Restrictions on luggage in China

Sep 8th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Restrictions on luggage in China

Hi - we will be doing some flying while in china. What are the rules for checked and carryon luggage?
Sep 8th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Similar to here and elsewhere in the world (except UK).

They do expect you to lock your checked luggage. [And no TSA-approved lock necessary. Just regular locks.]
Sep 8th, 2007, 07:25 PM

One interesting thing is that you're allowed a little more flexibility with liquids in carry-on. Typically, we could bring one individual sized bottle without question. Going through security in Beijing, we had to put the bottle through the scanner separately, but elsewhere it stayed in the carry-on bag without a problem. Once inside the gate area, there are water coolers dispensing hot and cold water, so you can fill up or refill any bottles.

Flying back out to NYC from Beijing, we weren't even allowed to bring onboard the bottled drinks we'd bought in duty-free: there was an additional table set up in front of our Continental gate where they went through everyone's carry-on bags one more time!
Sep 8th, 2007, 07:28 PM

ggreen - Your experience of security departing PEK-US is normal for almost all international-to-US flights on all carriers.
Sep 8th, 2007, 07:51 PM

rkkwan, I have not experienced that same level of security returning from Europe - but of course it could be that the rules were changed in the months since my last European trip. (I can't remember when the rules changed re: liquids, in relation to the trips.) My post was more to provide the OP with response re: security rules within China, since that is different from the US.
Sep 8th, 2007, 08:18 PM

I remember being concerned about the luggage for travelling within China. YOu are restricted to one checked in (locked as rkkwan said) and one carry on. They are more lax about the carry ons, but it really depended on the airport and the person you got checking you in. Some were very lax and some were strict by the book on the weight of the luggage you were checking in. Our guide said pick the person with a smile on their face if you are above limits. We ended up having to pay, so guess our guy wasn't smiling enough. The paying process also takes time, so add extra time if you are overweight luggage wise. Most of the hotels had scales which we used to weigh our luggage. We had to pitch a lot of clothes in Beijing to make the weight limits before flying. When we flew to China, they let us bring all the water we wanted just so we bought it inside the security area. When we flew from Shanghai back to the STates, the Chinese were good at finding EVERY bottle of water we had, so we had none for the long flight back. United was not good at providing water on the flight either.