? Nice enough for honeymoon?

Thanks.
Jul 20th, 2006, 05:20 PM

There is really little difference in the rooms themselves. The size difference is minimal. The lack of a tub in the superior may make a difference to you. Some rooms face into the property, and some face out. I would request a room that faces in, as the ones that face out look out into the side of another building or a building site.

The beds are comfy. TV gets some international channels if you are into TV. Minibar is adequately stocked. There are no drawers for clothes, but there a wardrobe where you can hang things.

I think that if you are ok with no bathtub, then a superior room is perfectly nice enough. Granted, we were not on our honeymoon, but we spent very little time in our room outside of sleeping. We spent a great deal of time hanging out by the pool, in the restaurant or in the lobby area.

The hotel itself is boutique style, and the staff is very, very nice. The manager went out of her way to make sure we were happy and was very helpful in recommending things for us to do.

It also might be well worth your while to splurge for a few nights then change location a bit for a different experience. Close to town is Joy's House, which is unique in many ways...I don't know your style, but it's worth a look at least www.joyshouse.net Close to town is Baan Sing Kham which looks nice in pictures but I haven't seen it in person. A bit farther, Baan Rai Lanna is an option, or a bit farther away and rustic Chiang Dao Nest. Even more different, 2 nights at the Elephant Conservation Center www.chiangthai.com - that would cost you 10,000 baht for 3 days/2 nights with meals and elephant activity included. Certainly memorable.

Jul 20th, 2006, 06:01 PM

I think definitely look at this place.
http://www.baansingkham.com/ It seems lovely and is well within your budget.
Jul 20th, 2006, 06:27 PM

I stayed in the Yaang Come this past January, and frankly, other than its location, nice pool, nice little open-air restaurant, I could take it or leave it-the rooms were just okay-mine was a little too dark for me-reminded me of a La Quinta motel room, if you know what I mean-which is perfectly fine, just nothing very elegant-the walls, and some of the finishing in the room left something to be desired, IMO.

You might want to look right next door to the Yaang Come-a really pretty nice (4 star I believe, because of the amenities) hotel with many inexpensive superior rooms, friendly staff, a pool, acres of marble in the lobby, and a very nice indoor beauty spa, among other things-CHIANG MAI PLAZA HOTEL. They might even upgrade you to a suite, given that it is your honeymoon-you could always ask.

I know I went over there about midnight one night this past January (I have stayed there in years past also), as I was hungry and everything else was closed up, and their restaurant was still serving sandwiches and drinks at 1:00am-which I liked.
Jul 20th, 2006, 06:34 PM

The Chiang Mai Plaza is quite nice, but to me it felt like a generic high rise hotel. We visited some friends we met at elephant camp there, and it was not friendly like YCV.

Spygirl, I wonder if you had a room that faced the buildings to the outside? Our room was not dark, and we found the murals on the walls and the furnishings to be very nice. I had a tour of the place and saw quite a few rooms between the tour and the rooms of friends that we made there who were in 3 superior rooms on the ground floor near the pool. We were also there in January and got a very nice feeling from all of the staff, and the manager was exceptional.
Jul 20th, 2006, 06:34 PM

My mistake...we were there until December 31...not in January.
Jul 20th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Oh, I don't have any real negatives about it-my room was on the ground floor, which I didn't like, but I got such a good rate there (I think about $65.00US) that I really couldn't complain too much, could I? I know Opas over at BO asked me how much I was paying, I told him, and he was surprised about the inexpensive rate-he thought I'd be paying much more.

I think it's the same mural in all the rooms-which was just okay to me. I do know that when I asked about laundry they were outrageously expensive, but of course, since I know that area, I just took my laundry across the street to the shop there and they did a huge load for me, ironed everything, for $3.00. That's why I like that area so much-everything you need is right across the street.

And btw, they have a little hair salon in that little strip of shops/restaurants, just down from the laundry, two guys-did a FANTASTIC job on my hair, wash, blowdry, flat-iron-for $4.00.-really, the staff at YCV complimented me on how nice my hair looked, and I said, you can have it too-just go across the street-which surprised the two girls at the desk-they said they would, based on how my great they thought my hair looked!

As to Chiang Mai Plaza-it looks like a generic high-rise on the outside, but it's very Thai inside. Really good rates on rooms as well-I think it would work well for the OP.

Liam, if I were you, I'd go on www.tripadvisor.com and plug in Chiang Mai Plaza. Read the reviews and click on precision reservations to see about room rates. You might just like it-and it is in an ideal location.
Jul 20th, 2006, 07:59 PM

Chiang mai actualy now has such a large choice it can make deciding more difficult. Not wishing to confuse further but the Jirung health resort hads suites which are a bargain, bit of a way from town but great if you enjoy spa and want a suite at a good price.

http://www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com/...ry_hotels.html

You can find the nice places and honeymoon style.

Regarding the 'tub' at the Manathai, I don't know, but this is a new place, I doubt they would have bought in 'used' tubs, I wonder if it's the case as another place that put in wooden tubs like you see in the old western movies, that seems to be a trend, and the review talked about the 'old' tubs, the Phuket Manathai has been finsihed off with such design detail down to mathing 'threads' on cushions so it would be a big surprise that the Chiang mai one had not received the same stylish attention.
Jul 20th, 2006, 08:10 PM

James, what about the D2? It's pretty expensive, I think, but in a very central location-it gets mixed reviews, except as to their staff.
Jul 20th, 2006, 08:20 PM

As Mighty_Liam and his fiance are looking for a boutique type of place then I actually don't think Chiang Mai Plaza or D2 or Jirung Health resort are that style at all so maybe not for them, but for sake of others good to mention.

There such good choice in the Chiang Mai area.

Actually, Mighty_Lion, have you considered Baan Orapin??
Jul 21st, 2006, 12:56 AM
Original Poster

I'll try and answer all the points that have been raised, its always nice to have heaps of information

Thanks for the extra description of YCV rooms Kim, its good to have and will certainly influence our decision. We looked at the Baan Sing Kham but decided we wanted to be closer to the city than that, hence why we are looking at places like YCV and Manathai.

As James was saying, the bathtub in Manathai is more too do with the 'feel' they are going for rather than using old fittings - like your example with the wooden tubs. I was curious as to whether it was in the Jnr suite as well, or its actual condition too if anyone had been - ie how bad is it really?

As Kim has said, we are looking more for the boutique experience here in the first week of our HM, we will be doing the highrise thing in Bangkok. Not saying that some of these other hotels are not nice (some are very nice, and very $$$) but its not what we are looking for.

The Baan Orapin has been getting a lot of air time on a forums and I have looked at it but the pictures etc. to me seemed to suggest it was not quite as luxurious as YCV. For any other trip, yeah, we'd probably be happy with it, but for the HM I wanted to make it a bit more special.

I think at this stage it is looking like two choices. A Jnr Suite at the Manathai or Superior room at YCV.
Jul 21st, 2006, 02:32 AM

The best price I see for Manathai for January/peak season is 5700 baht tax and breakfast included. Have you found a better price?

If you are going to spend that much money, why don't you have a look at Rachamanka (spelling). They don't allow kids and it's right in the middle of the old part of the city. Might be lovely for a honeymoon.
Jul 21st, 2006, 03:00 AM

I spelled it wrong. www.rachamankha.com for information. Good rates on sawadee.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO