Lumbar Back Surgery @Bumrungrad

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im planning to have my back surgery at Bumrungrad and plan 3 weeks in Thailand. I'm wondering if it would be presumptuous to think I could travel down to the beach so I can at least recuperate with the sea air.
Darlene
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

I should ad this is my 4th trip and I will not be alone.
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 03:23 PM

I think you should consult with your doctor about it and if he/she said it's OK then go. I would bring my medical record, the phone number of your doctor at Bumrungrad and check what hospital is best at the destination you've chosen.

Hua Hin is a good beach destination within 2.5 hours driving from Bangkok with a couple of decent smallish hospital there.
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 04:34 PM

Agree with Hanuman to check with your surgeon. What kind of post-surgical care will you need such as Physical Therapy? You don't specify what kind of back surgery you will be having, but factor in recovering from discomfort of the surgery AND (patients often forget this part), the mental grogginess of pain medication and general anesthesia.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Hanuman & Jaya. Good point about medical facility, it's been weeks I haven't slept so my mental status isn't what it should be. Its my lumbar back from L3-4-5 &S1 . I can only imagine feeling better this is by far the worse pain I've ever felt or maybe it's just because it doesn't ease up and it's been months now. I will be bringing my brother to help with my after surgery care he has not been to Thailand and I would hate for him to return home without seeing at least the beach.
Thanks again for your suggestions!
Darlene
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 05:14 AM

Such surgery based on my ecperience needs 2-3 weeks of 99% immobility so going to dinner, getting to the beach, etc. based on my orthopedic surgeon woukd have been unacceptable. Following almost total immobility I had theraphy at a highly skilled PT center for 6 weeks. I wish you well but my surgery was only partially successful at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC by the #2 in the the department.Back surgery sometimes is the only option but it's outcome can be as bad as the initial problem.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 06:36 AM

Another way to pose this question to yourself is, if you were having this same surgery in a hospital where you live would you be trying to go to the beach within 3 weeks?
I'm not trying to be discouraging, but I don't want you to overdo yourself because you feel the obligation to get to the beach. It just might not be realistic and in your post-op best interest.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

My health and overall results will be the determining factor, I appreciate your input. I guess I was thinking I could recover in a condo on the beach as well as in the city. I am just so thankful my brother is coming with me I wanted him to see some of the beauty of Thailands beaches. I didn't plan on actually getting on the beach as good as that sounds lol.
Do you think 3 weeks might not be enough of a recovery period? I am a little concerned about the length of the flight home.

Again thanks,
Darlene
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 05:36 PM

The other variable you need to factor in is what if you are not ready to fly home in three weeks, can you extend your stay (probably more a financial question). I don't want to sound pessimistic, but being in Thailand is not the same as being in your own city and the logistics take on a different proportion.

If you're flying economy, it may be reason for concern (even for those of us without back issues).

You're questions are good ones. Better to sort is all out now before you have the surgery done.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 11:19 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you having a spinal fusion? If so, you may not be allowed to ride in a car and thus not be able to get to airport to fly for a while. And, blood clots are another hazard after prolonged hours of surgery. Consult with your physicians before making any post-surgery travel plans.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

Jaya,
I am on a medical LOA from work and so I can take the time needed. Financially I am comfortable to do what is needed to assure this is as successful as possible. I did get trip insurance on our tickets so if need be I don't get a hassle changing dates. I travel quite a bit so I do get concerned about DVT, I will wear my compression hose as I know getting up and down will be difficult with my back. I've made our hotel arrangements as well have transport arranged to fast track us to the hotel. I am a list maker and have like 56 lists going lol .... My appointment is for 9am on Thursday so the plan is after to grocery shop as we have full kitchen facilities. My brother is not travel savvy and I am a little concerned for him to venture too far alone. I packed my bullet and can hardly wait to get it whirling with fresh fruit smoothies.
I think my biggest concern right now is Isaac, my brother is in Florida and I am in South Carolina we meet in Chicago ... Groan.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

HappyTrvlr,
I haven't spoke to the Dr. In Bangkok yet however that would have been the plan here l3-4-5 & S1. I do remember when I had my cervical done the Dr. Didn't want me to even ride in the car for 2 month! He said all someone had to do is tap the back of me and everything could be destroyed. I was out of work for 3 months and on the 3rd day back to work I fell from the top stair of the second floor in my house. I remember thinking as I started to fall tuck my neck & protect my neck. I thank God took the majority of the bump on my butt and when I hit the bottom my daughter was already on the phone with the ambulance. My neuro said I must have had an angel holding a pillow under my head and neck.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 07:28 AM

Might I suggest that you contemplate staying at Bumrungrad itself during the period immediately after surgery? Bumrungrad has its own units on hospital grounds. It would be that much easier both for you and for your brother.

http://www.bumrungrad.com/en/service...-accommodation

Frankly, as the others are being very diplomatic about this, I think you are severely underestimating your recovery time and your recovery needs.

I believe your brother can stay with you at the residence, as it has units that range from "single bed" to "royal suites".

If he can't stay with you, there is also a very nice hotel right across the entrance to the hospital where your brother can stay while you are in Bumrungrad. It'll take him only five minutes to walk to where you'll be in the B. Residences.

http://www.furamaxclusive.com/

There's also a JW Marriott nearby plus a number of other more expensive hotels, but they are not as convenient.

IMHO, I don't think you should risk your recovery by sitting in a taxi in Bangkok traffic.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 10:05 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
With such extensive and delicate surgery, stay at the hospital's residences or very nearby. Been through this but not in BKK.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

I want to thank you all for your sage advice on my trip to Bumrungrad for back surgery. I spoke to my husband last night and prepared him for an open date on my return. I just can't imagine what I will do to occupy myself for such an extended period. I have packed a couple books, some magazines, cards and of course my laptop.
HappyTrvlr can you tell me a little about your recovery period?
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 05:43 PM

good luck and let us know how things progress
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

I'm at the airport waiting to board. Thanks again, I will keep you dated.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 05:33 AM

Probably a really ignorant question but is it that much cheaper to spend 3 or 4 weeks in Thailand? (I'm assuming cost is the reason?)
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 05:36 AM

For someone who lives in the US and is uninsured, yes.
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

I' m back from Bangkok and wanted to update you on my disc surgery. I had my surgery on the L4-5& S1 on Sept. 3rd. I was up walking that night. My surgery and recovery has been pretty uneventful thank goodness. I was told I may have to spent 2 days in the hospital however I was released the next day around noon after seeing my dr. Dr. Verapan said I had the worst L5 S1 herniation he had seen and wanted to know why I had waited to have surgery. I had to explain US insurance protocol to him.
I do want to answer Elizabeth's question, the reason I went to Bangkok for surgery was the doctors expertise the need to have a sucessful operation and the drive to get back to work in as little time. Possible. I am insured thru BCBS of NC even tho I live in SC. They too wanted to know why I wasn't willing to have my surgery in the states, I felt I had to justify why I wasn't willing to allow a doctor here perform a traditional disc surgery when I it was possible to have a more skilled doctor do a minimally invasive procedure with better results and recovery time. I did have to out of pocket the plane fare for
myself & my brother who came to help me thru recovery because my husband was unable to get away
fom work as well as a passport and expeditition fees. I also had to pay for the hotel suite for almost 4 weeks, food although wasn't cheap would be necessary wherever I was. I had to upfront an MRI before I left because it was out patient, I expect to be reimbursed thru my ins. for this. If I had to do it over again what would I do different?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -