Luang Prabang Trekking

Search

Luang Prabang Trekking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luang Prabang Trekking

We* are considering giving up one night of comfort in our hotel (Lotus Villa) in favor of doing a 2 day/1 night trek. Several companies (Green Discovery, Treasure Travel, Tiger Trail) seem to have variations on the same theme: Hiking from town to town, an overnight homestay in one of the villages, some time on the river, and sometimes also a visit to Tad Sae waterfall or Pak Ou caves. Does anyone have any experience doing this with these or any other outfits?

*me, wife, and 13-year old son
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 06:59 PM

It is easy to visit the Pak Ou caves and the waterfalls, no need for a tour company to "help" you with that. The question is whether you want to spend two days walking and an overnight in a village. You won't be getting of the tourist track that close to LP, but maybe that's ok with you.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 01:11 AM

Green Discovery have a good reputation but I would avoid Tiger Trails. We had numerous problems with them both in the booking process and on the actual tour. Trekking through the villages is great and I am sure your son would love it but be aware that on a 2 day trek you won't get too far from LP and, as Kathie says, from other tourists. I have to say I was less than impressed with Pak Ou and Tad Sae. Have you thought about an elephant trek as an alternative?
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Two years ago, we did 2 days and a night at the Thai Elephant Conservation Center near Lampang. We loved our "mahout training," but I thought we should try something new. If we're not really getting off the tourist track, then maybe we should stick to a day trip to the villages (and come home to our nice hotel room for the night).
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 06:00 PM

I've trekked with Green Discovery and was very impressed. (This was at Luang nam Tha not Luang Prabang though).

I wonder how many other tourists you would actually see on a trek. I suspect not many but I may be wrong. The people in the village would be fairly used to westerners though and probably see you as opportunity to make a sale.

However, the lanten village i stayed in was just the opposite. I went for a wander round the village at 5 pm and all the locals were out of sight in their houses. While they were not unfriendly they kept very much to themselves.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 06:46 PM

As has been posted, you do not need a guide for a visit to the Pak Ou caves. Just head down to the wharf and bargain with a boat owner.
I have had a number of dealings with Green Discovery and frankly am not impressed with them at all. They have also had some negative feedback on another travel site.
I would recommend Exotissimo. My 89 yo mother visited Laos in 2008 and again in 2009. Exotissimo tailored a trip to suit her perfectly; they emailed me with suggestions and were very helpful whenever I dropped in to see them here in Vientiane.
If you look at the Trop Adviser site, you will see that one particular guide, ($60.00 pd), has been very highly recommended by a number of people. He arranges trips to outlying villages and is apparently very accommodating. You might want to look up his details.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 02:00 PM

zainib,

I've been reading your old post about Ephesus. I have a quick question for you, could you please check that forum? Sorry for the intrusion and thanks!
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

pasqualino--done!
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 01:25 PM

I did a 2 night/3 day trek with Tiger Trails a few years ago and loved it. We were definitely off the beaten path - we didn't see another tourist for the entire 3 days. Stayed in 2 different villages, and enjoyed every minute of it.