Search

Maldives or another destination

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2019, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maldives or another destination

Hello All,

we have our 10 year anniversary coming up and were considering Maldives as the destination

We are travelling from Canada but have family in Dubai where we will stay for 2 weeks .

So far this is the cost in Canadian Dollars for a 4 day trip to Fairmont Maldives

Ticket to Maldives : 4400 CAD

Seaplace to Fairmont : 1300 CAD

4 Night stay : 8000 CAD

Breakfast is included but Not Dinner : I’d say atleast $600 CAD for 4 nights for Lunch/dinner

GRAND TOTAL : $14300

We were just thinking if it is worth it for 4 nights or . we could do so much more for longer if we choose another destination.

Please let us know you experiences

Old Aug 15th, 2019, 11:04 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
My spouse has been going to the Maldives on a yearly basis for over 20 years. For him, it's all about the scuba diving. He loves it.

His two week trips from the US to Bandos cost considerably less than your four day trip (one person though), inclusive of lodging, full board and three dives a day, plus flights to/from the US and a boat to/from the resort.

Prices in the Maldives run the gamut, depending on resort. Bandos is five star. I see that the Fairmont is also five star.

You might do a comparison between the Fairmont and other resorts in the Maldives to get a better idea of prices.

Would I spend $14,300 CAD for four nights in the Maldives? Heck no, but I'm not you.

Would I pay $2,000 CAD per night for accommodation and breakfast anywhere? No way, but again, I'm not you.

Why so much for the flights? I see flights from Dubai to Male on random dates from USD $469-796.

Last edited by Melnq8; Aug 15th, 2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

flights are from canada .
and we ar enot in water sports it is more of a getaway way without kids

Originally Posted by Melnq8
My spouse has been going to the Maldives on a yearly basis for over 20 years. For him, it's all about the scuba diving. He loves it.

His two week trips from the US to Bandos cost considerably less than your four day trip (one person though), inclusive of lodging, full board and three dives a day, plus flights to/from the US and a boat to/from the resort.

Prices in the Maldives run the gamut, depending on resort. Bandos is five star. I see that the Fairmont is also five star.

You might do a comparison between the Fairmont and other resorts in the Maldives to get a better idea of prices.

Would I spend $14,300 CAD for four nights in the Maldives? Heck no, but I'm not you.

Would I pay $2,000 CAD per night for accommodation and breakfast anywhere? No way, but again, I'm not you.

Why so much for the flights? I see flights from Dubai to Male on random dates from USD $469-796.
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 06:55 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Understood. I assumed you'd be flying from Dubai, as you mentioned visiting family? Your pricing isn't clear. If your flights include Dubai, your $14,300 price for visiting the Maldives is completely inaccurate. You're going to Dubai regardless, yes? So what is the price for visiting the Maldives from Dubai?

You asked for experiences. I gave your ours.
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 11:04 AM

If this is "more of a getaway way without kids" I, personally, don't see a need to go to the Maldives. I'd choose somewhere I really wanted to go, as one can relax away from the kids anywhere. Are there other places in that part of the world that call to you? For instance, Sri Lanka is one of my favorite trips we have taken. Staying at Tea Trails was bliss! And while it is expensive, it isn't nearly as expensive as the Maldives.

I certainly understand people who are divers wanting to go to the Maldives, but is there anything the Maldives offers that interests you?
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 06:00 AM

Hi,
I am hoping you are open for a totally different suggestion..... what about the Philippines. Excellent diving, friendly people and not so expensive.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 07:47 AM

The Seychelles are much more beautiful. The Maldives are just tiny, flat atolls and each island looks like the other.

If I had so much money to spend on a holiday I'd go to the Seychelles. The flight time from Dubai is almost the same as to the Maldives.

That said, I don't think it's worth to go only for 4 days, be it the Maldives or the Seychelles. I see that you're going to stay with your family, but 2 weeks is a lot in the UAE. Perhaps you could spend less time in Dubai and more on the islands.

Last edited by BDKR; Aug 23rd, 2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 01:21 PM

Congrats on your anniversary!
It seems to me the price for the Fairmont is way too high for what you get though that is up to you.
I plugged in 4 nights in October and found USD 740.00 per night which included breakfast and dinner so its not clear to me where your price comes from. With the conversion its about half of what you are paying and for more.
I agree with others here who say to look into going elsewhere especially if you just want to chill out.
Sri Lanka, Cyprus , Kerala, Goa are places to consider.
All the best!
Larry
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 07:44 AM

Maldives all the way
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 10:11 AM

Emirates will fly just about anywhere from Dubai so your choice is massive. I am a keen diver but have never dived in the Maldives. I certainly wouldn’t pay that sort of cash for a beach vacation anyway.

"we could do so much more for longer if we choose another destination." Of course you could. It would help other to make recommendations if you provided info on what you actually want to do. E.g, 5* city breaks, safari, trips to the rainforest.. the options are limited only by your imagination!
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 02:35 AM

Maldives 100%, one of the most beautiful places on earth