Search

Magome -Tsumago logistics

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magome -Tsumago logistics

Hi all --

I am trying to fit walking the Tsumago -- Magone postal road into this trip after 2nights in Takayama and before 4 nights in Tokyo. It would make for a LONG day, but is the following feasible? Feasible and insane? I will have a JRpass.

Depart Takayama about 0800, arrive Nakatsugawa about noon.
Bus ... Walk...bus ...
Depart Nagiso about 1700. Arrive Tokyo about 2000. - but am I allowed to use the Hakuta or Hikari Shinkansen?

Is there a more sane way to do this? And if this is the best way, can someone suggest a hotel by Tokyo station-- I don't want to try to get Tokyo bearings after dark.

I apologize for the syntax of this post -- thumb typing on an iPad in the DMK airport ...
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 06:33 PM

It's not undoable....a long day of course. As long as you have the train and bus schedules you should be okay.

My issues would be - weather on the trail - are you going in March? Maybe still snow, not sure as I went in April. And your luggage - either send ahead or maybe check at the Nakatsugawa Station if you will return there.

Yes, you can use the Hikari with a JR Pass; I'm not familiar with the Hakuta, sorry...

As far as a hotel near Tokyo station, take a look at booking.com, there are a number close by - maybe a bit pricey as far as I'm concerned...lol....
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mara. Yes, this would be approximately March 10.

Perhaps I should find something else to fill 1 or 2 days between Takayama and Tokyo -- and arrive in Tokyo midday so I can get my bearings and navigate to Asakusa where digs seem more in my budget!
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 10:43 AM

>>Perhaps I should find something else to fill 1 or 2 days between Takayama and Tokyo

Yeah, you mean something else like a night in Magome or Tsumago! A good option would be Matsumoto and visit the castle.
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I could do a night in Magome or Tsumago ... And take a night off Takayama or Tokyo or Kyoto .... Hmmm.

Looks like there are a few places sub$100 even though it would be the weekend.

Back to the drawing board!
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 04:19 PM

Yes, either of those scenarios sound good! I did my walk from Magome to Tsumago and stayed over in Tsumago....dinner and breakfast would be included at a ryokan....
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 05:56 PM

Take a taxi from Nakatsugawa (or, if you insist, Magome) to Magome-toge (that part of the walk is just an uphill slog on roads). Spend a night in Tsumago (otherwise there's no point, the walk is not that interesting).
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 06:27 PM

Sorry, that sounds a bit negative. What I meant is that the walk on its own is not that great but, combined with a night in Tsumago, the overall experience could be good. I did not stop overnight, which I regret.
Old Feb 10th, 2017, 02:29 AM

March 10 is a little early in the season. We ran into heavy snow fall in the second week of April two years ago. Best to have a back up plan if the weather doesn't co-operate.