Reload this Page >

Malaysia Beach location - for kids & adults

Old Jun 29th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We are an Australian family (2 kids - 4 yrs and 6m old) and have been planning our Malaysian itinery for some weeks now (isn't that half the fun of a holiday??!) and still to decide on a couple of details.

We'll be flying into Penang at the end of August then plan to meet up with UK friends for some snorkelling, diving and relaxation. We want a sandy beach, fairly quiet, with clean but casual accommodation (beach hut style) and access to a couple of good local restaurants. Budgeting around AU$100 per night per room. Have looked at Perhentians and wonder if this area is suitable to bring little children? Have read previous posts about Malaysian beaches but the accommodations recommended at Redang and Terengannu (although gorgeous) are a bit above our price range.

Any suggestions please?

Old Jun 30th, 2008, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a wonderful, lazy time on Perhentian Besar, resting up from a bad foot. I don't remember any reason not to take kids there, except there seemed to be absolutely nothing to do but eat, sunbathe and snorkel. Maybe hike - my foot wasn't up to that.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Well that sounds fine, the children will just be happy that we have nothing to distract us from spending time with them!
We're planning 8-10 days there, would that be too long?
Is it easy enough to see other parts of the island, eat at different places etc if we get bored?
Would it be worth splitting our time between Perhentian Kacir and Perhentian Besar?
Have also read good things about Pulau Kapas (and turtles) and Cherating, although there's a Club Med at Cherating so maybe it's more developed there than we'd like.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I spent one night at the Coral View, and then limped through the jungle (on a wooden walkway) to the Perhentian Island Resort, where I spent the next few days not going anywhere, so I can't help too much. I do remember that if you want alcohol you need to take it with you - but the orange juice was delicious.

I also spent a couple of nights in Kota Bharu on the mainland - I enjoyed a shadow puppet show there, although it would have been better if I could have understood the dialog!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 07:45 PM

Redang is a bit too happening for me, especially during weekend -- crowded and noisy.

If you would like to relax and not too far away, you might go for Kapas Island, which is just 5km away from Terengganu mainland, 30 mins distance away from Terengganu airport. If you are going to bring kids, this place might suit you since it is just near to mainland and it would be easier to contact incase any emergency happened. "Kapas" meaning cotton in Malay language, which defined the sand of Kapas island is just like cotton