Mahout Training Course?

Sep 8th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Mahout Training Course?

I'll be in Chiang Mai for 3 full days in early Dec. I really wanted to do the one day Mahout training course at the Elephant Conservation Centre, but just learned that it is only available the day after we arrive in Chiang Mai from Los Angeles. I'm concerned that we will be too jet-lagged that day to enjoy it. For those who have been, do you think it would be better to just visit the Elephant Conservation Centre on another less jet-lagged day and forgo the mahout training course? Will we still have adequate time to spend with and ride the elephants? Thanks!
Sep 8th, 2007, 04:50 PM

yes
Sep 8th, 2007, 05:09 PM

It depends on what you want out of the experience.

People who do the 3-day mahout training course get one on one elephant contact, riding independently, bathing with elephant and mahout in the river, feeding, trek into jungle and hike out..,it is an intense and good experience for learning a lot about elephants, far beyond a ride. Three day program is really the minimum to get a good amount out of the program though...one day is too short imo.

Casual visitors can watch the elephants bathe, watch the show, watch participants in the mahout training program, walk around the facilitity, ride an elephant in a seat with the mahout driving on a path.

Since you only have one day, I would just visit casually. It's when you get into staying overnight and having time there to really learn that the mahout training is so much better.
Sep 8th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I think we'll just visit this time and maybe do the three day course on another trip...we unfortunately don't have time this trip.
Sep 8th, 2007, 07:37 PM

Don't do it the day you arrive. But check out the Elephant nature park -- it is the other outstanding elephant center. Maybe they have something you can do later. Otherwise just visit the elephant conservation center -- tour the facility, see the show and take a ride -- it will take half to 3/4 of the day. You'll have a great time!